Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > Super Boat International
Nationals in Panama City Beach >

Nationals in Panama City Beach

Notices

Nationals in Panama City Beach

Old 09-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete , Thelongest pier WAS pretty cool . ( google still shows it there ) someone may chime in . Anyway I tried both , . the beach at the east end is tall ,lending the best opportunity for air shot;s . My opinion only . If you go and post on here Thank you .

Last edited by dont,lie,to,me; 09-20-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Registered

Pete,

There have been two piers in PCB for about 40 years, but after repeated hurricane damage in the past five years they were beginning to get in bad shape, and the county decided to tear them down this past spring, and build two brand new ones. I guess this is good and bad news. Good news is were getting two brand new concrete $3 million dollar piers. The bad news is there wont be any piers for the race. There are several waterfront bars between the locations of the piers that are geat viewing points. (Sharkys, Hooters, Breakers, Pineapple Willys, etc.) From the standpoint of taking pictures, I would recomend Pineapple Willys as it has a pier bar that actually goes out to the edge of the gulf, but not into it. It will privide you with the highest vantage point, and is pretty much directly in between both turns. Also, if you desire a boat, the enitire charter fleet, parasail, and dive boats, are basically thru for the season, and Im sure you can charter one for pretty much gas money. If you have any questions about that, let me know and I can put you in contact with some folks. My family and friends will most likely be taking one of the big Sea Rays from the dealership to watch on sunday. If you have any more questions, just let me know.

Adam
Old 09-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Registered

Pat D,

After reading the exerpt from the official press release.

-" On Sunday, all competition boats will begin the entry into the water starting at 11:00 a.m. from the marina at Marina Landing Condominiums on the northwest side of St. Andrews Bay and cruises out to the Gulf of Mexico."-

Marina Landing condos are brand new gi-normous units at the foot of the hatheway bridge. It is about 10 miles east of pier park and back beach road (highway 98) It should be an EXCELLENT place to launch the boats. There is a large marina full of floating docks, so each boat should have a place to tie up. The marina is almost COMPLETELY empty as well as the condo. It was a pre-construction deal that never filled up when the bottom fell out the market. In April they were auctioning off the units for pennys on the dollar. Nonetheless, it is a beautiful facility that will be a great place for the cranes, easy acces for the rigs from the highway, and easy access out to the gulf. The only disadvantage I see is, is that is is quite a bit farther to the pass than last years location at pirates cove marina. As far as driving there from pier park, a blind man could find it. We have three major roads that run east and west parrallel to the gulf. Front beach, middle beach, and back beach (highway 98). Pier park sits on smack dap in between front beach and back beach road. The rigs will pull out of pier park, turn right (east) on back beach (highway 98) and head in a striaght line due east for about 10 miles and bam. Marina bay is on the left side of the road. Cant miss it. I hope this helps.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Skaterkat......
Thanks.
We won't tell John I asked that question.....I have a history of getting in trouble with him for not reading press releases.
See you soon.......sounds like it's going to be a good one.
PD
Old 09-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,736 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Originally Posted by SKATERKAT
Pete,

There have been two piers in PCB for about 40 years, but after repeated hurricane damage in the past five years they were beginning to get in bad shape, and the county decided to tear them down this past spring, and build two brand new ones. I guess this is good and bad news. Good news is were getting two brand new concrete $3 million dollar piers. The bad news is there wont be any piers for the race. There are several waterfront bars between the locations of the piers that are geat viewing points. (Sharkys, Hooters, Breakers, Pineapple Willys, etc.) From the standpoint of taking pictures, I would recomend Pineapple Willys as it has a pier bar that actually goes out to the edge of the gulf, but not into it. It will privide you with the highest vantage point, and is pretty much directly in between both turns. Also, if you desire a boat, the enitire charter fleet, parasail, and dive boats, are basically thru for the season, and Im sure you can charter one for pretty much gas money. If you have any questions about that, let me know and I can put you in contact with some folks. My family and friends will most likely be taking one of the big Sea Rays from the dealership to watch on sunday. If you have any more questions, just let me know.

Adam
Thanks Adam,
I am shooting the Sarasota Poker run on SAT, then driving up, probably wont get there until late Sat afternoon or early evening. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pat D
Skaterkat......
Thanks.
We won't tell John I asked that question.....I have a history of getting in trouble with him for not reading press releases.
See you soon.......sounds like it's going to be a good one.
PD
Pat,

Didnt we meet last year at treasure island marina with John? I may be mistaken.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by SKATERKAT
Pat,

Didnt we meet last year at treasure island marina with John? I may be mistaken.
It's a possibility. If you come into the pits, look me up. I will be in registration. PD
Old 09-22-2008, 09:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pat D
It's a possibility. If you come into the pits, look me up. I will be in registration. PD
I will definetly be in the pits. I'll be working with WHM. Yes, I think we did meet last year at the marina and I also worked on a turn boat and did some scoring for you guys the previous year. Look foward to seeing you all again this year. If you have anymore questions about the area, just let me know.

Adam
Old 09-24-2008, 11:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

OK - - the SBI rig is here- - ready and waiting!!
Also, for anyone bringing a boat to the dry pits: come in off of Hwy 98 and turn right on Powell Adams Rd which is at the West end of Pier Park (by Target). Come down Powell Adams to the third road, L.C. Hilton Drive and turn right. This will take you right into the pits.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails Nationals in Panama City Beach-dsc01693.jpg  
Old 09-24-2008, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pete ,

We have a room on the beach on the 7th floor at turn 3-4 if that works you are welcome to shot from there. Not sure if that is good or bad for u.

Frank

Quick Reply: Nationals in Panama City Beach

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.