Winter Projects

Notices

Winter Projects

Old 11-21-2003, 06:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Winter Projects

I figured I would start a new thread to talk about winter projects. Assuming that I am keeping my boat for a while, this is what I plan on doing.

1. Full hydraulic steering. Add another ram on the outside and all the inside stuff.

2. Remove fairing, peel off that crappy looking vinyl and paint the inside flat black or maybe dark blue. I am a little afraid of taking the fairing off and being able to get it back on right. Anybody ever do this?

3. Repair starboard side engine hatch support. I am removing the fiberglass support and using some aluminum angle iron. That side of the hatch sags a little bit, I think I am going to use a stronger gas shock too. The one on there now is 20 lbs. I don't know if it is just worn out or needs to be heavier.

4. Paint the underside of my engine hatch. I would really like to pull my motor and paint the whole bilge but I don't think that will happen.

5. Replace speakers. Nothing extravagant, I don't really use my stereo that much. The grills keep coming off my old speakers and they are not very good quality to begin with. I like those billet aluminum speaker covers, I'll have to price them.

6. I would like to upgrade my GPS. One with a bigger screen and contour.

7. Replace my switch panel. I like those newer "rocker" type switches. I may consider relocating it to a more convienent location too. Maybe on the starboard side bulkhead.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:35 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave,

Full hydraulic steering will be a great upgrade. I can let go of the wheel in 2-3 footers at 60 and she still goes straight...
You don't have an electric jack screw that lifts your engine hatch; gas shocks??? Put the e-jack screw in so you can flip a switch to open.
If you do decide to keep her, More HP is not in the works? Valve Job, Hotter cam, Good Exhaust, and Reprogrammed ECU will give you another 60-80HP...

As for my upgrades/mods:

-More Horsepower is at the top of the list being that I have about the only Superboat that won't crack 70mph.

- To go along with the engine upgrades, I will have a Gil off-shore engine mount installed. Don't want to crack any more stringers...

-Mechanical Indicators for the Drive and K-planes is also a must for next year. The electrical drive indicator is always screwing up and with the big K-planes on such a small boat, it will make driving a lot easier.

-I am not wild about the Doors and Hatch to the cabin so I will make a change there. At least the hatch will get changed to Fiberglass or Aluminum.

-Painting the inside of the Faring will happen if time permits.

OH Boy, The $$$ will be flying...
Old 11-23-2003, 08:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hey Patrick,

I have an electric engine hatch lift but it is mounted on the port side of the engine. There is a gas shock on the starboard side to help keep the hatch even. I think the shock is getting tired and the starb. side sags a bit.

See picture ....
Attached Thumbnails Winter Projects-super7.jpg  
Old 11-23-2003, 08:21 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Hey Dave,
I sent Tom your link. I know he is looking at Gary's 1996 24' and at an older Pantera that was redone. He should definitely have a look at yours...

My Engine Hatch does not have the gas shock and does sag to the starboard side. When the shock was good, did it help? Should I add it to my list?

Well the weather was great this weekend, so I was able to spend a few hours pulling her apart. The Drive is off, Battery is out, and I removed the back seat to make it easier to pull the engine...
Old 11-24-2003, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Pat, Looks nice, I am looking at everything I can find SUPERBOAT or PANTERA tough time of year but I'm learning as much as I can now so when I find the right one I'll be ready.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Hey Dave,
If it's not too much trouble, would you mind having a look at your mechanical indicator cables for a part number. I am hoping to buy the right length the first time around... Also, how did you seal the holes through the transom? Is it just the fitting around the cable and a bunch of 5200 squirted in from the inside???
Thanks!
Old 11-29-2003, 10:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hey Patrick,

I'll try to get the info on the cables some time this weekend. I am working this weekend so it may be dark by the time I get home.

Dave
Old 11-29-2003, 01:08 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thanks Dave, No rush...
Any time in the next two months will be fine. I won't be buying anything more for the boat until after the first of the year.
Lots of $$ to spend elsewhere this time of year.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:26 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Well, we had another bright sunny Sunday here in the Northeast. Why couldn't it have been this nice during the Summer???
Pulled my engine and the boat goes in for a Gil off-shore engine mount on Tuesday.
Ready for more HORSEPOWER...
Old 12-10-2003, 06:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I got my boat back from Ocean Performance last night. They installed a Gil off-shore/racing engine mount for me.
They hit my wallet hard I guess it was a tougher job than I thought...

JMK406, You out there?
I sent you a PM many moons ago.
I talk to Dave at OP about your engine mounting issues.
I wish we had talked before they did the work.
You could have had them do the same to your boat.

Quick Reply: Winter Projects

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.