16 Weeks Until Boating Season >

16 Weeks Until Boating Season

Notices

16 Weeks Until Boating Season

Old 01-08-2004, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

I know we are all true boaters when I starring at my coverd boat and counting how many weeks until the weather gets nice again.

Ken--Pat is right. I have the 2001 w/320 and I am quite content running between 68 and 70mph with 2-3 people on board. Most importantly I run from the CT. river to Block Island and back on 3/4 tank of gas maybe $75 at the high end of the gas prices. Were talking solid 50mph cruising. Not many boats out there doing that at that cost.

Unfortunatley, I don't think I will be doing any add-ons this winter due to the cost of the, sore subject, new cuppler.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi Pat,we are fine,thank you,and im looking for warm weather and I'm just collecting powerheads and lower units so there should be NO EXCUSES. With all the gas $ i savrd last year,i should be ready to cruise and im looking for a trip out east at least once this year Tripps
Old 01-10-2004, 12:30 AM
ken
Registered

Pat, I would like to phone you if you would not mind. I have several questions that relate to your experience as both a Pantera and Superboat owner. Again, if you would not mind, please e-mail your number to me via [email protected].
Thanks very much,
Ken
Old 01-11-2004, 11:44 AM
ken
Registered

Well, I am going to California this Thursday, 1/15, for a combination of business and test drive of the 247 Ultra. Although I will probably purchase either the Ultra or Superboat 24, I may have added a third boat to consider, the Pantera 24. I understand that the Pantera is a conventional V with no step, whereas the Superboat has a step. I also see by looking at the specs that the Pantera is considerably heavier than the Superboat. In reading the Pantera OSO threads, the quality and dealings with the factory seem to be unsurpassed. Also, the Pantera 24 with a 496 HO, has been quoted several times with a top speed of around 75. Is this realistic? What are the true ramifications of ownership, top speeds, handling, quality, resale value, etc, between the two, both with the 496 HO motor. I m going to Florida on 2/15 for several days and while there, will visit the Pantera factory and check out their 24.
Thanks,
Ken
Old 01-11-2004, 12:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

75 with a 496 HO sound believable for the Pantera. I know the Superboat will run at least that fast. I have hit 75 with 385 HP. The Pantera is a real nice boat. Whats the price difference between the two?
Old 01-11-2004, 12:32 PM
ken
Registered

The Pantera is about $9-10,000 more expensive, but comes with more standard equipment, I believe.
Ken
Old 01-11-2004, 08:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Ken,

If you would like to rap about Pantera vs. Superboat, give me a call or e-mail. I will say both boats have their advantages vs. the other.

I did put both boats on a scale at a local gravel pit and yes, the Pantera weighed about 350lbs more.
I believe that my Superboat is about 2mph faster than my Pantera was because of the weight difference. The hulls looked like they came from the same mold.
No doubt a 425HP/496magHO will push either boat 75mph.

Unless JC is really discounting his boats this winter, there is not a 9-10K difference in price if the boats are rigged similarly. I had both John and Jo work up prices for a new boat 2 years ago. They came in within 2K. Bringing a boat up from FLA will also add some cost though.

Have a safe trip out West and keep us in the loop. Only boating for us northerners this time of year, is BS-ing on the computer.

Last edited by Pat McPherson; 01-11-2004 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:59 PM
ken
Registered

Pat, thanks for the reply. I will call you tomorrow evening, 1/12, after 7:30 PM.
Thanks,
Ken
Old 01-14-2004, 06:41 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Ken,
Good to talk to you the other night...
I hope I helped and didn't confuse you or raise more questions. I sometimes talk in circles.

Have safe trips out West and down South.
Enjoy the warm weather and your test rides.

When you get back, sit down with JC again. I think you fellows can work out a decent deal.

I recommend 280K-plans, twin piston steering, and race mount for your engine as minimum options.
As for power: Sean and Dave say 425HP/496magHO. I don't think the extra $$ are worth it. I would go with the 375HP/496mag. The 496mag can always be upgraded to a 496magHO with a cam and program change down the road.
If you still have 3k burning a hole in your pocket, add a swim platform, Gafrig gages, and mechanical indicators for your drive and k-planes.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:28 PM
ken
Registered

Pat, thanks for your advice and guidance. The phone conversation the other night was more than helpful. I agree with your deal points that I should make with JC regarding options and overall pricing for the boat. I will give you a shout when I get back from CA this weekend. Have a great remainder of the week and weekend and I will speak to you soon.
Ken

Quick Reply: 16 Weeks Until Boating Season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.