Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sunsation
288 owners w/ stock 496 H.O.'s >

288 owners w/ stock 496 H.O.'s

Notices

288 owners w/ stock 496 H.O.'s

Old 04-05-2004, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My conventional wisdom tells me that if a stock 26 B1 runs 68 @ 4,700 and you thin out, and play with the diameter and have the prop blades tuned to your specific application so that it will turn 5,000 without touching the pitch.. Then you should pick up 3 mph.. I guess time will tell... I guess it depends on who does the labbing also.. I would think Merc. knows what their doing..
Old 04-05-2004, 03:23 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Chris...your logic is correct...seemingly. However, you can't get higher rpms without trading off some other factor. Usually the lab shops grind off some cup and thin the blade to get the rpms, but I found that the slip factor increased netting me zero increase in speed although I gained rpms. In fact, with less cup, it messed with my bow lift and I had to run with my drive tucked to get the best speed which we all know is not correct. Less cup also meant less cruise for me. In successful instances, labbing picks up a little on the top end, but many experience a loss in cruising speed. I know a few that had their diameter messed with and it was a disaster. And regarding your comment on "tuned to your specific application"...that's a lot of testing and money. Hulls are very different and it's more of a hit or miss exercise. You need to know if your boat likes bow or stern lift also. Again, this is just my experience and a few of my friends and is by no means the "be all, end all" of prop labbing. I've said this before, temperature and humidity have WAY more to do with your rpms/hp than any prop will. If you want top end numbers and you're not hitting your rev limiter with your current prop, go out in April on a nice chilly day and compare it to mid-July when it's 95 deg and 80% humidity. My speeds vaired by as much as 5mph. There is no substitute for horsepower...period. That's why I'll not bother with a 496HO or 502 in my next boat (unless the deal is too good to pass up obviously). However, if it works for you, that's great, let us know what you did and how it was done so we can learn from it

Last edited by Indy; 04-05-2004 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:42 PM
Registered

Indy,, I agree with your analysis 100%.. It takes a log of testing and fine tuning to yield the best numbers for a specific hull and motor combination.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:30 PM
mlitefan

One of the reasons I decided to take my 24 to a 25 was so I wouldn't need to mess with changing the diameter. was I wrong in this reasoning?

Well, like I said, hopefully this will not be an expensive mistake but if it is, it wouldn't be the first and I am sure it will not be the last.

The term "save your money" and the style of boating we are all involved with just don't go together.

Bottom line, labing a prop will produce results for some boats and a big fat zero for others. About the only way to know is to try it. Like anything aftermarket, there are pro's and con's for sure. Either way, I will post results.

Old 04-06-2004, 01:33 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

So Lar when do you plan on splashin' and trying the new spinner out? Can't wait to hear what she does...

Got the stereo in yet?
Old 04-06-2004, 07:43 AM
mlitefan

Well Rick, I pulled the boat out of storage and it rained for a week! Now I am sitting here in Denver again, getting ready to meet with a few customers and then fly to Raleigh for Wed meetings. After that I will drive home, pack our camper and head for the mountains for our Spring camping trip.

Sooooo..right now, my schedule is crazy!

Most likely, I will not splash until the end of April. I hope to get the stereo in some time next week. Baseball season is upon us and my son has a tournament two weekends from now.

I haven't even had a chance to try the new Frenzy wax yet...

On an up note, I did get the new Spargi installed. Makes a big difference.

Old 04-06-2004, 08:05 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Originally posted by mlitefan

Bottom line, labing a prop will produce results for some boats and a big fat zero for others. About the only way to know is to try it.
Yup!!

If labbing only turned out like it did for me, there would be no lab shops in existance, good luck Larry and let us know the results.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:31 PM
mlitefan

Will do...I hope I don't end up with an expensive wall ornament like you and Shawn did. Well, if so, looks like I will be caring the "spare" prop like I should in the first place.

BTW…How goes the boat search?

Old 04-07-2004, 07:50 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Well...the boat search is on hold while we build an addition and garage on the house Probably a year or so away from a boat. If we weren't going to sink money in this house I'd be into a Cig Mystique that I fell in love with a month ago. Grrrrrrrr

Did Shawn ever get a different prop?
Old 04-07-2004, 07:53 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Larry...what type of headers did you get for the 502? Do they sound better, any performance gains? Steve

Quick Reply: 288 owners w/ stock 496 H.O.'s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.