Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Superboat
21' Open Bow? >

21' Open Bow?

Notices

21' Open Bow?

Old 01-21-2011, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure it can be done, but I'd hate to try and be the first to pull structure and strength out of any hull in order to convert it to a bow rider. Lots of options out there for performance bow riders without having to experiment- just my .02.

Will they look as cool as a 21SB- hell no... so maybe that makes it worth it to you?
Old 01-22-2011, 06:56 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it would be a cool boat. The 24 is much better in rough water then a 21. You could make an insert for an older boat and just pop it in. Lots of similar boats like a challenger, shadow or activator to try to do. If any body could make a nice insert it would be FX. They have all the measurements for something like that. I bet 5k could make an insert. I have kidz and would love a 24 bowrider. Dont know if I would want to go 70 with the kidz in the front, hmmm. You should have bought Pats old boat the deck was already off.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:53 AM
Registered

Hard to sat what the effect on handling would be, not tons of milleniums out there ( I remember bash saying something like 20 tops were built), there is one in the Great South bay I have seen a few times, and I know the guy likes it, but I dont know that there really woud be enough room up front to make it really worth trying it. Overall, the boat itself is a great little boat, the general opinion has always been that the 21' millenium was a slight bit slower then a 21' full deck (a little more weight from the liner I believe). There was one or two that tended to porpoise, but Rick didnt build those, and the one I have seen up close, that owner told me he had no porpoising issues at all. But as it hasnt been done....hard to say. Look at my 30' CC, tempests had a reputation for porpoising, only one Y2k was done with outboards and no one really knew how that one handled, mine was going to have no deck, be more stern heavy as a result, and even JC was wondering if we wouldnt need to put some weight up front when all was said and done......but from day one.... the boat tracks straight and true with no bow bouncing at all, so end of day, really is just a try it and see what happens situation

Personally, I dont think it would be that functional. If anything, I would just have a big vinyl cushion made that you could snap in the front and people could lay on

Like Z said, I think the 24' would be the better model to do this in, reality is, it would be like cutting the deck off and basically raising the seating in the cabin

I feel this would be a great set up for the 30' CC. I know there was some talk of cabins on other threads, but personally, I think that would defeat the purpose of the boat and not really be that functional. But a bowrider set up, were you could throw up a spray dodger/bow canvas would probably give you some fuctionality of a cabin, and not chew up as much room on the boat with what ultimately becomes dead space...and also provide a lot more seating

Last edited by elvisali; 01-22-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Registered

Elvisali,

You bring up a really good point about the Millenium... The weight of it's liner and console is probably similar to the weight I'd be looking at to add the bow seating to a standard deck config.

I've got a line on a nice 21, and while I wouldn't mind a 24, the 21 is a better fit in terms of trailering and storage right now. I'm likely going to grab that boat in a month or so, run it as a closed bow in the spring, and if I get along with the outboard setup, do the conversion in the fall. Maybe we'll find we can get by without cutting it, but doubt it as the kids could use the room.

Chris
Old 01-24-2011, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat Broke
Elvisali,

You bring up a really good point about the Millenium... The weight of it's liner and console is probably similar to the weight I'd be looking at to add the bow seating to a standard deck config.

I've got a line on a nice 21, and while I wouldn't mind a 24, the 21 is a better fit in terms of trailering and storage right now. I'm likely going to grab that boat in a month or so, run it as a closed bow in the spring, and if I get along with the outboard setup, do the conversion in the fall. Maybe we'll find we can get by without cutting it, but doubt it as the kids could use the room.

Chris
Consider that the additional weight in the Milleniun is distributed through out the length of the hull. You want to add the weight to the bow. Having that weight up front might change the handling and performance of the boat.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by FX10
Consider that the additional weight in the Milleniun is distributed through out the length of the hull. You want to add the weight to the bow. Having that weight up front might change the handling and performance of the boat.
If the boat does turn out to feel a little nose heavy, would additional setback help restore the balance?

Thanks,
Chris