Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Registered

sbc single blackhawk y2k

Was thinking how a y2k would run with a 415 sbc aprox 475hp with a blackhawk surface drive. Basic boat, no cabin interior, light as possible. Would this be worth while? Could this package run in the 70's? Would the boat respond well from the lite motor and surface drive to be a fast underdog.

My Boats:
    Mako 22 2004,225EFI Merc
    Quote Originally Posted by younger View Post
    Was thinking how a y2k would run with a 415 sbc aprox 475hp with a blackhawk surface drive. Basic boat, no cabin interior, light as possible. Would this be worth while? Could this package run in the 70's? Would the boat respond well from the lite motor and surface drive to be a fast underdog.
    Absolutely. I love SBC'S. A Big block 496 mag(375 HP) runs in the upper 60's and a 496 HO 415 HP runs around 72-74. That was with the old hull. the new one runs a few miles an hour faster.

My Boats:
    BAJA OL 650HP/ SABER 28 Gellner unlimited with konrad ace
    Quote Originally Posted by younger View Post
    blackhawk parts and props will be hard to get, plus that blackhawk ran so so, old friend raced one in Aclass back in 1994 ended up with a b1, you need efi for when you put it in gear the carb boats use to stall out. do a sbc and a b1 with a high x and a 5 blade or box better yet sbc with a 250 blower.

My Boats:
    little cat...BIG MOTOR
    Quote Originally Posted by AIR TIME View Post
    blackhawk parts and props will be hard to get, plus that blackhawk ran so so, old friend raced one in Aclass back in 1994 ended up with a b1, you need efi for when you put it in gear the carb boats use to stall out. do a sbc and a b1 with a high x and a 5 blade or box better yet sbc with a 250 blower.
    There are no parts for a BH drive that cant be bought. The only part besides the case thats different than a Bravo 3 is the vertical shaft and Max Machine Works makes those. As for the drive itself, when used on the right hull, it flat out works. I bolted one on my 25 Daytona and picked up 8 mph with no other changes. It also out lasted Bravo X drives by a 4 to 1 margin on upper gear sets on my boat.
    I replaced the BH with an SCX/SC only because I added 400hp to the mix or it would still be on my boat.

If you're interested, I have a just freshened BH set up complete with everything you need to bolt it on including labbed 31 props.
    Its collecting dust in my shop so if someone wants it, its for sale or it waits for the right 16 Donzi for the wife to come along.

Registered
    My Boats:
    Sutphen Ocean Pacer/Superboat 24/Excalibur 24
    Quote Originally Posted by FX10 View Post
    Absolutely. I love SBC'S. A Big block 496 mag(375 HP) runs in the upper 60's and a 496 HO 415 HP runs around 72-74. That was with the old hull. the new one runs a few miles an hour faster.
    Hmm, so with a lighter small-block and a surface drive you might even see 80 on a good day? Is that overly optimistic?

My Boats:
    Mako 22 2004,225EFI Merc
    Quote Originally Posted by dba900 View Post
    Hmm, so with a lighter small-block and a surface drive you might even see 80 on a good day? Is that overly optimistic?
    should see upper 70's, possibly 80. We have a Y2K in stock with the new bottom. All it needs is power. Give Coen a call 631-226-1761

Registered
    When you talk sweet 16 that is my thing that is what the 415 is in with the blackhawk drive. I built this package for my donzi 16 and run a set of hoss BH props. The only difference in the bh and the BIII is the vert. shaft and the bearing carrier. I have been thinking of a longer rough water boat and the y2k is the one that seems light for its size. And another requirement is its narrow beam. Which I would think would blend well with a 500 hp sbc. What is the advantages of the new bottom compared to the old as far as mph? What is the weight of the y2k hull less power. The donzi 16 that this package powers screams 84.4 mph and some to go. Have yet to see a sustained full throttle blast. I figure the way it powers the 16 it may run the y2k into 75mph range. Does the y2k bottom run free and light?

Registered
    My Boats:
    MRD POWERED 30 PROTOTYPE
    Weight is key in these boats. Just look at my boat, Its as lite as they come. Then getting the power to the water with a blackhawk would work well. Remember its a boat and boats need torque more than HP. And your not going to get big torque out of a small block unless its one stroked to like a 454. What the biggest sbc they make these days ?

staysHARDbeatIT1moreTIME VIP Member OCCJoe's Avatar
    My Boats:
    .........CSM 24/7 Pokerrun .... .........07 Y2K Superboat...... ......30' Cobra Predator cat.....
    Quote Originally Posted by FX10 View Post
    We have a Y2K in stock with the new bottom. All it needs is power. Give Coen a call 631-226-1761
    Really !!! Let's see a picture of this Y2K in stock ....

Ron Potter, BULLET PROOF Platinum Member Superbabi's Avatar

Banana

Quote Originally Posted by OCCJoe View Post
    Really !!! Let's see a picture of this Y2K in stock ....
    Are you selling already ? lol lol
    Ron Potter, extreme engine builder !!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast