Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sunsation
Sunsation building practices... ?? >

Sunsation building practices... ??

Notices

Sunsation building practices... ??

Old 03-03-2004, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunsation building practices... ??

My brain has become a little frazzled after visiting this site:

www.yachtsurvey.com

I think I read just about every article on the entire site, from balsa coring, hardware/cleat attachement, weep holes, glass layup, aluminum gas tank installation, to stringer design...

I wish I had read this before I went to the sunsation facotry on friday.. I think I would have had a lot more questions regarding these aspects.. Has anyone talked in great detail w/ Joe or Dave regarding their build practices and the how's and why's of the way their boats are built ??

I guess I am curious about certain aspects of the build practice.... balsa coring has me the most intrigued, as well as steps that are taken to insure no water intrusion into the coring, is any hardware mounted through cored parts ?? backing plates ?? weep holes(are they fully glassed in ), k-plane how they are mounted to insure no water intrusion rots out the transom, bolsters mounted through cored floors ? All things I wished I had asked..

was also curious how well older sunsations hold over the years ?? anyone have any knowledge of older suns ??

Last edited by Chris232; 03-03-2004 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:11 AM
Registered

Chris,

THe best bet for all your questions is to call Joe, you have allot of great questions and tyring to reply here would take a few pages. Joe's here all day, give him a call.

BTW, it was great meeting you and your wife, Joe spoke very highly on the details you both paid attention too.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:14 AM
Registered

Dave, thanks for the reply.... Great meeting you guys also... There is no doubt you guys are a first class operation, we both left there stunned, people need to take a lesson about what customer service is all about.

After going to work all day thursday and driving all night, by the time 3 pm rolled around on friday, I was feeling kinda loopy...

I had made a list of important questions regarding certain aspects of the boat configuration, but didn't think to ask all of the build process questions.. I'm sure you guys are very knowledgeable and know a hell of a lot more on proper build techniques than I could ever think to ask... these articles just raised my curiosity though..

Last edited by Chris232; 03-04-2004 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:01 PM
Low Rider

I have a '94 Dominator with over 500 hrs. (2nd owner) on it and have not noticed any problems with rot. I think this boat was the 10th Dominator produced (SP332010F494). We stripped the boat and painted it with custom graphics 2 winters ago and other then some stress cracks everything else appeared to be in good working order. Next projects are to remove and paint the dash boards and then replace the cabin interior. After that I guess it will be new motors.

John