need info on a sutphen 18 i found >

need info on a sutphen 18 i found

Notices

need info on a sutphen 18 i found

Old 07-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need info on a sutphen 18 i found

i live in massachusetts and in my neighborhood is a sutphen 18 that the owner is willing to sell. the boat needs a lot of work, i mean alot, like the engine has water in oil, it was left with the valve cover off, the starter motor is bad, steering is locked, interior shot and trailer isnt going anywhere anytime soon. the odd thing about it is that it has a 165 merc I/O straight six, did any originally come with these engines? if i could get this thing dirt cheap would it be worth it?i also found a sutphen 21 OB with no engine and the transom is in rough shape for 500. i would really love to own a sutphen and would like to know if these are good deals or not
Old 07-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

hey pats..
can you get a pic or 2 to post? if so, maybe i could offer a thought or 2...
c
Old 07-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Registered

ill have to see if i can get pics of the 18 tomorrow, they wont be that great because i have to take them with my cell phone
Old 07-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No pics needed. I would not buy a straight six 18 footer.

Not enough motor to keep you happy.

For the price of a new interior, drive, and engine...I'm sure you can find a nice runner that's not been neglected.

Good luck. Dave911
Old 07-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Registered

Where in mass are you. I am in CT and if its not to far would be willing to take a look at it with you.

I would imagine from the sound of it they are not good starter boats since the learning curve would be huge, but We don't know how much you know or what your capable of either.

Doing stringers and transom isn't the end of the world for many people while others could never even think of doing this type of work.

There are a few others around, two 20's in CT that I know of and a 18 that was for sale on LI but not sure if its gone now.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Registered

sorry i didnt introduce myself first. im a high school student about to join into the marine tech class in my school. im alot more mechanically inclined than most high school students. boating is a big part of my life and have been into boats for a long time. my family boat that i use now is just a plain old 21 ft cuddy cabin and im plenty busy working on its dreadful 3.7l mercruiser. with a really tight budget im pretty sure i could tackle the 18 for a winter project, but that 21 would be alot easier since it is an outboard. i dont know alot about rebuilding transoms, but if need be im sure i could get help from somewhere. the 165 merc is whats scarin me away from the 18, would i have to modify the stringers to throw in a chevy small block?
Old 07-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Registered

I doubt it. I think the mounts would probably be the same all the mounts on my 20 were was the T style mounts from ardin marine basically two bolts and a stud in the center allached to mounts bolted to the engine. It was such a simple set up you couldn't believe it could work

Try and take some pics if you can.

Get the 6 banger and turbo charge it with a blow through deal.
We do them on 6 cyl drag cars all the time.

It would be a really diferent ride and make plenty of HP
what was the drive on that one ?

Theres a turbocharging forum on the turboforums.com for boats now too.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Registered

i think its a first gen alpha but im not sure. a turbo would be pretty different but its quite a bit of cash to spend that i dont have. what is out there for performance c]camshafts and would a 4 barrel car intake manifold work on a marine engine. i noticed the stock manifold is a 4 with an adapter for a 2. i no there arent many if any guys on this forum runnin a hipo 6 cyl that could help me. and there is also the 21 OB, how big of a motor could that thing hold? i was thinkin a 225 would move it pretty good though it seems like a heavy boat