Winter upgrades: who's doing what? >

Winter upgrades: who's doing what?

Notices

Winter upgrades: who's doing what?

Old 01-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by noli
Did he apply the Gel then sanded the new area?
Looks like it..

Few more:
Attached Thumbnails Winter upgrades: who's doing what?-img00041-20101231-0717.jpg   Winter upgrades: who's doing what?-img00042-20101231-0718.jpg   Winter upgrades: who's doing what?-img00043-20110102-1055.jpg  

Old 01-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 553 Likes on 336 Posts

Wow, your bilge is super clean now!

The closing of the transom holes is A-1 !!

This is the time that a sealer should be applied to the white Gel on the bilge. That stuff holds a lot of dirt!

I wonder if it's because the white Gel is porouse?

There's gotta be a clear coating that can be applied right now whilst the bilge has not been exposed to dirt. Would make cleaning a lot easier later on!

The clear coat would be less porouse thus won't hold onto dirt too much...my $0.02
Old 01-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Registered

Well... looked at the hull deck joint- guess what... no its not glassed together (sound familiar to anyone?) Its glassed together back behind the dash and everywhere else I can see... wtf? did they all forget about the nose back then? Seems like a pretty critical spot to be overlooked.

Hey Pat, what was going on behind the cabin liner on your boat.. ever see? Glassed, or not? How about behind the dash?

Also Noli, the bilge was only that dirty because I drained the block and winterized the engine right before getting the glass work done.. didn't bother to clean it up... usually just wipe it down with a de-greaser, or I guess you could use snow bowl if its really bad stains.

Last edited by ndaniels; 01-03-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:11 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ndaniels
Well... looked at the hull deck joint- guess what... no its not glassed together (sound familiar to anyone?) Its glassed together back behind the dash and everywhere else I can see... wtf? did they all forget about the nose back then? Seems like a pretty critical spot to be overlooked.

Hey Pat, what was going on behind the cabin liner on your boat.. ever see? Glassed, or not? How about behind the dash?
I only found out that my boat was not glassed together after the fact. I had trusted the propaganda on the Superboatweb page, and the owner of the company that built the boat, she was built to take the beating she'd get from me.
I was wrong! I should have surveyed the boat before I bought it.
I was told through many deliberations here on OSO that the hull deck joint was not accessible behind the cabin liner and that is why it was not glassed together. I was also told that even if it had been glassed together I would have destroyed the boat anyway. Why up in the bow area the joint was not glassed together on my boat remains a mystery; some are, some not. I was also told that the hull deck joint should have been through bolted together as a minimum but mine only had wood screws.
I will upset many here in the Superboat forum by making this statement again, but it matters no longer.
My 1997 24’ Superboat was built with the quality normally associated with early 80s Bayliners. My 24’ Superboat was truly a piece of junk!

Now to fix your boat, I suggest the hull deck joint be glassed together where ever it is accessible and through bolted with backing plates anywhere else.

Last edited by Pat McPherson; 01-04-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by FX10; 01-04-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Registered

Well, it is thru bolted... just glassing it together for my piece of mind.

Actually today while working, I realized that its impossible to access behind the cabin liner after its put together.

Not trying to bash in any way and hopefully it doesn't come off that way.... just dissapointed mainly about the back end flexing. If I didn't feel the boat was worth putting the money into, I wouldn't do it.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by FX10; 01-05-2011 at 04:24 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:27 PM
Registered

I'm staying outta this one, but I really hope that we will still get contributions from you on the Superboat forum Rick. You've helped to awnser questions regarding my 21 in the past and I truely appreciate it.

I guess this was probably opening a can of worms and I should have delt with it like I have in the past- thru pm's.

Figured that while I was showing work that is going on to my 24 I would ask about others and then explain why I'm glassing the hull/deck joint it in the bow locker. I- so far- have not stuffed the boat.. but I figured its a possibility and decided that I want to beef it up as much as possible, so if I ever do stuff her- I won't feel like she came apart because of somthing I could have done, but didn't.

I don't know what Pat's battery tray looked like, but I'm guessing it looked like this (and actually that didn't really worry me- the screw that was starting to poke outward on the bottom of the hull did... and thats what started all of this)
Attached Thumbnails Winter upgrades: who's doing what?-img00044-20090505-1825.jpg  
Old 01-05-2011, 02:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pat McPherson
Superboat was built with the quality normally associated with early 80s Bayliners.
Ouch! I have driven Nicks boat many times and it felt like a great boat. Tho with the light layup, its not as stout as my mate, I never felt like it was built like a Gayliner!!
Old 01-05-2011, 04:59 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=ndaniels;3289042]

I guess this was probably opening a can of worms and I should have delt with it like I have in the past- thru pm's.

You said it best. Delete the thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.