Sarasota Article from Heral Tribune >

Sarasota Article from Heral Tribune

Notices

Sarasota Article from Heral Tribune

Old 07-04-2006, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sarasota Article from Heral Tribune

Well Gino, If you elect to run with an organization that has no organization, thats your choice and that's fine. I respect your decision.

the way I see it and hear it from others, the boat count has deminished because of the lack of rule enforcement, P boats placed in unfair classes, lack of prize money, and/or payout and lack of competition in all classes. This is why many teams have elected to sit out or go race somewhere else.

When several teams show up to a race only to race by themselves, they get frustrated and go where the competition is.

When there are 34 teams among 10 classes, vs 35 teams in 5 classes, there is a difference. There is more hardware, more eye candy and more excitement. You've been there, you know what its all about. The fans like that. Its not just about the boats on the course, the show is in the pits as well.

Gino, Im not here to fight. I'll save that for the winter time. Im just stating the facts as I see them.

Most everyone loves to race Sarasota. Almost as much as they love KW. This is not about the venues. The fact remains that unless SBI changes their program, and cater to the racers, they will only continue to lose teams to other organizations. They know they're losing teams. that is why they are reducing entry fees and offering tow money.

How do you think the City of Sarasota and the press really feels when they are told By SBI in excess of 60 boats will compete, and only 34 show? They are not idiots, they are business people. Wake up.

This is not a personal attack toward you, or an attack on SBI. I am only stating facts as I, and many others see them. If i get 30 days in the box, so be it.

Out
Old 07-04-2006, 10:23 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

It was 34 teams in 14 classes actually. Corey wanted to race P2 but was not allowed......
Old 07-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley
It was 34 teams in 14 classes actually. Corey wanted to race P2 but was not allowed......
thanks for the correction

I heard about Cory. Why wouldn't a 90 mph boat be allowed to run P2? I heard he was protested. He should have been allowed to run P-3.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Registered

Randy...

Don't look into things....

There will always be 2 main Organiztions long after were done racing....Nobody needs to throw in the towels..

SBI has been in bussiess for well over 25+ years and they did it even when they only had 15 boats or so at events...So if SBI/APBA has 15 or 50 boats...they will stay in bussiness...

But I think OSS has figured it out that they will not get 60 to 70 boats without the OPEN COCKPIT BOATS involved....

We can both agree...the so called Pro-Series teams can only maintain so many teams and were seeing all the new teams comming out are only replacing the retireing teams...

So you will see Randy...we all want to big boat count and the Organizations that takes care of the P-CLASS guys will have the big boat count..thats all...

Only you would say I'm burning bridges by making a statements, but yet I go to SBI/APBA races and I'm welcome...I go to OSS races and Joey G and alot of others welcome me..and I'm sure when we do a OPA race will be welcome.....
Old 07-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Registered

Bruce...if things are so bad in SBI/APBA things will work out by the end of the year...all the boats will leave SBI/APBA and race with OSS or OPA...

Thats your opion....and I never had a problem with you and I don't think were fighting here...just a discussion

You can post how the racing is not fair in SBI/APBA but talk to the guys in SV...ask them how compeditive the SV CLASS is...any of these guys can win on any day....there is no dominate team in SV...that what we all want in racing...so when you say there is not compeditive racing ask the teams in SV...

I just keep hearing how things are so bad in SBI/APBA but they still have the great race venues...boats still show and the ones that do...have a great time...why is that so hard to except...

Why is it that when SBI/APBA has a good turn out at a race with great publicity and great fan turn out...why others have to try to turn it into a negative....thats all

Last edited by MANITIE; 07-04-2006 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:06 AM
Registered

QUOTE "Bruce...if things are so bad in SBI/APBA things will work out by the end of the year...all the boats will leave SBI/APBA and race with OSS or OPA..."

Its already happening, one boat at a time

QUOTE "I just keep hearing how things are so bad in SBI/APBA but they still have the great race venues...boats still show and the ones that do...have a great time...why is that so hard to except"

they have multi year contracts with these cities. When the contracts are expired, the cities will re- evaluate. Of course the racers have a great time. If there were 5 boats at a site, they will still have a great time. That has nothing to do witht the quality of the show. Hell, more than 50 percent of the time, people dont even know there is a race.

QUOTE "Why is it that when SBI/APBA has a good turn out at a race with great publicity and great fan turn out...why others have to try to turn it into a negative....thats all"

34 boats in 14 classes is not a good turnout when you had 57 boats the previous year and led the city to believe 60 will be there this year. Im not trying to turn it into a negative. It already is a negative.

I know you dont want any negative publicity, because you and many others dont want to lose sponsorship. Well, sorry bout that. But the facts are the facts.

...this was a PM i just received from a race fan.

QUOTE" The SBI races have been pretty lame this year. Not even alot of boats in Sarasota" .
Old 07-04-2006, 11:23 AM
Registered

here's another Email I received from an offshore racer and Sarasota resident, watching the race.

QUOTE"The Sarasota Herald-Tribune quoted Kevin Brown as saying 60 boats would participate. About half of that did.

Two races were supposed to take place - one at 11 a.m. and one at 1 p.m. One race with two starts took place at noon. No announcement made regarding the delay or the combined start. And the starts were pathetic - typical SBI. Boats weren't lined up properly when green flags were raised. Some boats were ahead of the pace boats and other boats were way behind. What a cluster****

The newspaper repeatedly touted a four ship flyover from MacDill AFB that was supposed to occur.
The really sad thing is SBI sold the residents of Sarasota a crock of crap via incorrect reports to the local newspaper and TV stations. Basically SBI lied to the media and those lies were reported as facts. Kevin Brown knew how many boats were going to show up yet he told the newspaper that 60 boats would be racing. What BS! The mutterings heard on the street after the race back up what Doug Fernandes said in his column.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=MANITIE]
You can post how the racing is not fair in SBI/APBA but talk to the guys in SV...ask them how compeditive the SV CLASS is...any of these guys can win on any day....there is no dominate team in SV...that what we all want in racing...so when you say there is not compeditive racing ask the teams in SV...

I agree. this is probably the only class left in SBI with good competition. Notice i didnt use the word "honest"
Old 07-04-2006, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,

First off everyone should congratulate the people of Sarasota for the support of any race. No other city comes close. I personally think Kevin did a pretty awesome job and would not want the grief and pressure he surely went through. It really is too bad more boats didn't come but that is the state of offshore egos.

Remember that any good salesman (and that is what he is promoting the race) would try to generate as much excitement as possible. That might mean adding a few hopefulls that might attract more entrants. I don't know if he gets paid for this but either way, thanks Kevin.

I can tell you this first hand, Channel six was very upbeat and did some great interviews. They were genuinely interested and a pleasure to talk to. I watched and heard Dennis talking to a reporter who was looking for anything negative; boat count, poor course layout, disgruntled racers, unhappy fans etc. It was amazing that everytime Dennis answered with a positive comment he countered with another negative question. Don't know who he was but he was with a newspaper.

Anyway, thanks again Sarasota.

Carl
Old 07-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Registered

Carl...

It has nothing to do with the city of Sarasota. We all appreciate their support. And we hope they continue to support offshore.

Egos dont play a role here either, except maybe on the part of SBI. they are not treating the race teams with respect and they are not keeping it fair and balanced. Thats why so many teams dont participate anymore.

The teams want to run in a proffesionally organized event. Where politics and frienships dont stand in the way of fairplay.

Eventually, you'll see what Im talkin about.

Just for the record....Notice I never ever mentioned APBA or its officers in any of my statements.

Quick Reply: Sarasota Article from Heral Tribune

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.