16 Weeks Until Boating Season

Notices

16 Weeks Until Boating Season

Old 01-07-2004, 06:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up 16 Weeks Until Boating Season

I was reading through Dave M's winter projects thread and thought it might be getting too long.
So let's start another...

It's dam cold out, so I'm trying to think Spring...

Anyone have new plans to share?

Dave and Sean,
Are you still trying to sell and go bigger?
It seems that a lot of 24' Superboat owners are. I saw another 24' I/O for sale in Mass; that makes 5 that I know of. The market seems to be flooded with them. I wish there had been so many to chose from last year when I was looking.
Maybe you can get JC to take a 24' in on trade toward a new 30'y2k. I have had that thought a time or two...

Hey Formula Jim,
It's been a while since we heard from you. Can't wait to hear about the new 30' you are going to order up...
Maybe JC will have one in the works I could have a look at during our next trip to LI.

Anyone else out there going buy themselves a Superboat?

Hey ZZ, Any bites?
Maybe formula Jim will trade you his cabin cruiser?
I'm sure she will sell come Spring.

Hey Tripps, What's up?

JMK, Snap in carpet and a swim platform for your ride?
Old 01-07-2004, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Pat, I'm still waiting for that sweet deal on a 27-30 ftr. and a buyer of my 24 to come along . If not I have a list of things that I have in mind. Put it this way, Holden will be busy....

Engine Work (secret)
Hydro. Steering w/new MoMo wheel
New exhaust Tips
New Prop
Stereo
Drive Shower

After this year I'll be a done deal...getting married in Nov. I gotta make a move now or I'll never upgrade or do the mods I want.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:03 PM
ken
Registered

I am leaning heavily towards purchasing a new 24. I visited JC at the shop last weekend. He has an unrigged 24 there in colors that I like, but don't love and the price is the same as an ordered boat. I have spoken to him since my visit and need some sharpening of the price on the boat at the factory or else I may order a boat, which is probably the better move anyway. Truthfully guys, is the 24 with the 375 hp 496 MAG a 70 + mph boat or is the HO needed? This is a one shot deal, I am not the type to buy today and then trade up next year. I will put myself out on a limb now to get the boat that I will want for the long term. Also, I am still in semi-love with the Ultra 247, but the arguement that since it is a West Coast boat, it will not have as good a resale value on the East Coast, is a fairly compelling one. Anyway, I am going to California during the week of 1/12 and while there will test drive the Ultra at the factory. I have already negotiated a price that I am happy with. Once the test drive is done, I am finished looking and will purchase one, probably the Superboat. Thanks, Ken
Old 01-07-2004, 10:29 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Hi Ken,
You will not be disappointed with the performance and speed of a 24' Superboat.

I have a 1997 24' with a 310HP/7.4MPI. With 2 people and 30 gal. fuel my GPS reads 65mph every day of the week and I have seen 67 a few times.
JMK406 has a 2001 with a 320HP/6.2MPI and goes by me so he is running in the upper 60's.
The word from the guys on this board is that the straight v (1997 and older) 24' runs 73mph(gps) with a 365HP/454mag carb and the stepped hull 24' (1998 and newer) will top out at 75mph with a 385HP/454magMPI.
I would assume that a new 24' rigged with the 375HP/496mag will run between 70 and 75mph depending on how the boat is loaded. A 425HP/496magHO may get you close to 80 with a light load??? 500HP will max the boat out at 85mph...

Speed is not everything though, I run circles around bigger and faster boats when I get out in 2-3' seas.
The narrow beam and deep v of these boats really makes a difference in the rough. I had a 24' Pantera (virtually the same hull) before my Superboat and it gave the same great ride. It is an old school, narrow, deep V design from the late 60's that works...

Good Luck! and Keep us Updated,

Last edited by Pat McPherson; 01-07-2004 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Hey Patrick,

I'm thinking more like 14 weeks! Not that I'm counting.

I haven't started on my laundry list yet with the holidays and all.

As far as trading up, I'm still undecided. I'm hoping the market and the tax man will be good to me over the next few months. I'm still trying to work with the numbers to see whether my planned mods or trading up makes more sense.

Ken,

I would go with the HO! You should see consistent 75+ MPH speeds and have great reliability. Of course if you want to spend $$ a 500 EFI would be my dream engine for the 24.

Last edited by Dave M; 01-08-2004 at 05:25 AM.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:51 AM
Registered

I agree with Dave , but i would go for the lil' extra with the HO. I was content at first with the constant 71-74 range, but now I want more!!. I kick' myself for not getting the 502. I think the 496 is the engine you want for the constant speed and turn key reliability.... However if you want a 2000 with a 454 mag mpi... I can save you at least 15k ..ha ha
Good luck with your decision...
Attached Thumbnails 16 Weeks Until Boating Season-dsc00235.jpg  
Old 01-08-2004, 11:32 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Hey Dave,
14 weeks? Only two weeks sooner than us northerners?
Hell JC was out the first of January, That is really sick...
I'm hoping to be ready for the first of May.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:47 PM
JIM H
Charter Member

hey pat and all

well i have to get rid of my "cabin cruiser" and the wife before i buy a new boat so it will be a while

jim h
Old 01-08-2004, 01:50 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Hey Jim,
Sorry to hear about your divorce. Hope it all works out soon...
Old 01-08-2004, 03:00 PM
JIM H
Charter Member

it's all about dollar's and cents at this point
thank god no kids

jim h

Quick Reply: 16 Weeks Until Boating Season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.