Not A good Weekend.

Notices

Not A good Weekend.

Old 05-31-2004, 08:44 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not A good Weekend.

Well after spending friday night working on the boat getting it ready for the big splash . New plugs were installed ,new fuel filters new waterpumps and impellers, fresh batteries. the hose was hooked up to the motors and they fired up right away. I burned out the fogging oil , I installed new plugs and got ready for the boating season to begin. Next morning my wife invited my neighbors to go boating with us. We drove to the ramp, put the boat in warmed the motors and headed out for a good day. ( in a perfect world )
Went to get on plane , One motor started coughing and spitting and puffing smoke , the other started to over heat. I made it back to the ramp put the boat back on the trailer and came home . unloaded all the stuff , then got to stat thinking about what went wrong? I put in a call to TRIPPS and asked the GURU of the outboards, were to start my search. He gave me some good starting points . After doing my Checks I found a vacum line going from one carb to another to be off and the end split. So a quick snip and install the problem solved ?? not Quite. The motor checked out on the garden hose. So on to the over heating problem . I removed the lower unit took it in to my garage took the water pump off and found out that a gasket moved and was blocking a waterjacket. I fixed that , And installed the lower back on the boat. Hose check turned out to be good . Tow boat back to the ramp ( 15 miles) put boat in ,start motors leave ramp , idle around ramp area get boat on plane everything looked good Now the other motor (the one with the coughing/spitting problem)Starts to over heat. Well back on the trailer, the wife mad Boat back in yard . I think I'll have a few beers and start again tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:12 AM
Registered

Default Re: Not A good Weekend.

That Sux Stix!

I too ran into some problems this weekend. Last week I reported a loss of RPM problem while tryin to tab & trim. So this weekend I go down there I check all the plugs, wires and connections etc., I cleaned them off, tightened everything down, checked all the ground leads. Tried again, I'm still loosing RPM . Finally yesterday I borrowed my friends "Flukie" voltage meter . Started up the boat put the meter on the altenator and start tabbin and trimmin and the meter sunk down to 11.08 I suppose this would mean that my alternator is shot right? I should be drawing 13.5 min. correct? Anyone of the Online Gurus have any input ? Pat, Dave, Tripps? anyone ? ... Bueller?... So I guess I'm going take my altenator down to the garage to be tested and start from there. Good Luck with your OBs ..

To be continued...
Old 05-31-2004, 11:44 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Re: Not A good Weekend.

Dutra,
Sorry to hear about you problems. I thought mine where bad . Eletrical problems can drive you nuts sometimes. Well I don't fee like I'm the only one not boating. It's raining here so. I'm going to kick back and drink ! Tripps said his brother works on these motors , And he lives about 80 miles from me. I'm going to make a few calls tomorrow. and try too get it done around here,Hopefully By next week. Hope things work out for you.It sounds like your on the right track!!! eliminate al l possible causes. Then move on. Good luck !

May our Bows cross paths one day!!

Last edited by Gassticks; 05-31-2004 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Gas,you are not alone!! after i fixed my waterpump,my friend told me that the ramp robber was getting 50$ to use the ramp if you didn't have the permit so knowing it was gonna rain and be crummy monday,i left it on the trailer,and will put it in thursday and use that fifty for beer!! And i know that i had a hot situation with my 1 mota so i took off 1 head and checked the cylinders for any sign of scuffing,melting,or sticking and saw none,but the head gasket looked a little melted,so on goes new ones. If i didnt check taht i would worry all the way to the NYC poker run,waiting for a massive faliure That is intresting about your waterpump problem,ya gotta be carefull when u put them together ! Tell your wife it will get better!! Tripps
Old 05-31-2004, 06:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I thought those egg-beaters were supposed to be a lot less trouble than I/O's? Sorry to here of all the problems.

The only problem here was the SUCK-ASS weather. Sat. was nice but Sun and today sucked.

I got out-ran by a 27 Fountain with a 500 HP on Sat. Actually it was about a 60 second drag race in calm water. I didn't even have time to get my trim and tabs set before he decided to declare victory. After that we headed up river and faced a gauntlet of huge cruiser wakes and he wasn't going past me then.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:21 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, so long as we are telling our sad sorries, I'll tell mine...
No boating or even time to work on my boat this weekend. My poor son Henry has had chronic ear infections for 8-9 months. Three different antibiotics would not clear his latest bout up. Long story short... After many sleepless nights we took him to the hospital today for ear tubes. Tough thing to do, hand your kid over to strangers to be operated on. The 15min procedure went well, and we are told he will be a new kid...

Can't help the out-board guys, but I may have a couple of thoughts for Sean.
I had a similar problem with my Pantera. Engine seemed to run fine up to about 4000rpm, then it would start cutting out. The voltmeter would bounce all over the place. My problem was a short or a weak wire in the ignition circuit. After changing the tach., the coil, and the ignition switch, I finally just ran a new purple wire from the switch to the coil.
To me it sounds like lost power to the coil. You can jumper or hot wire the the (+) side of the coil after you have started the engine. Take it for a blast to see if this is your problem... You will have to remove the jumper before turning the engine off after testing.

Last edited by Pat McPherson; 06-01-2004 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:27 PM
Registered

Smile Re: Not A good Weekend.

Pat,
I hope little Henry is ok and well...He has a big summer ahead of him!
Old 06-01-2004, 08:04 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Pat,
Sorry to here about your little boy I hope things work out for him.
Tripps , thanks for your help the other day. It was really welcomed . I might have to take the boat to a dealer and have them give it the good once over. I talked to one guy today and he had nothing but bad news ,(he was talking rebuild time ) and about 3 large ones to do the job. Well I still have about a six pack left from the weekend so I'll have to have a couple. and think about my next move
Old 06-01-2004, 08:45 PM
Registered

I hope your son feels better! I went through the same thing with my son , make sure he has ear plugs on the boat!
Old 06-01-2004, 09:14 PM
Registered

I also had a bad weekend, with the narrow beam ,and large k planes ,if the drive is trimmed way up and you turn hard ,the prop hits the tab. Bang!! destroyed a new lab finished prop! and we did it at the ramp launching, no rides this weekend! And I hope no damage to my new drive! tide was way low and trim was way up to launch.new prop on the way.money pit gettin a lil deeper, dam i lov boating!

Quick Reply: Not A good Weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.