Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > Super Boat International
APBA P-Class National Points System >

APBA P-Class National Points System

Notices
View Poll Results: How should P-Classes run for a National Tiltle in APBA Offshore?
Do P-Classes race for a shoot out in Tampa for the National Championship?
43.33%
Do P- Classes race the Pro Series and acquire points like the Pro Series Classes do?
56.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

APBA P-Class National Points System

Old 03-10-2003, 10:22 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default APBA P-Class National Points System

What do you guys think? I say acquire points all year long just like the Factory Classes , etc! BH
Old 03-10-2003, 10:31 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

you should have to race 2 races in your own region and then race Tampa for the National Championship. It's way to expensive to race the whole tour. If someone wants to race the whole tour they should build a national class boat. Remember just a few years ago that is how the factory classes were too.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that you should have to win points over the entire season. It doesn't make sense to me that you can race 2 times (last year), win one race, and be crowned a National Champion. I went to New Orleans for SBI Worlds last year, and ended up winning the Divisional National Championship in P5 without even racing SBI before. I'll take it I guess, but I almost feel guilty about it.

Having to win points at all the different races sites, in a variety of water conditions, is the best way to determine a winner. If you have a fast boat in very smooth water, and Tampa is dead calm (like Cleveland last year), the water conditions would have more of a bearing on who wins. Very rough water would have the same effect, only with a different winner. Over the course of an entire season, you would encounter all types of water. Also, 1 mechanical failure would not put you out of the running. Just my $.02
Old 03-10-2003, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to agree with Ryan, "P" class (I hate that name) should be kept as divisional points.
If boat racing were to follow the format of car racing, "Sportman Series" or "P" classes, should race for divisional points. If someone wants to spend the time and money, step up to "Pro Series" classes.
I think boatracing should follow the lead of car racing on this.
Bob G.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RB is correct...i think they should have only 4 classes, at the most, on the pro tour...WAY easier for spectators to figure it out and sell it for that matter...i think this maybe the first steps toward that goal?? i don't like that we have to run 2 regionals on top of the pro series. they want to better the numbers at regional events...again, part of a larger plan i think, to have regional racers feed into the pro series. again, i really don't look at this like a hobby nor does the APBA.

ps. i have not looked at any rules that only apply to the p-class boat,,,so i'm only going on your statement and put'n my .02 in...cya at the races!
Old 03-10-2003, 12:29 PM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you can't make the points divisional only, there all in Fla. other than TX the bahamas and Georgia (which is close to Fla) and Milwaukee,Wisconsin . so for any one in the N.E. it is going to be expensive. that would make it fair. southern racer go to more races (better show for the fan's) and the northeners have to spend the money if they want it.

if you only want to run one or two races that's fine but the teams that put in the effort and time to follow the pro series should also get rewarded with the national points championship.

more on this later.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

MRV8,
I agree with you to an extent-wouldn't it be nice if we could get OPA to become an APBA divisional affiliate. If it was run as a club, then the members would have a say.......
Old 03-10-2003, 02:58 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Ryan Beckley
you should have to race 2 races in your own region and then race Tampa for the National Championship. It's way to expensive to race the whole tour.
I'm with the Stickerdude here. Remember, "P class" is supposed to be an entry level class that people can race with minimal expense. While P-X, P-1 and P-2 have some expensive equipment competeing in them, P class is still a class where a low budget can compete against a big checkbook. As an example, If someone can make a start in two pro races, &/or 3 divisional races, then that should qualify them for a shot at the big title.
Just my opinion.

Last edited by Gordo; 03-15-2003 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:51 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink P3 - Entry Level?

Gordo:

C'mon P-3 ain't entry level. Tell Dirty Cash , Miklos and The Sutphen guy's they're entry level. Our 38 Top Gun ain't cheap either ! The only reason we ran P-3 was so we could have a dual purpose boat , and 13,000 lbs- 38 ft long and running almost 90 mph is a blast racing , plus I have a boat to use on the weekend now! I also didn't see any other race boats making the pass to The Bahamas or leaving Key West Monday morning after The Worlds, heading North - ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh I feel better - BH
Old 03-10-2003, 05:43 PM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

P-class entry level.... mabey to some , but most are old A,B.
,C and D boats that no longer fit into the new pro classes. this does not mean entry level. Alot of these boat are faster than F-1 but don't fit the class.

Entry level is in one's ability not in the equipment. if you have the cash to buy a super cat , after one race it's ball's to the wall if you got em.

more later

Quick Reply: APBA P-Class National Points System

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.