Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Superboat
24 Superboats im looking at/for... >

24 Superboats im looking at/for...

Notices

24 Superboats im looking at/for...

Old 06-22-2012, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 24 Superboats im looking at/for...

Looking at a 1977 Superboat 24' with a 500ci (496ci .060over) local to me...
Supposedly the boat is solid, recently and completely rebuilt over past 3 years... Heres some details...

500ci (496ci .060over) 650hp/550tq
Merc 71c trans
Stern Power "speed master race drive"
Trans and Drive rebuilt by Jims Performance in Ohio??

Lathum Steering, shifter and gauges
Full Dry custom exhaust
K planes
Brand new 5Starr I Beam Trailer with Disk Brakes
replaced all wiring and interior
aluminum tank
No transom, stringer, or deck rot

Price is $10,500obo, supposedly turn key, ready to go... no issues, ya know the usual.
Seems like a good deal if its true.. My concerns are reliability with a motor making that kind of power and the drive system handling it long term... Other draw back is not a fan of the paint/graphics...
Pics below

Anything to look for or ask?? Whats the deal with that exhaust?

Other than if anyone else knows of any 24SB for sale, let me know... Im kinda looking for something with twin O/Bs but will go with the single I/O

Thanks, Chris

Old 06-30-2012, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I too called about that boat, inquiring about the "combo" for an owner claiming 90 mph... When asked, he told me the motor specifics were a "secret".. Ok... Now, I don't think 10k is a bad deal for a rock solid 24 resto- but from the pics it hardly looks like "3yrs and 30K" Looks awful dated to me, and those old manifolds and homemade drypipes, that would be the first thing to go. If you notice, he also stated "merc trans" and "speedmaster drive" more bs.. that thing has an antiquted stern powr drive set up.. So I passed, and he laughed when I offered 5k for the hell of it.. I ended up dragging my azz to ohio to bring back another "rock solid" 78 superboat.. I actually knew better, but for 3k. I figured how bad could it be?? Well, so much for making it by the 4th!! Finishing up some rotten wood and glass work now, then finsh up the new BBC, maybe make it by labor day! Good luck with your search!
Old 06-30-2012, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like crusader exhaust manifolds
Old 06-30-2012, 07:45 PM
Registered

Ya, I actually went and looked at the boat in person seeing as it was on the way home from work...

I was a bit disappointed though.... The hull and everything appeared to be pretty solid and the motor definitely sounded healthy.
But other than that, I could only look at the boat as something that would be constant upkeep or a project from the door.
As metalmuncher said those manifolds got to go, the engine compartment needs a complete clean up... The white gelcoat seems to be all cracked everywhere, the red was ok though, other than the "insanity" The whole thing needs a serious cleaning, and the cabin needs a full resto. Lighting all needs to be wired... And theres no pump for the k-planes.
I couldnt see spending what he is looking for the boat, and taking on a project no matter the price at the moment...
here are some more pictures and video of it running if anyones interested though

[youtube]sDvI-7ObUBw[/youtube]
Old 06-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Registered

Ive found another 24 Superboat Im interested in checking out....

its a 1984 24SB with a single '05 Merc 250xs (390hrs.) w/ torquemaster lower, 3 blade chopper on jack plate
its looks meticulous, has lots of extras (bolsters, new merc gauges, gps, trailer) and he's asking 16,900
pics below...

What do you guys think??