Rigging K-Planes

Notices

Rigging K-Planes

Old 12-16-2005, 10:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: Rigging K-Planes

I guess JC's theory is to jus-slap-em somewhere in the middle to make everyone happy
Old 12-17-2005, 06:09 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you think the last 4-5 Y2K'S tabs are all in the SAME PLACE ????
Old 12-18-2005, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Tabs in my opinion should be as close to the center of the V as possible because when the boats flying on the pad or inner chines the tabs will not have to move alot to be effective. Now horizontal I think would make the boat more stabile for chinewalking and when you hit a turn you have something extra to help carve the turn instead of just sliding. When my boat was a bravo the tabs where in close, during the conversion to the speedy and the very short #4 drive enabled me to lower the motor in the boat almost 2 inches and still have a good X dim. In turn lowering the location for the stearing rams so the tabs had to be move out and with the bottom. Im not a racer so this is just speculation.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:14 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well here are where mine are located.
Attached Thumbnails Rigging K-Planes-superbabi...water-006-small-.jpg   Rigging K-Planes-superbabi...water-038-medium-.jpg  
Old 12-18-2005, 07:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

Same as mine
Attached Thumbnails Rigging K-Planes-cimg0084-small-.jpg   Rigging K-Planes-cimg0138-medium-.jpg  
Old 12-18-2005, 08:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by z.zuperboat
Tabs in my opinion should be as close to the center of the V as possible because when the boats flying on the pad or inner chines the tabs will not have to move alot to be effective. Now horizontal I think would make the boat more stabile for chinewalking and when you hit a turn you have something extra to help carve the turn instead of just sliding.
OK Zuper,
I agree that having the tabs more inboard would have them engage the water sooner when the boat is running high.
I'm still struggling with the horizontal thing though.
I guess with having a notch in the transom, the water is going to come off the boat differently. I don't see it being better on a straight V with no notch.
Also, to your carving vs. sliding comment: I would think having the tabs more toword the keel would help there too. But having them horizontal would have them engage less in a turn then if they were parallel with the bottom.

Hey Lightspeed,
No expert insight for us?
Old 12-19-2005, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pat it depends on the tab your talking about. On turns the highside will be out of the water.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:07 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by z.zuperboat
Pat it depends on the tab your talking about. On turns the highside will be out of the water.
I follow you Zup, the lower tab would have a better angle to bite in a turn...
Old 12-19-2005, 10:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All I can Tell You Is I Dont Agree Where JC Wanted Me To Put The Tabs .I Have Always Put them 1 Inch Above The Bottom Same Angle As The Bottom And After Running The Boat to see If They Scrubbed Any Speed I Took The Pins Out took The tab Bottoms Off And Reran The Boat No Speed difference Ran The Same. The other way You Have To Put Too Much Tab Down To Contact the water Which Is A No no when Runnin In Big Seas Thats My Two Cents They Will Be 1 Inch Above On My Boat
Old 12-19-2005, 12:27 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by lightspeed
All I can Tell You Is I Dont Agree Where JC Wanted Me To Put The Tabs .I Have Always Put them 1 Inch Above The Bottom Same Angle As The Bottom And After Running The Boat to see If They Scrubbed Any Speed I Took The Pins Out took The tab Bottoms Off And Reran The Boat No Speed difference Ran The Same. The other way You Have To Put Too Much Tab Down To Contact the water Which Is A No no when Runnin In Big Seas Thats My Two Cents They Will Be 1 Inch Above On My Boat
Hmmm...

So it's all about speed...

The picture is now becoming clearer...

With the tabs mounted horizontal less speed will be scrubbed as they are lowered.
With tabs mounted with the angle of the bottom, and then dropped below neutral, lots of drag is added. With both tabs lowered below neutral they will act together like a parachute.

Hey Light Speed,
I do remember seeing the K-plane mounted horizontal on two Kryptonites. Is that the norm from the factory?

Last edited by Pat McPherson; 12-19-2005 at 12:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Rigging K-Planes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.