Notices

SVL Key West

Old 11-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

building a svl
call tony pacheco and get him out of retirement...or the clouds...I bet he would build a fast boat if he got the right rigging and people... a SVL 32 rigged by pompi or stotler...that becomes a game changer.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy

I agree we will see a lot of new hulls shortly, word is that Skater has one on the drawing board , and Chris in Miami has one built already. There is no magic boat just some teams r btter then other, good example is the Fountain had a team change in KW and was beat. The sport needs to move forward and that is going to happen one way or another. Look at the great job Steve K has done with one of the oldest boats in the fleet , he is right on the tail of the OuttterLimits and will work harder and get closer believe me.
Randy you talk about spending more money all the time, but you have teams giving Mers $10,000 - $12,000 to get their motors sealed. Teams dont spend that all yr to run, and the cost of a rebuild is much cheaper because the motor doesnt have to go back to merc we just get teched. You talk about this new bigger and better 525 hope you are read to write the check for a new bigger and better 525. The boats in SBI have ran all yr and no failures that was a big issue with some team about the motors lasting so we provrd that wasnt an issue. Really they arent running crazt RPMs the boxes are set up to 6,000 but the motors make thier HP power at 5,600-5,700 rpm. How do you run sealed motors with NO teching ??? We all tried that 10 yrs ago and it didnt work time to move foward and get Merc out of our pockets they do nothing for us.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Registered

Look at the sport and the changes that r being made and where its going. The new SuperBoatt class guys ran awesome and every boat finished 3 days of hard racing when was the last time u saw that in KW ???? Great job guys and awesome motor package, oh did i forget to mention 4 different motor builders are back in the game and 1 of the 4 wasnt Merc.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Andy, First you have to decide where you want to race. SBI or OPA/OSS. They have 2 totaly differant motor package rules. The guys in either group are great to race with. If you remember back in the F1 days we all had the same motor's,drives,Xdem and weight based on length and if you had a notched transome. The racing was off the charts good with big fleets of boats as you know. SVL is trying to keep that same style of racing. The big elephant in the room is the motor. What your budget is has a lot to do with it as well. A stock Merc. 525 package will last longer than a modified 525 with unlimmitted RPM. Then add in your drive life with the extra RPM and HP. Just my opinions for what its worth. Call me for more details 908-754-4448 work and then call Frank from SBI. Listen to both pro's and con's and decide whats best for your team. You are no rookie at this so no one is going to BS you.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Registered

No motor issues?????? Steve will never catch the new OL unless he builds more HP. He put his life on the line trying to run him down and if im a betting guy he was over trimmed because he knew it was his only option to try and hang with the OL. Maybe you didnt see the TV show of the attitudes of the other boats compared to the OL. The OL was bow down and punching threw with tabs down. That my friend takes HP. Nothing wrong with it and my hats off to the team for haveing the best and most expensive boat out there. Who else has those kinds of resourses in our class? This has turned into the Berni Little of the Hydro planes where if you have the most money you win. Not what most of us sighned up for when we bought our boats. Its out of controll IMO. Is there going to be Parity put on these new boats????? If I spent that kind of money and was legal and you put parity on me for having a better boat I would be pissed. So now what?

PS the merc rebuild is closer to $10K and your motor last 3-4 years with no maint. other than possably a set of valve springs. And with that 10K you get all your parts back including your complete set of heads worth ???? When they rebuild you get a new complete set of heads included and a dyno pull. As far as I know no one has ever had a 525 sealed motor blow in SVL. EVER !!!!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

. I aplaud all the SVL teams for there hard run in what looked like some big water. Now go build more power to close the gap. The race now is who will have the best engine builder
MD
So, a "stock" or sealed 525 is no longer required?
I know I've been away from racing for a while, but I didn't realize that anyone could "build" a higher horsepower legal 525

Last edited by Gordo; 11-12-2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: .
Old 11-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plain truth is there are two different classes in SVL.

The merc rebuilds are worth every penny. My engine has 94 hours on it and I promise anybody that it has run very hard. It has been in the boat since 04. When you turn any engine up it becomes less reliable stating anything else is pure BS.

I do agree that the talent of the individual teams play a big part in any racing.
Why some teams finish 4 minutes behind.

Wil
Old 11-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

I would like some clarification on this legal "turned up" 525 also. I thought that was cheating. What about weight?
Old 11-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Registered

You need to go to SBI tec. rules for details. In a nut shell in SBI you can take your stock merc 525 and in the spirit of a rebuild you can punch it out to a 510 cubic inch, increase the compression to 9:1 and do what ever you want with the computor including unlimited RPM. The rest of the internals are to remain stock.
OPA/APBA kept the stock sealed merc. 525 package with absoluty no modifications of any kind. The same as it has been since the beginning of Factory spec style racing (1999 ?).
So first you have to relize there is 2 differant organization both with differant rules.
weight is 4750 lbs in both org's. In an attempt to see if the SBI style boats with the bigger motors could race with the OPA/APBA style boats they were invited to race with an additional 250 lbs and rev limiters at 5600 RPM. with Vortec motors.
Does that help???

Please if anyone is interested in details on the SVL class please call both OPA and SBI teams. My number is 908-966-3173
Randy
Old 11-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Registered

Please feel free to call anytime if u have any questions.
Frank 321 693-0023

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.