24 Super Back Seat Rot

Notices

24 Super Back Seat Rot

Old 07-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
YES,

Any fiberglass resin will do to waterproof it, Home Depot, or any Auto parts store, no nned for epoxy or anything fancy. I realize you will be replacing in a few years anyhow, but its just good practice to resin any wood used in a boat, plus it will only cost ya like $10 for a quart of resin.
Ok, I put some resin on it! Are ya happy now?! Home Depot's small can was $15. That plus the other necessary items like brushes and what not came out to $25. Not too bad for a little reassurance. I finished one side. I figure in about an hour I'll flip it and hit the other. Hopefully it will be dry enough by tonight to put it together. Thanks for the info & help everybody. I'll hopefully have some completed pics up tonight.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by krakmeup
STARBOARD it and forgettaboutit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As Keith said. All the seat backs and bottoms are Starboard now, and have been for years. As for replacing the wood. Simple.. Go to Home Depot and get some CCA plywood. No need to resin coat it. I redid quite a few older seatbacks. We used to have our upholstry done in Florida and switched to a local guy. Steam clean the foam ??? Alittle too crazy for me.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jayhawk261
Ok, I put some resin on it! Are ya happy now?! Home Depot's small can was $15. That plus the other necessary items like brushes and what not came out to $25. Not too bad for a little reassurance. I finished one side. I figure in about an hour I'll flip it and hit the other. Hopefully it will be dry enough by tonight to put it together. Thanks for the info & help everybody. I'll hopefully have some completed pics up tonight.
Fot the money you spent on the wood and resin/brushes/acetone etc. It would have been cheaper to do it with Starboard. Starboard is around $ 45
Old 07-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FX10
Fot the money you spent on the wood and resin/brushes/acetone etc. It would have been cheaper to do it with Starboard. Starboard is around $ 45
Everybody said it was really expensive, and the internet searching I did confirmed that. The cheapest I found Starboard on the internet in the size I needed was $150 (+/-). I bought the wood for $60 and the resin+ stuff for $25. The other money I spent was on the pneumatic staple gun and other tool related items that I may be able to use later on.

Well, I am where I am now, and it will work! Thanks for the info though Rick!
Old 07-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And make sure you use stainless steel staples randy! You gonna be on the water this weekend?
Old 07-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Registered

I'll be on the water! We're heading down tomorrow afternoon sometime. Is the Banana boat gonna be out?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Registered

All done!!
Attached Thumbnails 24 Super Back Seat Rot-dsc_0123.jpg   24 Super Back Seat Rot-dsc_0124.jpg   24 Super Back Seat Rot-dsc_0125.jpg  

Old 07-02-2009, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya did good, looks great.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great.

I just did the exact same thing to the rear seat back on my Pantera. The tips of my fingers and knuckles were numb for about 3 days from pulling out old staples and pulling tight vinyl to re-staple.

I tried to keep cost down cause I figure (like you) in a year or two I'm gonna replace all of the interior anyway. I used pt plywood and hit it with some Thompsons on both sides. Most expensive part were the stainless staples.