Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > Super Boat International
Any interest in changing P-class speeds? >

Any interest in changing P-class speeds?

Notices

Any interest in changing P-class speeds?

Old 11-22-2006, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Any interest in changing P-class speeds?

Plus if you want to Aline SBI with OPA, then we would also have to do away with the "P" as they are doing this year. OPA will have just numbers and are doing away with the "P" as they think that it confuses spectators as to what the "P" means. This is what I read in their section. I say lets leave our regulations alone. If a team wants to do some OPA races then they need to do the necessary changes to their boat in order to comply with OPA's rules.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:13 PM
Registered

Okay,

So I get the feeling there's no interest in standardizing/changing the speeds.

As for dropping the P, F1, S, etc., we discussed that issue last year, at least dropping the P, and I seemed to be one of the few who supported it. The former P-class rep, now a staunch OPA member, did not bring it up at the owners meeting last year since the support wasn't there. Now, I also agree with Travis and Trent, dropping the letters provides more space in which to sell sponsorships and it looks more professional. I applaud OPA for making the change...it also falls in line with the numbering system our land bretheren in offroad racing use.

I'm willing to put forth proposals to the Board of Governors, but I need support for the recommended changes by a majority of the owners and I'm seeking support, or not, in this forum. Otherwise, I'll stop wasting time on this board and go spend time with my wife who says I spend too much time on this board.

I'm here to serve the P5 class and represent their interests, but I'd also like to hear what the other P-class owners are thinking since nothing in any P-class changes without the support of all the P-classes.

Thanks for your time and consideration,

Sean

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited by TGOR; 11-22-2006 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't you feel that raising the speeds is going to cost the racers more moeny because you now they will spend to now reach there classes top speed. Then you will be right back where you started with boats breaking out and asking for the speeds to be raised yet again.

When I invented and wrote the P-Class rules and outline of this class I and others really thought about the class speeds. I wanted to have the speeds in P5 and P4 low enough so that the weekend boater with a 24-29 single engine 502mag or 496ho or HP500/525 would have a place to race. Do you think that you all have eliminated these boaters? At the same time I wanted to keep it safe as P-Calss was invented so that new racers could have a place to race for a while until they graduated up to the more professional super series (ie super vlite, super v or the cat classes). P-Class was intended to GROW the sport but it seems like everyone just wants to race P-Class.

When I saw the P Class boats in Destin with OPS I was shicked at the "supercat" style engines in 26-28 foot boats being run in P5. What the heck is going on with this? These guys must be running around at 1/2 throttle so they don;t break out. How is that racing?

Last edited by FeverMike; 11-22-2006 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:45 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with Fever Mike...at the Worlds there was so many last minute changes that my vinyl installer Sonny was kept busy for two days after he wrapped the boatwraps boats,Shamoo and Platinum.Leave the classes alone let them run at there max speeds in their class and don't let a boat change class just so he can win the class. Bud
Old 11-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FeverMike
Don't you feel that raising the speeds is going to cost the racers more moeny because you now they will spend to now reach there classes top speed. Then you will be right back where you started with boats breaking out and asking for the speeds to be raised yet again.

When I invented and wrote the P-Class rules and outline of this class I and others really thought about the class speeds. I wanted to have the speeds in P5 and P4 low enough so that the weekend boater with a 24-29 single engine 502mag or 496ho or HP500/525 would have a place to race. Do you think that you all have eliminated these boaters? At the same time I wanted to keep it safe as P-Calss was invented so that new racers could have a place to race for a while until they graduated up to the more professional super series (ie super vlite, super v or the cat classes). P-Class was intended to GROW the sport but it seems like everyone just wants to race P-Class.

