Yo Awful Quiet Over Here >

Yo Awful Quiet Over Here

Notices

Yo Awful Quiet Over Here

Old 06-05-2007, 09:52 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HUMMMMMM, lets see if The Godfather can start something!
Old 06-07-2007, 11:11 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, sorry, couldn't get things together to have real good news. But ya never know in Offshore Racing.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Augie,

I know what you mean...sometimes things just take a while.

You've got to look at the big picture. What's good for a few isn't always good for the everyone else.

Hope everything goes well in OC next weekend. Looking forward to seeing all the OPA teams and the Boyz in Key West.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:36 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Ken D and all powerboat racers/Offshore/If we want this sport to go anywhere,we should all meet in O C even if the powers that be say that we should not go and support OPA.It is not about supporting OPA it is about we should all be together in one organization racing together with no EGOS and having fun. We will see everyone in OC.Lets all race together or find a different hobby,toooooo many egos getting in the way.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:36 AM
Registered

Hummmm,

I wasn't aware anyone was saying not to go to OC, certainly not anyone in SBI that I know. Maybe someone could enlighten me on who is saying don't go to OC.

SBI has a race in Hollywood the same weekend as OC. I think Smitty tried very hard not schedule an OPA race on top of any other sanctioning body's race. In some cases it just couldn't be avoided.

Logistics seem to be the restrictive factor for SBI teams not to race OPA...and vice versa. Not politics. Not Rules. Every OPA team has a class they can race in SBI. In fact, every team in every sanctioning body has a Class they can race in SBI.

I think we all need to understand the SBI and OPA are both profit motivated companies, with distinctively different areas of geographical operation that occasionally overlap. Both companies are in the same business and have a few common customers (race teams) which decide where they race independently. Most teams (the core customers of each company) make their decision on where they race based upon geographic location of each company's races, not by which company offers a better product.

As for racing together, OPA and SBI have already agreed that teams from both organizatons will race together in Key West for an internationally recognized World Championship title. Concessions have already been made by SBI and accepted by OPA. The cost to race for the World Championship is the same for every team. As a bonus, teams from OPA (and any other organization) who race in Key West will also be eligible to race SBI regular season races without paying additional equipment registration and membership fees. Unfortunately, this is not true for a SBI team who wishes to race an OPA race.

So...what's all this we all need to race under one organization stuff? Under what organization would you suggest we all race together...and why?

Last edited by KenD; 06-08-2007 at 01:46 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-10-2007, 01:59 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by MANITIE
.....I have been just sitting waiting for some GOOD NEWS on a posabilty....any answer's yet.....Ken.....anyone......
Originally Posted by KenD
Gino,

Things are out of my control, so I'm just like everyone else....waiting.

Maybe something will break by Hollywood.
Originally Posted by MANITIE
Ken....I hope soon either way...we have to make some changes to the schedule if so....but we will need some time to get the OK on them....the more time we have the easier it will be to make the changes...
Originally Posted by AugiePensa
Nope, sorry, couldn't get things together to have real good news. But ya never know in Offshore Racing.

Augie,

I know what you mean...sometimes things just take a while.

You've got to look at the big picture. What's good for a few isn't always good for the everyone else.
OK,

Would anyone like to enlighten us on just what is going on ?

If this has anything to do with Key West, I and others I am sure would like to know.

Is it a done deal ? Are both organizations racing in Key West or not ?

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 06-10-2007, 02:20 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Question

The cost to race for the World Championship is the same for every team. As a bonus, teams from OPA (and any other organization) who race in Key West will also be eligible to race SBI regular season races without paying additional equipment registration and membership fees. Unfortunately, this is not true for a SBI team who wishes to race an OPA race.
Ken,

You lost me here....

Key West has always been the 1st race of the following calendar season. Which means any racer that races in Key West is paying for the full SBI season no matter who they are associated with.

I don't know the details of what was worked out with OPA, but you say everyone is paying the same to join SBI to race in Key West. That would entitle every entrant to race any SBI race throughout the season.

How do you feel that it is a BONUS for OPA?

They are paying for a full season up front whether they race the rest of the season or not with SBI.

If you choose to race an OPA race, look at the bright side, there are no race entry fees the entire season. Just a one time modest equipment and membership fee.

Now unless JC plans on splitting the money with OPA for the fees in Key West, I don't see why OPA should allow you or anyone else come join OPA for FREE when the other OPA teams are paying to do so?

Just My Honest Non-Biased Non-Racer Opinion for whatever it is worth!

Old 06-10-2007, 10:19 AM
Registered

Shark,

I think you might be confused about the different subjects discussed above. My exchange with Gino (Manatee), was in reference to what is happening with the proposed Vee Bottom format that has submitted to SBI.

My response to Augie was in recognition that it sometimes takes a while for things to come to fruition, and you have to look at all sides before you can make a decision. Although, now that I look at Augie's remark again...I'm not really sure what he was referring to. Maybe he could clarify what was meant.

My remarks about Key West were in reference to the good relationship between OPA and SBI even though both are profit motivated corporations and share some of the same customers (race teams). Key West and the fact that Smitty (Wazzup) tried not to schedule an OPA race on top of anyone else are examples of that. Simply pointing out that neither is trying to undermine the other by suggesting (or organizing a boycott) not to race the other organization. I call that mutual recognition, respect, and fair play...something new…or at least not seen for a long time, between Offshore sanctioning bodies.

If you are wondering or have questions about Key West, I suggest you review the Thread started by Smitty back in March of this year. The subject was pretty well covered then. Here is a link to the Thread:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...light=Key+West

You might want to post your questions regarding Key West under that Thread rather than getting off on a tangent here. It would help to keep the discussion in perspective.

Ken

PS:
I have to admit, Smitty’s remarks this week as quoted below from another thread do make me wonder…just a little bit. I guess it will all flush out soon.

Originally Posted by WAZZUP

I spoke to Randy, he is in. The shame is we go through all this effort TV and all. And the political BS is still a killer. Just makes me work a little harder. Negotiations had just begun for Destin. Dead issue now.(emphasis added)
Old 06-10-2007, 01:55 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by sharkeymarine
Ken,

Now unless JC plans on splitting the money with OPA for the fees in Key West, I don't see why OPA should allow you or anyone else come join OPA for FREE when the other OPA teams are paying to do so?

Just My Honest Non-Biased Non-Racer Opinion for whatever it is worth!
Sharkey,
My opinion, you are correct. Very often these free or reduced fee deals end badly and piss off the regular members in the process. I belong to Team Low Budget but if we were coming to an OPA race we would read the rules and expect to pay what the members pay. It does seem that this discussion raises it's head every year at about this time. Our class was gutted three years ago when someone offered free entry. It served only a temporary purpose, and alienated the guys who were paying their fair share.
As usual it's very stand up of Smitty to try to schedule around other events but it can't always happen.
Just a few wandering thoughts. I apologize if there is a bigger issue I'm missing or not informed about. SQ
Orders for 08' DVC hulls now being taken.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:59 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by stevequick
Sharkey,
My opinion, you are correct. SQ
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Yo Awful Quiet Over Here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.