Notices

Mich City 2013

Old 08-05-2013, 03:39 PM
freezeframevideo.net
Commercial Member

Received 779 Likes on 576 Posts

It Was A great Race all The Photos From Event Are Posted at www.freezeframevideo.net
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
Old 08-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AB From Windsor
Yes I have heard your point about the short course roundy race around more then once. I'm sure you have also heard my side before about the open Ocean races and Lake races. This is something that will never be resolved to everyones satisfaction but here I go. Yes the Ocean races were fantastic to watch on DVD or T.V. with helicopter coverage but when it came to spectator viewing you could only see them leaving and coming back. What do you do in the mean time, have a little snooze for a while and if I'm going with family or friends or travelling to see some racing, thats what you want to see. The best "spectator" viewing courses are the short 4 mile course where the spectators can see the entire race and there is continuous race action for them to enjoy compared to the occassional Ocean race action. Its as simple as that, its all about bringing in spectators to spend their money at race sites, enjoy continuous race action and that is what sponsors want to see, dought what I say, how many boats were at Michigan City 9? How many spectators were at that race? How many boats were at that flat 4 mile round course at the St. Clair River Classic the week before, at least 50 boats even thought the boat count was down? How many spectators were at the St. Clair 4 mile round course? I can tell you quite few as usual. The question is why? Compare the two types of race courses and best spectator viewing of the race and the "short 4 mile round course" is exactly what the spectators want to see. I love Offshore Powerboat racing and you can tell me that it is not Offshore Powerboat racing but pond racing and it is OK. Those that have raced in the earliers years only remember what they have done but its really about what the spectators want because without a big race boats count and without big crowds of spectators you really have no racing at all and if your a sponsor you want to spend your money where the spectators are. I feel sorry for the organizers of the Michigan City Race for all the hard work they put into this event but as a spectator I'm glad I didn't go to Michigan City and went to the St. Clair River Classic and watch some great racing on that flat roundy 4 mile course. Maybe it is really time to bring all the orgs together and have big boat counts at selected races. That just my 2 cents.
Unless u have been to the races in Michigan City your post is useless. The racing was great as was the course. The water was great for us spectating. The crowds were down a bit, I suspect because the race was cancelled last year. This was due to a possible drowning child and 10' seas. The sbi course marshall will confirm the wave heights. Being a helper on the course marshall bost I can assure you both throttle man and drivers were busy navagating through the challenging lake Michigan waters. As i was feet away from the action I can aassure you that the water was big. As a local and a performance boater, I personally would like to thank all the racers, SBI and everyone that is involved putting on yhe great show. Dan and I are excited to volunteer again next year.

Last edited by Magic Medicine; 08-05-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Magic Medicine
Unless u have been to the races in Michigan City your post is useless. The racing was great as was the course. The water was great for us spectating. The crowds were down a bit, I suspect because the race was cancelled last year. This was due to a possible drowning child and 10' seas. The sbi course marshall will confirm the wave heights. Being a helper on the course marshall bost I can assure you both throttle man and drivers were busy navagating through the challenging lake Michigan waters. As i was feet away from the action I can aassure you that the water was big. As a local and a performance boater, I personally would like to thank all the racers, SBI and everyone that is involved putting on yhe great show. Dan and I are excited to volunteer again next year.
Thats your opinion about the post being useless, I'm sure the racing there was exciting as I love watching JD BYRIDER, WHM Motorsports, STIHL Offshore Racing and all the other great race teams but as for usless who knows, its your opinion and thats fine with me. How close was the racing to the spectators on shore? I know that it must have been close to the spectator fleet watching the race. Its about what spectators want and not about what you or me want, in the end the crowds and boat count says something.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

"How many boats were at that flat 4 mile round course at the St. Clair River Classic the week before, at least 50 boats even thought the boat count was down? "

There were only 27 boats in St Clair this year, not "At least 50" ....... carry on.....
Old 08-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

This shouldn't be turned into an argument. AB, watch the race. I think the stream is still available on the SBI site. They were right along the shore and spectators could see the whole race. I think you'll enjoy it if you watch it. I just find it much more exciting watching the racing when they have to deal with the elements. It's what the sport was founded on. I was really impressed by how well some of the boats handled in the turns even with the rough conditions. I can tell you from experience it is a really difficult chore to keep that wheel turned when you feel like you might go over at any moment. That takes brass ones.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thats your opinion about the post being useless, I'm sure the racing there was exciting as I love watching JD BYRIDER, WHM Motorsports, STIHL Offshore Racing and all the other great race teams but as for usless who knows, its your opinion and thats fine with me. How close was the racing to the spectators on shore? I know that it must have been close to the spectator fleet watching the race. Its about what spectators want and not about what you or me want, in the end the crowds and boat count says something.
If I remember correctly the course is 4.2 miles long and is an oval. When running on the beach side (South) they are anywhere from 250 - 300 feet offshore....the spectator fleet (Boats) are about the same when they are on the North side of the course. Even when the boats are on the North side of the course you can see them from the beach as they are only 450ish feet offshore. I don't think you would want to be any closer. JDByrider, WHM and Stihl ran the shi* out of their boats the entire race in big seas....the SVL guys did as well. The other boats ran hard even though they did not have anyone to race against in the effort to put on a good show. I applaud every team that showed up and hope that they continue to come back as it is a great event!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

200'
Old 08-05-2013, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley
"How many boats were at that flat 4 mile round course at the St. Clair River Classic the week before, at least 50 boats even thought the boat count was down? "

There were only 27 boats in St Clair this year, not "At least 50" ....... carry on.....
You are correct and thanks for pointing that out to me but it sure seemed like 50 boats racing around to me.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by smokeybandit
This shouldn't be turned into an argument. AB, watch the race. I think the stream is still available on the SBI site. They were right along the shore and spectators could see the whole race. I think you'll enjoy it if you watch it. I just find it much more exciting watching the racing when they have to deal with the elements. It's what the sport was founded on. I was really impressed by how well some of the boats handled in the turns even with the rough conditions. I can tell you from experience it is a really difficult chore to keep that wheel turned when you feel like you might go over at any moment. That takes brass ones.
I respect you and your opinion and the last thing I would want is for it to become personal, these are just opinions of people who have a passion for the sport we love. I will try to look at the life stream and I do know that those who raced are some of the best in the world and professional racers which I have high regard for.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by waterboy1
9 boats in 5 classes is a perfect race...come on.
I agree good point, class 7 ONE BOAT perfect class...Lol

NONE in St Clair even better .... perfect perfect perfect class.

Last edited by Xtremeracing; 08-05-2013 at 09:52 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.