When I saw the P Class boats in Destin with OPS I was shicked at the "supercat" style engines in 26-28 foot boats being run in P5. What the heck is going on with this? These guys must be running around at 1/2 throttle so they don;t break out. How is that racing?
Mike,

I understand you wrote the original rules, but the fact of the matter is, the P5 boats in SBI/APBA can run 75 mph with a change in prop pitch or I'm sure the OPA boats can run 72 mph...the prop calc seems to work. And I'll reiterate, the issue is not break-outs, the issue is standardization among the sanctioning bodies. And yes, the guys with 24-29 footers with the 496 HOs, 502s and HP500/525s can run 75 mph these days. Also, I have not "graduated" from P-class; not due to lack of skill, but lack of funding required of the classes you mention. The P-classes are growing the sport because it is less expensive to race, plus, look at the purses OPA has been able to raise...for the "non-professional" classes...sounds like a good reason to me to race P-class. Not to mention the racers are as professional as any, and if you treat us any different, we won't move up in class, but are more likely to move out if disrespected.

As far as P5 class boats having "supercat" style engines...not in SBI/APBA. Our Chief Referee Kevin Brown is not going to let that happen without the approval of ALL the active registered P5 class owners. In fact, such a question came up in Key West about a new boat. I was encouraging the new owner to join us in P5, but when the inspectors went through it, they knew the engine and said the boat is capable of running P4 speeds. I defaulted to Kevin Brown's call and the boat raced P4.

I believe Trent eluded to it best...standardize the classes [among the sanctioning bodies] ...the less changes the more money saved.

Sean
Old 11-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Registered

Great Quote !!!!
Old 11-24-2006, 11:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing
I guess bottom line is if you have the speed @ 72, I will set my boat up to run 74; if you set it @ 75, i'll set it up to run 77. (Using P5 as an example)No matter what the speed is set at, everyone will set up their boats to run a little faster than the top speed, but no instead of moving up to the next bracket and being on the lower side lets change the speed, so I can be on the top side. When will it end? What was wrong with the original speeds? 70,80,90,100,110??????

A wise man once told me, "build a boat for a class, not a class for a boat" No matter what, not everyone will be happy.
Trent,

Good question...great quote.

Sean
Old 11-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dropping the "P" in P class racing would be fine with me, but if you do it, think it through. Like use "B" for Bracket Racing (that is how I explain it to people anyway) Or if you are going to just use numbers then make it easy for the spectators to understand. For instance when OPA did it, this was my reply
"Here is some of my "wishful thinking" along the same lines as the new numbering system. I wish there was some way for the spectators to understand the classes a little better. But something like...
70 - then the ##
75 - then the ##
85 - then the ##
95 - then the ##
105 - then the ##
and it would be easier for the general public if it was just 70, 80, 90, 100, etc.
just wishfull thinking!!! Keep up the GREAT WORK!!!"

Just a thought, Brad
Old 11-26-2006, 08:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TGOR
Mike,

I understand you wrote the original rules, but the fact of the matter is, the P5 boats in SBI/APBA can run 75 mph with a change in prop pitch
Sean
My boat will not do 75 with a simple prop change. It is set to run flat out with a four blade prop at 72 and never hits the rev limiter. I guess I am the only one with a boat that cannot go faster than I am supposed to. If someone wants to race OPA then he needs to set his boat to run OPA, not make the entire group adjust, I don't see this as being fare.

Last edited by magnum27; 11-26-2006 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FunHome
I'd have to give it more thought, but my first reaction is to say leave it alone.

One thing that this might do is bring more light to the subject that the Classes in OPA and SBI are different, and just because you show up at a race with P whatever on the side of your boat doesn't mean you'll be racing in that class until a fair prop calc. has been done. For instance I race in P4 in SBI but in OPA under their rules I could run in P5 (30ft and under twin and singles 75mph and under) with 75mph being an average lap speed.
OPA is Max speed of 75 not avg lap speed so you guys are not far off from where we are in OPA I could adjust with a prop to run with SBI which I may be doing sooner than later since I am Moving to Sarasota area in the near future.
JIm

Quick Reply: Any interest in changing P-class speeds?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.