Notices

288 or 32?

Old 05-01-2017, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I have also owned both a 288 & 32 I would have to agreed with everything "wasted income" said above his assessment is spot on! I would say take the 32' if you can find one based on your budget and as long as you do the basic engine tests prior to purchase I would not be to concerned with hours if the motors check out and the scan does not show 500hrs at WOT, 900 is approaching rebuild time even for stock 7.4's. From personal experience I would stay away from a modified/supercharged engine unless you have the skills to work on it yourself, I didn't and its expensive! My 288 was a MCOB and we loved the boat I only sold it because my kids have grown and its just the wife and I now with the occasional guest and I always wanted a closed bow 32, I had as many as 7 on my MCOB and with the extra room above the mid cabin to sit on when anchored we never felt cramped...you still need to be friends but its manageable. My recommendation would be to look for a 288 MCOB...seems like I have seen a few recently in your price range, check www.powerboatlistings.com but check the listing date some of them are very old.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by ajexpress
Maybe I need an MCOB, but I just love the look of a closed bow. I'm not overly worried about the rough water ride as I just don't see a ton of the snotty stuff where I boat. If I was boating at LOTO every weekend maybe a heavier boat would be in order, but I hear good things about sunnys.
If you don't boat a lot in the rough then a 288 will suit you fine. Once the 288 MCOB was introduced in '03, those far outsold the closed bows. Based on your budget, you'll be looking at older 288's which will all be closed bow. Any 288 MCOB in the $35K range will be a turd. Best of luck on your search!
Old 05-02-2017, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
If you don't boat a lot in the rough then a 288 will suit you fine. Once the 288 MCOB was introduced in '03, those far outsold the closed bows. Based on your budget, you'll be looking at older 288's which will all be closed bow. Any 288 MCOB in the $35K range will be a turd. Best of luck on your search!
I did notice the MCOB were on later models and out of the set price range. I could bump the price range but then I wouldn't have much leeway with the wife for boat goodies / fixes/ etc. I'll see what comes along.