How Fast, Y2k,staggered Big Blocks. >

How Fast, Y2k,staggered Big Blocks.

Notices

How Fast, Y2k,staggered Big Blocks.

Old 08-05-2005, 12:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How Fast, Y2k,staggered Big Blocks.

Originally Posted by lightspeed
You Want Stagger Go Buy a Cigarette Not In One Of These Things
Oh No Gary,
The guy that bolts the motors in place doesn't like the idea.
You can buy two 425HP small blocks cheaper than those 496HOs anyhow.
And we'll still have room for the babes too.

Last edited by Pat McPherson; 08-05-2005 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gary, If your trying to get speed and reliability, just have a big motor built with a speedy drive. Even if you go stock twin set-up, what do you think keeps Merc sevice departments open? You think stock engines don't have problems? Take a look in the back of a big Merc shop. You'll most likely see a few broken stock Merc short blocks. I know we do over here. Look at the valve spring issues on HP500, oiling issues on 496HO, Hello!
Old 08-05-2005, 04:21 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No Bad Feelings.... Lightspeed, But If I Had That Much Money , There Would Be At Least 5 Other V's I Would Buy Over A Cigarette. Now Guys, Lets Not Get To Crazy About This Staggered Big Block Thing, It's Just An Idea. Now Faster, As For Big Power, On An Xr Drive You May Also Keep The Merc. Mechanics Working On The West Coast. I Know Here, They're Blowing Them All The Time!!!!
Old 08-05-2005, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Im sorry did somebody say speed and reliability. Yes cubic inch and a speedy will make you smile but the speedy takes more power to spin than you would expect. Now a big air pump on top of my cubic inch would reallly make me smile! As far as speed for a stagger it all a guess and everybody knows they never run what we expect.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Baja,
You may be correct, however, I ran 700+ HP in an XR for over 100hrs before I sold my cat. Remember the stock Bravo in the 90's? I had 600hp and 250hrs before it was done! There are several others that are doing it now out here. People who hammer the throttle when taking off, or don't throttle proper when airborn will replace a drive every season. If I was offshore racing, there's no doubt I would have a spent thousands more for a race drive. But with the luck I've had before with the XR, I could last three seasons and then buy another for less than a speedy. Just think, Merc gives a warranty with 600HP for how long? If it could handle the punishment by people who don't know how to drive, they would warranty it for more HP rating for people who don't abuse thier equipment. In other words I know someone local that has the same engine as I in heavier boat with 150hrs so far. I'll let you know when his or mine goes south.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Just got off work and catching up on this - I have two goals, both are dreams right now more than goals.

Gari, my goal would be a single that is reliable to 85mph at less than 5000 rpm, and of course an upgraded drive but I haven't researched that yet. I like the idea of staying beside 90% of the twins I run with for half the weight and fuel costs.

The second goal (dream) would be to see this Y2K hull capable of the century mark and still use pump fuel, both these dreams WITHOUT BLOWERS. Hey, a guy can dream, right?
Old 08-06-2005, 05:45 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

As I Said This Thread Was Started For Positive Feedback On How Fast A Y2k Would Go With Two Stock Power Plants . Not A Spar Fest To Discuss Big Cubes And Out Drives ...............THANKS GARY

Last edited by bajababi; 08-06-2005 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:08 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

It all sounds great...but reality keeps kicking in in my mind (im using the KISS method...KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!)which is what Superboat is all about. What it all comes down to, when it gets snotty out...(alot around here), you can only go so fast. I like the fact you can walk aroung the engine in the Y2K. You'll just be throwing money around and I for one dont want the extra maint. associated with twins. I do like the gearsplitter and dual outdrive set up with the SC850 though
I think lightspeed said it best. You Want Stagger Go Buy a Cigarette(or something else) Not In One Of These Things
Old 08-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Registered

then how abou tthe diesel JC was supposed;y building? what about a singe diesel, theyre building them lighter these days. reliability and some fuel consumption savings, no?
Old 08-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

RTALYOR I LIKE YOUR IDEA...........BUT NOW I'M THINKING SINGLE " TURBINE " !!!

Quick Reply: How Fast, Y2k,staggered Big Blocks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.