Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Superboat
Saving money on a Y2K: Poker run special different than standard Y2K? >

Saving money on a Y2K: Poker run special different than standard Y2K?

Notices

Saving money on a Y2K: Poker run special different than standard Y2K?

Old 07-17-2006, 12:45 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Saving money on a Y2K: Poker run special different than standard Y2K?

[QUOTE=Pure EnergyTrust me, you will want to go faster!!!!!! [/QUOTE]
Faster is always better !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2006, 01:27 AM
Registered

Default Re: Saving money on a Y2K: Poker run special different than standard Y2K?

Wow, apparently this post got JC's attention and he called my dad twice yesterday! I got another estimate and a bunch more information on the pricing of the Y2K.

With the 496HO/X drive, K-planes, race mounts and sea strainer I'm down to $75,000 plus $5k for trailer. That was my price goal.

BUT the options list is sooooo tempting.

I HAVE to have a porti potti- that's a big part of the reason I'm stepping up from my current boat- girls hate getting into cold water in the spring/fall to pee.

I REALLY want the mechanical drive/trim indicators- $1500- what do you guys think? A nice to have or does it really help when driving the boat?

External full hyd power steering with tilt helm- $6,800. I'd really like to have the dual ram steering, it looks really bad a**, but it's $6,800. At my speeds of probably 72mph, it is needed or can I get by with the the stock merc steering? I could add later if I ever put in a bigger engine...

Race layup- $3,000 for the foam cored reinforced hull sides. He said it's only needed to take the abuse of offshore racing. I do plan to beat up this boat in the rough Chesapeake and out in the Atlantic- will probably go for this option.

Dual batteries- $500- I can do this myself, unless this means they have to actually make a second battery shelf, in which case it's proably worth it. Anyone know?

I'm applying for the loan in a couple of weeks- we'll see what the bank thinks!

Thanks for the inputs so far.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:58 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The prices that you have been given for options are not out of line.
Mechanical indicators cost about $800 for the parts alone and full twin ram steering would cost about $4500 for the parts.
Twin ram full hydraulic steering is not necessary on this boat at 70-74mph, but a twin ram "add on" system would be the first high $$ option I'd add.
Zimm, it's all about how much you've got to spend at this point.
Good Luck!
Old 07-19-2006, 07:03 AM
Registered

More good news! John said my last estimate was incorrect and sent a new one. Here's the breakdown:

Y2K: $61,500
425HP upgrade $4850
380 Kplanes $3050
Race engine mounts $775
Sea strainer $450
Lab prop $550

Total of $71,175 plus $5k for trailer

Options:

Dual batts $495
compass $195
Porti potti $650
hyd steering $6800
Install my GPS-stereo $950
Mechanical indicators $1500
race boat hull construction $3000
Trailer $5,000

It's looking better, I just need to figure out what options I need over want, and what I can add later.

So with trailer, porti potti, and indicators total is $78,230
add race hull construction $81,230
Add steering $88,030

That's a lot better than $98000! I'm waiting for insurance quotes to get back and I apply for the loan first week of August. I can't wait!

I'm leaning towards the race contruction hull as peace of mind pounding waves. I'm pretty sure I can add the external steering later if/when I upgrade the 496HO. That Raylar kit that adds 100HP looks cool...
Old 07-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Registered

If your thinking of flying around offshore then using the stock steering system would be a mistake. Not only is it easier on the drive and less fatigueing (sp?) it adds an extra layer of safety in case something breaks i.e a gimbal. I wouldn't look at the upgrade as an option but more as a safety feature. In truth I don't think John wants any of the boats leaving the factory without at least one ram on the transom. That was my feeling when I ordered mine.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Pat McPherson]
Talk to Krackmeup, he had his boat done similar from JC and has been adding all the other nice options along the way...
QUOTE]

Yep, I did a basic Y2K with race mounts and MagHO, strainer and added a GPS. No tab indicators and basic mercury guages. My interior was race build (i.e. nothing in the cabin except two sets of cabin lights).

What you decide to order depends on how much you want to do yourself - my porta-potti was less than $75, but I did have to build and mount a cover like they do at SB.

If I bought again, what would I do different? Uhm - thinking hard - upgrade to the Livorsi guages, maybe add tab indicators, that's it. My boat will be 2 years old in October - this winter (that's Jan and Feb here) I expect to do an add-on hydraulic steering system, and probably add CMI exhausts and then plan to drop in bigger power after another season. I am running low 70's (gps) at 2.8 mpg and continue to go boating when my friends with other hulls (some bigger) say it's too rough. The SB still impresses me 2 years down the road and there is still no better bang for your dollars. If you want more details PM me and we can talk.

Keith
Old 07-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Custom rigged turn key $9500 ???????? Whats that ?
Old 07-27-2006, 05:59 PM
Registered

890 for a prop ??
Old 07-27-2006, 06:26 PM
Registered

Labbed bravo1 prop around $890 thats not an outragious price...

$9500 by my guess would be for the labor installing all the components and the little misc. stuff you don't see on the option list but still adds up. The double edge sword here is that John sells an inexpensive boat w/o a whole lot of options. When you starting adding in some of the stuff most of us think should be standard anyway then the price climbs. However when you look at the base price of say an activator the comparable SB is still less money... but don't think anyone is going to sell a $50kish boat with all the bells and whistles it just ain't gonna happen.

Oh and if you wanna talk about options then take a look at the boat being built for me... I ordered way too much LOL
Old 07-27-2006, 06:29 PM
Registered

C'mon .. the word labbed is a little overused if you ask me .... Ive bought pairs of props for less.. All im saying is if you want to cut a few corners to get the tab down , theres room

Quick Reply: Saving money on a Y2K: Poker run special different than standard Y2K?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.