Notices

The Season Is Upon Us !

Old 05-09-2004, 10:14 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking The Season Is Upon Us !

Hello to All...

It's raining here in CT so I guess we won't be spending Mother's Day out on the water.
I did get my son to try on his new life vest though, a hand me down from Tommy Seatow's daughter Alie. Many thanks to her.

A little update on my project:
Engine is in and running OK. I changed out the IAC and adjusted the throttle linkage stop. It still does not idle great. When she is warm, 850-900rpm. I was hoping for around 700, and that is what the new ECU is supposed to be calibrated for.
Out on the water the engine has performed well. Much better acceleration than stock and top rpm is up 150-200rpm to 4700... The plugs look good so the high rpm calibration seems to be on.
My plan at this point is to have the ECU calibration tweaked to try to improve the idle. This should be possible as the engine will idle better with the stock ECU...

Weather permitting, I plan to run her again Monday or Tuesday. I'll remember my GPS this time...

Volvo Penta 7.4MPI on roids.
Attached Thumbnails The Season Is Upon Us !-boat-003.jpg  
Old 05-09-2004, 11:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Looks good Patrick,

Too bad about the rain up there. It's real nice down here today but I am stuck at work. Check out my thread in the tech section about my"sludge leak". Tell me what you think. I think the fuel pump might be going and leaking down into the housing below. I hope it is the fuel pump ($120) and not the sea water pump ($500). I'm going to unbolt the fuel pump when I get home and see if that tells me anything.

Dave M.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:56 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Hi Dave,
I did read about your low pressure fuel pump and sea pump problem.
I don't have any experience with those units, but it sounds like your mechanical fuel pump is leaking gas into the oil reservoir were the cam drive is. Let's just hope that water is not leaking in too.
$120 sounds like a lot of $$$ for that fuel pump, Merc special I suppose...
A mechanical fuel pump on a Gen IV is like $60.
If it does turn out to be the sea pump, you may want to consider a deferent route than stock.
A low pressure electric fuel pump can be purchased for about $100. And a Jabsco bronze version of the Merc sea pump can be purchased for about $275 or you can go crank driven sea pump for even less $$.
Sorry to here about the problem.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Pat!
I got out yesterday and ran from Branford to New Haven to Guilford. 2 foot chop, cold and greyish. What a great way to mark the beginning of the season....the boat ran GREAT!

Don't know about your area, but during the first few days of the season, the ramp is full of loonies! Yikes!

I'm ready for the summer. Let me know if you want someone to run around with. We're buying a new house. So, I might be a bit busy this summer, but since the boat ran so well, i'll be sure to leave plenty of free weekends!

Chris
Old 05-09-2004, 07:56 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I just check the weather, Tuesday is looking to be a great day.
Need to sneak out of work early and get on the water.
Anyone in the CT river area going to be out?
JMK?
I am hoping to be launched by 5pm...