Just bought my first boat!!... 2000 24' SB  on Long Island >

Just bought my first boat!!... 2000 24' SB on Long Island

Notices

Just bought my first boat!!... 2000 24' SB on Long Island

Old 08-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought my first boat!!... 2000 24' SB on Long Island

now officially the owner with the title in my hand.... and my bank account a bit more empty

tomorrow's agenda is an extensive detailing of the upholstery and cleaning and waxing the gelcote...

it's a 2000 24' SB with a 250 EFI Offshore

Hydraulic Jack Plate
K-planes

it's white and red

it's in great shape... minor flaws, the biggest of them being the passenger seat/bolster will need rebuilding as the wood inside broke apart and ripped the bottom corner of the vinyl, DOH...

but i THINK i got a pretty decent deal on it i hope, but the boat ran great, looks cool, and i had the itch to get something ASAP and stumbled across this one when i had the itch

so now.... how do i make it faster?!?! hehe.... i'll get a GPS on it over the weekend and see how it's running. I test ride the boat, the dreamometer was reading 67-68mph at i believe 5500ish rpms...

previous owner tells me it's setup for holeshot mainly... so i dont know enough at all yet to know what gains can be had from a different prop. I'll learn tho. It has a trophy prop on it tho, that's all i know so far

any advice on this boat, things to look for, things to improve to make is more enjoyable and/or faster ... WITHOUT repowering!

I keep the boat in Seaford on the South Shore

Thanks!
STEVE
Old 08-15-2008, 12:16 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with the boat Steve. There are a few guys here on the site with 24 SB OB's . I'm sure they'll chine in and give you a hand selecting the right prop.
Also,you said it's a 2000. Are the seats fiberglass buckets,or stand up/ sit down bolsters ? I thought we used the fiberglass buckets in 2000,but I might be mistaken.

Last edited by FX10; 08-15-2008 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:28 AM
Registered

My 2000 has drop down bolsters. How well do the sit downs work, and what would be involved in a changeover. I always sit in my bolsters and never swing them down.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:24 AM
Registered

it has stand up sit down bolsters... but someone tagged screws thru the release bar so you can't drop them down anyway...

i need to address these seats.. i'll play with them tonight and see how functional the drop downs are...

from what i'm told, the seat is a contoured piece of wood internally? and right at the bend of the wood it totally snapped.. so the bolster kind of leans with no support and subsequently tore the vinyl a little bit... i'm chit outta luck for a little bit, so i'll have to rig something up and make do with what i got here... spent more on a boat than i originally anticipated, so there's not much left in the budget, maybe over the winter...

anyone out there have a 250 O/B powered 24' SB? what kind of speeds are you seeing?
Old 08-15-2008, 11:55 PM
Registered

the problem most guys have with the stand up seats is that the swing rod that keeps the seat part UP always tends to come undone and send you on the floor when you run hard....

i have been standing more and more in mine and really like it for rough water.....
Old 08-16-2008, 07:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GEORGE YURICK
the problem most guys have with the stand up seats is that the swing rod that keeps the seat part UP always tends to come undone and send you on the floor when you run hard....

i have been standing more and more in mine and really like it for rough water.....
YES!!!

used the boat for 3 hours today... an hour ealier, came back to fix the seat that dropped the bolster... hung out, got gas, cahnged passengers and got new people on the boat, the temporary fix didn't work and sent another person to the floor.

i'm giong to be making new plates taht go across the whole bottoms to permanantly hold the bolster seats up...

there's more than enough room to stand in front of the seat even with it up, i was very comfortable driving it...

now i just need to learn the boat's handling and how much you can trim it out and how to achieve the best speeds... bc i'm pretty much lost haha... i find smooth water and play with everything watching the RPMs and seeing how it effects and seeing how the bow raises or drops from different adjustments... i think my goals in coming days/weeks is to find a local experienced 24' SB owner and give him the helm and watch him drive my boat and see how it's done... i'm a total newb to performance boating.

and laoding a 24 SB with 6 passengers that are over 1000lbs total definitely changes things!!
Old 08-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Registered

shibby.....give me a call and i will go out with you and give a few pointers on driving the boat....
Old 08-17-2008, 08:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Shibby1485
YES!!!

used the boat for 3 hours today... an hour ealier, came back to fix the seat that dropped the bolster... hung out, got gas, cahnged passengers and got new people on the boat, the temporary fix didn't work and sent another person to the floor.

i'm giong to be making new plates taht go across the whole bottoms to permanantly hold the bolster seats up...

there's more than enough room to stand in front of the seat even with it up, i was very comfortable driving it...

now i just need to learn the boat's handling and how much you can trim it out and how to achieve the best speeds... bc i'm pretty much lost haha... i find smooth water and play with everything watching the RPMs and seeing how it effects and seeing how the bow raises or drops from different adjustments... i think my goals in coming days/weeks is to find a local experienced 24' SB owner and give him the helm and watch him drive my boat and see how it's done... i'm a total newb to performance boating.

and laoding a 24 SB with 6 passengers that are over 1000lbs total definitely changes things!!
How'd you get 6 people in that thing. Mine is elbows to arseholes with 5. Not to mention getting it on plane at that point takes the concentration and patience of a monk!
Old 08-17-2008, 10:32 PM
Registered

it wasn't bad with 6 people at all... majority of the time 3 were in the bench in the back, driver, passenger, and one person was standing up front between the drop down bolsters ... occassionally they would switch around their seats and 4 of them sat across the back... snug tho, haha

and these were NOT slim short people neither

getting on plane wasn't bad truthfully... yes it took a little longer then say being two people... but i trimmed the motor all the way down, dropped the hydraulic jack plate all the way and floored it and i was on plane in less than 4-5 seconds

anyone else out there have a 24 SB with a 250? looking to know what speeds you run, height of your motor on the transom, and what prop you are running.

like i said, i'm all new to this and learning... i have NO IDEA where to leave the motor at on the hydraulic jack for best speeds.... it's a 250 EFI offshore bone stock out of the box running a trophy 21 prop....

and one of my k-planes has an issue i found out today... went to get off the boat and jump in the water... stepped on the starboard side tab to find that it pushes right down when u step on it... port side trim tab is fine.... not sure what i need to do about that yet
Old 08-18-2008, 07:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GEORGE YURICK

Happened to my wife about four times already, my swing rod winds up sticking and not releasing, so then you have to muscle the seat back up

Shibb- congrats again, I grew up in Seaford and am heading to the old hood by boat in a few weeks, maybe we can meet up and go for a run

Last edited by elvisali; 08-18-2008 at 09:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Just bought my first boat!!... 2000 24' SB on Long Island

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.