Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > Super Boat International
APBA P-Class National Points System >

APBA P-Class National Points System

Notices
View Poll Results: How should P-Classes run for a National Tiltle in APBA Offshore?
Do P-Classes race for a shoot out in Tampa for the National Championship?
43.33%
Do P- Classes race the Pro Series and acquire points like the Pro Series Classes do?
56.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

APBA P-Class National Points System

Old 04-22-2003, 07:04 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face spark plug wire

Can you believe it - the damn spark plug wire came off! The BAJA was out of reach but the Pantera was getting ready to be passed - Bruce where did they officially score you? They had us at 3rd at the inspection trailer - BH
Old 04-22-2003, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian...

They scored us third as far as I can tell. We were going after the Baja "high priority". We had him but didnt pass because we misread a yellow flag and did not pass. Then we blew the motor. and immediatley after that ,they red flagged the race. So, yes it was a great battle and still anyone's race going into lap 7.

Parts are on order. We are planning on being ready for Ft Myers.

See ya soon..Good luck in Marathon if thats your next stop
Old 04-22-2003, 11:32 PM
Registered

It is very nice to see a group of P4 and P5 racers who are enthusiastic about racing the classes they race.

My name is Rick Young and we have just bought a boat we will be racing P4 out west. Unfortunately we are going to miss the first race in Oceanside but plan to be at the rest of the races (POPRA). No plans to attend the Worlds yet, but who knows.

We have purchased the P4-11, Reindl from Harry Clack.

Best wishes,
Rick
Old 04-26-2003, 12:28 PM
Registered

Opinions are like *******s...everyone has one. Why is there so much ongoing controversy and inuendo regarding the "P-Class" boats? They are just another class of boats. Some of the P-Class racers have been in their class for years (like us) because it is competitive and fun. It certainly isn't for the notoriety or cash prizes!!! The people in these classes are a tight knit group and they look out for eachother. We enjoy racing with these people! The P-classes are growing. There are more boats registered every year, and the competition is more fun that way! Believe it or not, there are alot of racers in Outlaw Performance who have plenty of cash (or the means to obtain it), to advance up to higher classes, but why should they if they don't choose to? Why should they give up racing the boat they have just because someone thinks that the "PC Racing" thing to do is go bigger, faster, and more expensive? Not everyone out there is racing for blood or cash. Some of the racers are out there just racing for the love of the sport. Of course our guys want to win when they go out there, and they race just as hard in their "poor little P-class" boat as the "Real Racers" do in their big expensive raceboats.
This mentality that the P-classes aren't worthy of the same race course as the larger boats is ridiculous. If paying higher entry fees is what it will take to stop this, then I welcome it!
Old 04-28-2003, 08:38 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

Huh?

Who said anything about "poor little P boats"?

"This mentality that the P-classes aren't worthy of the same race course as the larger boats is ridiculous."
I must have missed something here. Who said this?

"If paying higher entry fees is what it will take to stop this, then I welcome it!"
A sincere question here, have you raced in the APBA-Offshores' P class? If so, for how long? I ask this because less than two years ago, APBA Offshore actually lowered P class entry fees in order to make it more affordable for entry level teams to race.

Maybe this is from another conversation or thread?
Old 04-28-2003, 08:48 PM
Registered

This is our team's 3rd year racing. Team Vixen Racing P5-16
The irritation of my last post results from the ongoing posts and digs about the P-classes being "entry level" only, and if you want to be a "real racer" move up to a bigger boat, and "should they be entitled to points, cash or a flag". Racing evolves like anything else, I admit that. While I will agree that P-class is the place for an entry level "wannabe" to start, it doesn't mean that the majority of us returning year after year are a bunch of weekend warriors who get a kick out of taking our little speed boats to the races and "running what we brung". There is as much time, money, effort, testing, practice and aggravation put into some of these P-class boats as there is in alot of the larger boats. Alot of us are just as dedicated and demanding of our equipment and I can assure you that the P-boats crash just as hard as the larger more expensive boats!
We race Outlaw Performance because we not only enjoy the boat we run, but we enjoy the people with which we run. Thats what keeps us coming back year after year, pure love of the sport.
I am aware that the fees were lowered, believe me. SBI followed suit this year and is also offering lower fees. My point was and still is, if paying a higher entry fee will assure the P-classes of their place on the circuit, and all that it entitles them to, then I am all for it. Sorry Mel, I know you pay the entry fee but I'm trying to make a point!

Jerri Howard
Old 04-28-2003, 10:32 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jerri,
You make some very good points here. Not that I have a world of experience under my belt, but I have raced everything from Super V, to Super V light, to Factory 1 to Outlaw P-4. In other words, I've been in both pastures, which I feel allows me a little larger view of the big picture.
As you have said, the Outlaw Performance class were originally designed as an entry level class, for new teams to get some racing experience and get their feet wet (so to speak) in offshore racing. The popularity of the outlaw Performance classes has obviously expanded dramatically, and I don't think anyone will argue your point that there are some very skilled, experienced and talented teams now racing in the Outlaw P classes. In fact, some Factory teams are running on Saturday in the Outlaw P classes as a tune up for their respective Pro Series classes. This does not undermine, nor does it demean the outlaw classes, but you have to understand that there IS a difference between the Pro series and the Outlaw series. Alls I would ask of you is to please understand that part of the reason why the Outlaw series is so successful is because there are less technical rules to deal with, which makes it easier for any given team &/or boat to race in the Outlaw series. This being the case, there is quite a different level of stress compared to some of the Pro series boats. This does NOT mean anyones specific Outlaw P class boat is any less expensive, or that racers face any less risks, or that P class teams do not push just as hard on the race course. It does, however, mean that some in Outlaw Performance class can race with less time invested, less money invested, and potentially less overall commitment to their season. I'm not saying that all P class teams are not as serious about their racing, just saying there are many more things involved with a pro series boat.
Again, this is not to sound demeaning, or to downplay the importance nor the competitiveness of the Outlaw Performance teams. But you have to admit, there is a difference in equipment restrictions and requirements that make a definate difference.
I hope to see you in Marathon. If so, please look me up and we can discuss this over a cold one. In fact, I would like to get together with any and all of the Outlaw Performance teams to discuss your ideas and perspective of the series.
Good luck, and good racing,
Mike "Gordo" Gordon
P4-78
GM Vortec / Sherwin Williams Racing

Last edited by Gordo; 04-28-2003 at 10:35 PM.