Advice for 24' Stepbottom Outboard Setups

Notices

Advice for 24' Stepbottom Outboard Setups

Old 10-31-2008, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for 24' Stepbottom Outboard Setups

Hey guys,

i spend hours upon hours searching the forums for feedback from other 24 SB owners with outboards trying to figure out the best setup for my boat.

I know everyone instinctively says, get in touch with SUPERBASH! ... but i dont see him around much at all on the forums and haven't been able to get in contact with him thru the internet.. so I need some help from others.

What's the secret sauces, the hot setup and rigging for my boat?

It's a 2000 hull (step bottom) with a bone stock 250 EFI

how much setback is optimal on these hulls? ... right now i have a 5.5" setback CMC hydraulic jack plate

how far below the keel should the prop shaft be?

what are some good props to yield good results? ... so far i have had the best speed results from a tempest prop...

just looking to speak with some other 24 outboard owners out there as i seem to be having a hard time tracking down some

thanks
STEVE
Old 10-31-2008, 11:03 PM
Registered

1)buy a 300
2)lose the jackplate and do a stainless marine 12" ridgid setback
3)buy a full hydraulic steering setup
4)get a 4 blade trophy. 23 pitch for 300xs. 24 pitch for 300x
(ive had both motors)
5) only use amsoil HP injector oil
6)enjoy. you will have a 75 mph boat that runs great all day in any conditions the bay can toss at it.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:04 PM
Registered

also have eastcoast do the rigging
Old 11-01-2008, 12:06 AM
Registered

i would sell my boat and buy yours before i went thru all that work, LOL... and that's no joke. everytime i look at your 24 build thread and all those pics i really think about selling mine and picking yours up

but cash IS an issue unfortunately... picked a great economy/market to graduate college with my BS in business and try to find a full-time career in this messy market.. or i should blame my parents for having me in 1985, LOL

i'm stuck with my 250 EFI until further notice... just trying to get the most out of the boat with what i got and making small improvements where needed

any reason for getting rid of the jackplate and only running a setback plate? any pro or con of adding 6 or 8 inches to the jackplate i already have?
Old 11-02-2008, 09:00 AM
Registered

jackplate is just unnessecary. it really just does nothing. its kinda cool but just dosnt really do much on a 24. the setback provides more leverage when you trim out to get more air under the boat. thereby providing less wetted surface area for less friction and mo speed. What prop are you running? also i would try to pick up a cheap, maybe used full hydraulic steering setup. So yeah, without changing power i would just ditch the jackplate, do the setback, def. buy a BRAND NEW prop (very important, to those who know, theres just nothing like those factory fresh blades) and try to cop some full hydraulic steering.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Registered

also tell me what pitch prop and what RPMS at what MPH your running. And have joey from eastcoast put on the setback. he will get your optimal x-dimension.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Registered

with a labbed 23P mirage plus i borrowed from a friend - 6000 + rpms chirping the limiter once in awhile - 63.5 mph

with a 21P trophy plus - 61-62mph at 3/4 throttle hitting the rev limiter hard ... this is the prop that i bought the boat with

with a used 25P mirage - 62ish mph @ 5500 rpm

with a kinda beat up 23P tempest plus 67-68mph at 6000 rpms

went running with some guys today... they all telling me the same as u... get rid of the jackplate and put on a 12" setback... i'll get that done this winter for sure

i also would like to address my steering.. it pulls something awful when i trim it out and is very tiring and a handfull in rough waters
Old 11-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Registered

change the steering helm....its NFG....

ditch the jack...like we said today its a novelty...somethng else to break.....

i am going to say that the 2" below the pad is going to be the spot....once you have the setback on the boat you may be able to go up slightly maybe one more bolt hole....

as far as a prop i am willing to bet money that the 24 tempest is going to be it....i hit the rev limiter once or twice today with the 23 tempest....once the engine is raised and set back its def gonna need more pitch....plus cruise speed is up 10mph from my trophy.....
Old 11-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

George,

What prop are you running now? Change from the 23 trophy yet?
Old 11-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Registered

This is what you do
sell the 24 superboat
and buy a 21 superboat
im sure after the beating I gave pitt
he will be selling hes real soon

Quick Reply: Advice for 24' Stepbottom Outboard Setups

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.