Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Sunsation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/sunsation-43/)
-   -   Sunsation or Nor-Tech (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/sunsation/95140-sunsation-nor-tech.html)

RJ1340 01-25-2005 03:13 PM

Sunsation or Nor-Tech

Time to trade in the 2000 Sonic (42)
Anyone care to voice some pros and cons:
Nor-tech 43 v. the new Sunsation 43

My power of choice is triple 525s for cheap, easy to find gas, ease of maintenance and the "spare motor" thing

Boomer 880 01-25-2005 07:16 PM

Re: Sunsation or Nor-Tech

I have driven a 43 Nor-tech (twins) and would take this boat hands down over anything except a 42 Outerlimits... and that is still in question. The materials and finish are supurb. Also, it is not a 'production' boat. However, the cost is also a bit higher (my guess).

Nothing against the 43 Sunsation, but you would be a test mule for one with triple engings. The hull is a streched Powerplay 38 with no added cabin room. I do not think Powerplay ever did a triple engine. From the Sunsation photos I have seen, the boat looks great.

Sorry to the Sunsation masses, but IMHO Nor-tech would get my $$$.

Mentalpause 01-25-2005 09:03 PM

You won't get any arguments from me Boomer, and I am in line for the first F4. Jassman and I have talked offline about this since he's considering his second Nortech 43. The F4 has no history, and you don't have a boat to compare to yet. Now knowing what I know about it, I have no doubt it will be a great value and will be a rock solid entry into the big V market.

You won't get trips with it though. Not sure the 43 Nortech offers a trip set up either. The F4 is offering staggered, pick your power. There is no question that Nortech makes an outstanding boat, maybe the very best, certainly one of the best in styling. I also think Sunsation is coming out with an outstanding boat, but not sure we are comparing apples to apples here. Well, maybe I am sure, we aren't.

I've made my choices, and stand by them. I believe the guys at Sunsation give service that cannot be beaten, maybe tied, but not beaten. For the price, they are great value. And they are committed to make a statement in the industry with this boat.

As for the added cabin room, there are some changes from the PP. The floor was lowered and deck is a bit higher, creating almost 5 more inches of headroom. The nose was pushed out, but I believe the bulkhead remains in the same place, so I don't think you gain any length in the cabin. The interior is being designed by McLeod, so it will be nice. The width was pushed out 3 inches, and they got rid of the walkways on the side, so you actually gain more than the 3 inches, the cockpit was widened more like 4-5 inches. As far as styling of the F4 compared to the PP, make up your own mind. There are plenty of work in progress pics out there to see for yourself. Obviously I am biased on that one.

jassman - comments?

red thunder 01-25-2005 10:16 PM

And the difference in price is?

Boomer 880 01-26-2005 06:52 AM

Nortech does the 43 with trips (there is one in th classifieds now), but twin #6 drives and bigger power is more common.

Price is hard to tell. I was given a price from Sunsation for the F4, but they then refused to honor the price once Denny left the organization. I still have prices with 525s and 1075 with Denny's signature on a scrap of paper.

My guess is that most of the Sunsations will be built with Bravo drives and most of the Nortechs will have #6 drives. I do not know if Sunsation has access to the 1075s yet, as you need to be apporved by Mercury to install this package.

Nortech has a great cabin and cockpit. Tons of room and top-notch work everywhere.

I think the F4 will look great. Sunsation has beautiful lines! I can't wait to see how it runs.

My guess is that there might be a premium of $50K for the Nortech with the same power and options, but this is a blue sky guess.

Jassman 01-26-2005 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by RJ1340
Time to trade in the 2000 Sonic (42)
Anyone care to voice some pros and cons:
Nor-tech 43 v. the new Sunsation 43

My power of choice is triple 525s for cheap, easy to find gas, ease of maintenance and the "spare motor" thing

RJ340, I had a 2000 42 Sonic. Loved the headroom in the cabin, but that was about it, and in its time it was a better than average boat. My quest was to find a boat with the same or more cabin height 6'2" for the amount of overnighting we do, and including all the amenities. I wanted a boat that had some lines to the hull, not just raised sections to get headroom, some curves, a boat that looked sexy in the water from every angle. I believe Nortech has achieved this. The cockpit was also important, it has alot more room than even my Sonic, its by far wider, 8 people on board is not cramped, and you can easily walk around to the cabin if needed. The extra depth gives you an additional seat behind the drivers bolsters which folds up and acts like a cushion for your legs when running hard when people are standing up. The dash is a masterpiece, by far the best looking dash in the industry to date. As to tripps, you can get tripps in the Nortech but must be a bravo boat, no room for 3 trannies in engine compartment, unless you want to sacrifice some cockpit space. I have twins, my present boat is sold, I'm in the process of ordering a twin 4300 staggered with a lighter carbon/epoxy resin layup.

As to the F-4 Sunsation, I obviously can not comment on this boat. I have watched it from its beginning and have found it to be facinating, alot of work goes into it, all the details, and Sunsation has done an excellent job. What I can tell you that everyone that I have talked to who owns a Sunsation are happy. Great service after the sale as well. You will find that this is so important these days, good service after the sale means potential customers for life, somthing Sonic needs major attention to. Jeff

RJ1340 01-26-2005 09:36 AM

Thanks, Jass
That was an excellent, thoughtful and informative review. I guess I just think that Sunsation goes out of its way to make a sexier boat. Whatever that means

Mentalpause 01-26-2005 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jassman
I have twins, my present boat is sold, I'm in the process of ordering a twin 4300 staggered with a lighter carbon/epoxy resin layup.

Jeff, congratulations on selling your current 43. :cool: :cool: Are you still looking at that piece of paper? :D

Boomer, it doesn't surprise me that Denny was out quoting prices. At that point they didn't even know how big the boat would be or what options it would have standard etc. IMO, Denny's biggest issue was he never learned to use the 3 words "I DON'T KNOW". And that ended up being a credibility issue, at least with me. So I stayed away from the guy.

I have no idea why Denny left Sunsation, but I've never had that same experience (credibility issues) from Dave, Joe or Wayne at sunsation.

The ironic thing - I heard he is doing something in some capacity with Weinstein at PP, but not sure exactly what.

PWRQWST 01-26-2005 08:59 PM

If it came from Denny look out. He would tell you what ever you wanted to hear. The guy was with Baja, then Powerquest, and then Sunsation and gone all within 5 years I believe.

Jassman. congrats on the sale that is probably a huge load off with a new one on the way. :D

Mentalpause 01-26-2005 09:23 PM

Hey Rich - did you put your order in for that 39TG you spent all your time on Saturday. I could only listen to that boatshow salesman BS for so long rationalizing 419K for twin staggered 525s and a baron cabin with nothing in it. I especially liked his answer to your question why the cigs prices are going up so quickly. What else - they are better than anything else out there. :eek: :eek: :eek: