Notices

Trimming the drive?

Old 05-08-2006, 02:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Re: Trimming the drive?

Originally Posted by OH-ZONE
One other observation. depending on what kind of boat you are comming out of or were used to. In the 24 with the drop out bolsters you actually sit quite high in the boat which when looking forward gives you the feeling that you are running more nose down.
That's true. When i am sitting in my boat it doesn't look like the bow is up. But, in pictures it looks just right.
Attached Thumbnails Trimming the drive?-dave1.jpg  
Old 05-08-2006, 03:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

Exactly.....
Great shot!
Old 05-08-2006, 04:14 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave your ride looks GREAT !!!! Plenty of bow lift. !!!! Hey Ga, SUPERBASH does have a sweet ride !!!!!!
Old 05-08-2006, 05:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Yeah...Kinda miss him around here. I do check on some of the S&F threads....
Old 05-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Registered

Thanks for all of the responses, I will try to answer as much as I can. Sorry for such a long post...

Previous boat was an old SeaRay 220SRV, no tabs, little power, and very heavy. Top speed was probably very low 30's. This is my first "Power Boat" and have never even been in anything similar. I wish this wasn't such a guessing game for me.

I only have around 10 hours behind the wheel of my Superboat so far. Top speed I have taken it to is 63, The boat seems to run better at 40+ than below. Where I run (Lake Saint Clair, between Lake Huron and Lake Erie), their will almost always be confused chop between 1 and 3 feet. Rollers coming from many directions.

I have a 95, no pad or steps....
I have not run the 24" Bravo yet, I received this and the 25" Mach with the boat.

Unfortunately, I do not have indicators for the K's. The Indicator for the drive is nicely hidden under the steering wheel. I do not have and room to put them in unless I put the indicators where the trim switches are now and put all the trim switches on the throttles. I would change out to a Livorsi throttle with 2 switches on the throttles with 1 switch for the drive as an add on switch.

I do have the stand up bolsters, although I drive seated in them. It just feels like the nose is low, maybe it is just a mis perception on my part behind the wheel.

Also, when you guys say "neutral", I have no idea what you are talking about. Sorry. Maybe I really need those indicators.

I would love to talk to someone about what it feels like, I just do not know how to describe it. Should I just get the indicators, mark them and go from their?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 05-08-2006, 06:52 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Neutral means parallel with the bottom running surface forward of the k-plane. My suggestion in lieu of the indicators(which by the way your suggestion on setting then up is perfect)would be run the boat with them all the way up which for the most part you should be running cause the boat generally doesn't require their use. Then drop both tabs to the point where you start to see the bow react down then tab up a split second and they should be neurtral. A good way to determine in tour head as to where the tabs are is to count in your head the time it takes to get to the neutral spot. This of course is provided that both trim pumps work the same speed. I also would check how fast each one goes from full to full down to see if they are similar or not and take that in to account. Honestly indicators are nice but seat time will give you the seat of the pants feel of tab input. Best to get out there (by yourself as not to scare passangers) and play with each tab. Careful though if you have the 240-s k-planes there are substantial in both their size and effect. Easy does it at speed with those bad boys...
Old 05-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
Thanks for all of the responses, I will try to answer as much as I can. Sorry for such a long post...

Previous boat was an old SeaRay 220SRV, no tabs, little power, and very heavy. Top speed was probably very low 30's. This is my first "Power Boat" and have never even been in anything similar. I wish this wasn't such a guessing game for me.

I only have around 10 hours behind the wheel of my Superboat so far. Top speed I have taken it to is 63, The boat seems to run better at 40+ than below. Where I run (Lake Saint Clair, between Lake Huron and Lake Erie), their will almost always be confused chop between 1 and 3 feet. Rollers coming from many directions.

I have a 95, no pad or steps....
I have not run the 24" Bravo yet, I received this and the 25" Mach with the boat.

Unfortunately, I do not have indicators for the K's. The Indicator for the drive is nicely hidden under the steering wheel. I do not have and room to put them in unless I put the indicators where the trim switches are now and put all the trim switches on the throttles. I would change out to a Livorsi throttle with 2 switches on the throttles with 1 switch for the drive as an add on switch.

I do have the stand up bolsters, although I drive seated in them. It just feels like the nose is low, maybe it is just a mis perception on my part behind the wheel.

Also, when you guys say "neutral", I have no idea what you are talking about. Sorry. Maybe I really need those indicators.

I would love to talk to someone about what it feels like, I just do not know how to describe it. Should I just get the indicators, mark them and go from their?

Thanks,
Brian
get mechanical indecators they are the best ones
Old 05-08-2006, 07:08 PM
Registered

Thanks, Trick Marine said they could get me setup with everything for under a grand. New throttles with the 2 switches and the third add on, Indicators and the mechanical indicator for the drive. Is this to much money?
Old 05-08-2006, 07:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Post some pics of your boat. I managed to fit everything I need on my dash. I moved my ignition and fuel gauge down, added a voltmeter, depth finder, and indicators. To me, the indicators are very important and I am gladd I have them.
Attached Thumbnails Trimming the drive?-sb5.jpg  
Old 05-08-2006, 07:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OH-ZONE
Neutral means parallel with the bottom running surface forward of the k-plane. My suggestion in lieu of the indicators(which by the way your suggestion on setting then up is perfect)would be run the boat with them all the way up which for the most part you should be running cause the boat generally doesn't require their use. Then drop both tabs to the point where you start to see the bow react down then tab up a split second and they should be neurtral. A good way to determine in tour head as to where the tabs are is to count in your head the time it takes to get to the neutral spot. This of course is provided that both trim pumps work the same speed. I also would check how fast each one goes from full to full down to see if they are similar or not and take that in to account. Honestly indicators are nice but seat time will give you the seat of the pants feel of tab input. Best to get out there (by yourself as not to scare passangers) and play with each tab. Careful though if you have the 240-s k-planes there are substantial in both their size and effect. Easy does it at speed with those bad boys...
Gary has given some vary good advise in this post...
Mechanical indicators would be a great addition but not a necessity.
The first year I had my boat I had a difficult time getting used to the large 280 K-planes. They do have a large effect with just a touch of the switch. I had all the parts picked out to add the mech indicators, then I ran out of $$ for upgrades and my buddy Dave M. never found the cable lengths for me, so I didn't add them. By the end of the season I got the feel for how the boat reacts and during the past 4 seasons I have found a lot more goodies to spend that $800 on.
Be patient, and run the boat, you figure her out...

Quick Reply: Trimming the drive?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.