Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Superboat
Getting Ready !!!! >

Getting Ready !!!!

Notices

Getting Ready !!!!

Old 03-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dusting off the boat for another 90+ run! Maybe change the w/p impeller.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After finally getting allignment right the cold weather set in. I have some hoses to connect, fix alternater, give her a once over and I'm ready!! Props will be going to LI propellar for tweaking.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:34 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to find a dead short, Plagued me at the World's, ran engine last week, notice volt gauge jumping around, went to
engine and everytime I grabbed part of the wiring harness the engine would shut completely off. I'll get it figured out this
weekend, hopefully.

Eddie
Old 03-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Eddie I had the same trouble years back and turned out to be the plug on the harness in my case.
P E what alignment ? What are you doing now ?
Old 03-22-2007, 01:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by z.zuperboat

P E what alignment ? What are you doing now ?
Last time motor was out, there were 2 washers missing from the rear engine mount which through the drive alignment off. Took 3 of us a day of trial and error to figure out it was missing washers. Alignment is good now, just need to reconnect the water hoses and clean the bilge.....that I just re-gelled while the motor was out!!

I'm confident in a trouble free season!!!! JC rebuilt the motor, again, dynoed and tuned a bit on the fat side. Motor runs sweet, just needs a friendly operator
Old 03-22-2007, 04:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MDGperformance
jayhawk,cap and rotor with brass contacts agood idea,all the new caps from merc have them,old ones used aluminum wore out fast made engines lose a little of power,you need to check timing after changing cap-rotor,can be off.You can plug in a timing tool(cheap tool)or better yet plug into scan tool and put it in base mode,you can also check for codes.Rynda makes a nice scan tool that works great for simple checks i think they cost around 400,the timing plug that puts it in base mode 10 bucks or so.
So if I understand correctly, I can get the timing tool, plug it in, set the timing, and then unplug it. Is this correct? Back in my Mustang days, you had to remove the chip from the distributor, and set the timing and then put the chip back in. I assume it is something like that. Where can I get the timing tool? Trick?

10* sounds good to me Pat. I was guessing around there or 12*.

As far as a cap and rotor, does anyone have or know of a cross reference from the mercruiser parts to an accel or mallory cap and rotor? I imagine thos might be cheaper than a mercury part!
Old 03-22-2007, 06:52 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jayhawk261
So if I understand correctly, I can get the timing tool, plug it in, set the timing, and then unplug it. Is this correct? Back in my Mustang days, you had to remove the chip from the distributor, and set the timing and then put the chip back in. I assume it is something like that. Where can I get the timing tool? Trick?

10* sounds good to me Pat. I was guessing around there or 12*.

As far as a cap and rotor, does anyone have or know of a cross reference from the mercruiser parts to an accel or mallory cap and rotor? I imagine thos might be cheaper than a mercury part!
I bought the code tool from Rynda a few years back; I think it was like $25. You plug it into the harness the same place a scan tool would go. It has a switch to lock out the computer and a group of lights for reading codes.
The cap is the same as a Delco and different versions can be purchased at just about any auto parts store. I like the Merc version because it has the cylinder numbers molded in.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Registered

Lets see...

Gonna kill procharger if I can't get a unit by next week...

Myco is gonna put a big hurt on the wallet with the price for the trailer I'm eyeing.

John is going to start charging me storage... at the long term rate!!!

Good news is I have piece of mind knowing that I'm getting everything just the way I want it!!!

Rick, if you see this do you have a recomendation for a cover company? If the boats going to sit in the corner it might as well be covered.

Rob
Old 03-24-2007, 11:07 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

I used P&G Canvas on LI.. Not cheap but nice work.
http://www.pandgcanvas.com/
Old 03-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Registered

P&G did my covers too. Trailering and cockpit. Very nice work and perfect fit. Both came with the boat when I bought it. I was told they cost around $3k

Quick Reply: Getting Ready !!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.