New Member Here-Thinking about buying Sutphen 21' >

New Member Here-Thinking about buying Sutphen 21'

Notices

New Member Here-Thinking about buying Sutphen 21'

Old 08-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool New Member Here-Thinking about buying Sutphen 21'

Hi all, My name's Nick I just joined the boards and I had a few questions about buying a sutphen boat. Ill explain about the boat first. I believe its a late 70's early 80s 20.7' sutphen jet boat. There is a thread in this section about a sutphen jet that was on ebay and it looks like that only blue. Its powered by a 460 cubic inch ford big block, gale banks twin turbo and a berkley outdrive. 15 Years ago it had over 700 hp and ran 92mph. Since then its been sitting in a boat yard. It was rebuilt just before it was put away but the motor ended up doing something to two of the valves(thats what the owner tells me). Does anyone know what it would cost to replace the valves in this motor? Also does anyone know where I could get some seats made for it? 15 years of ohio weather has destroyed the interior and faded the paint. Im going to try and bring the paint back with some Malcco Products and a buffer though. Since its been sitting so long what are some things I should replace/repair on the motor? Any other advice or info on sutphen boats would be appreciated since I am fairly new to the boating scene.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:21 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Default Re: New Member Here-Thinking about buying Sutphen 21'

Only way to make sure thats the only damage to the engine is to pull it apart. As far as it sitting that long. I would checking for rot and other deteriorating items to the hull of the boat.

There are plenty of places to buy seats. Some of the other guys would chime in. I would low ball him on the price if I was to buy it due to the amount of wokr that has to be done. This is just my opinion. You start taking it apaprt and you might be surprised at what you find you might have to fix.

Buyer beware!!
Old 08-04-2006, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Nick,
The best way to evaluate the condition of this boat would be to have a proper marine survey done. The cost of the survey will be well worth it in the long run and an insurance company may insist upon it before they agree to cover it. Damage to the hull from water or improper storage can make the mechanical problems seem small. If the hull passes inspection, find a mechanic or friend that knows jet boats and have them look at the mechanical side of things.
Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails New Member Here-Thinking about buying Sutphen 21'-20sutp%7E1-small-.jpg  
Old 08-04-2006, 09:17 AM
Registered

Thanks for the replies guys.
A friend owns the boat so the price is already very low.
A also know the mechanic at the local marina. Ill take it to him and see what he says about the hull/motor. The interior floorboard is a bit soft so I'm sure ill replace that. I did a visual inspection of the hull and it seams very solid. The paint on top is faded but underneather it looks brand new(go figure). I'm still looking around for some seats, Im not sure if Id be able to get some seats out of something else to make them fit or not.
BTW the boat looks exactly like the one Sutphil posted a picture of, only in blue. Is there a website or anything out there with more pictures and information on these boats?
Old 08-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Blast3r
Is there a website or anything out there with more pictures and information on these boats?
You're here.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: New Member Here-Thinking about buying Sutphen 21'

try Rich Jr...www.sutphenboats.com
Old 08-10-2006, 01:21 AM
Registered

I am looking for a 21 ft sutohen to turbo. If you decide to flip this boat let me know.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:33 PM
Registered

Dear all, my name is Simone,
a new member and can't post new topics because I have no creditcard (I live on Curacao, an island in the Caribbean).

I truly hope I can find someone who knows enough about Sutphen powerboats.

I'm thinking about buying a Sutphen Powerboad, build '92, 39 feet, two inside engines (800 hp each).
The reason why I want to buy this boat is because I want to offer powerboat chartertours to tourists visiting the island.

The sea of Curacao (offshore) is known to be extremely rough at times. Can anyone tell me if this boat I've got my eye on is the right boat for these conditions?

Many thanks in advance guys, any help I can get is more then welcome!
Kind regards,
Simone Leeflang