Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sutphen
what kind of speed out of a 26??? >

what kind of speed out of a 26???

Notices

what kind of speed out of a 26???

Old 07-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what kind of speed out of a 26???

26 with a single 365 hp prety much stock motor?
it all original boat, 400 hours nice shape needs a little touch up here and there.
what is it worth, what kind of speed we talking?
Old 07-22-2008, 06:41 PM
Registered

what year is it?

They are worth in the 20K range.

Some little higher some a little lower. I am a fan of twins but in this economy alot of people are going singles.

Money should be the same I would think and the MPH with less drag should be mid to low 60's.(just a guess)
My 26 with twin 200 HP mercs with some Hp tricks just went 71 MPH on GPS 2 weeks ago. previous owner says should do 73 or 74 with the timing as it is knocked back a little.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i don't think a 26 with a single 365 can break 60. not intending to offend, but a superboat (or k/o copy) with the same hp will only do around 62-5...

jeff..i've heard higher with your set up...faster than me..
c
Old 07-23-2008, 07:10 AM
Registered

either way, some place near 60 is a good start. if i get the boat, i will pull the motor this winter, rebuild it, port the heads and redo them, throw an intake on it and maybe swap the cam. just bump it up say 30-40 hp and i should see a hard 60 on gps

ive built race motors for my race car, but i think i would keep the boat very mild, maybe a set of alum heads but nothing crazy. not looking for a headache
Old 07-23-2008, 09:26 AM
Registered

take a look into turbocharging.

I am a moderatro on the forced induction part of pontiaczone.com
I do a lot of turbo set ups and we make 800+ HP with ease. I ahve done some boats for guys and they are very simple to do.
you can use the stock merc manifolds. stainless block off plate to mount the turbos and then you just need to make water jacketed pipes from there which is pretty simple.

Witha boat you can do an air to water intercooler very easily and make big HP numbers due to the constant flow of cold water.

C whats your boat run?

I have heard mine did 76 on GPS but with a bit more timing than I was running. I was playin it safe.
Still haven't figure out the rev issue yet.
workin on it though.
I wish I did a small bolck boat just so I could have turbocharged it down the road.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 30ctsutphen
take a look into turbocharging.

I am a moderatro on the forced induction part of pontiaczone.com
I do a lot of turbo set ups and we make 800+ HP with ease. I ahve done some boats for guys and they are very simple to do.
you can use the stock merc manifolds. stainless block off plate to mount the turbos and then you just need to make water jacketed pipes from there which is pretty simple.

Witha boat you can do an air to water intercooler very easily and make big HP numbers due to the constant flow of cold water.

C whats your boat run?

I have heard mine did 76 on GPS but with a bit more timing than I was running. I was playin it safe.
Still haven't figure out the rev issue yet.
workin on it though.
I wish I did a small bolck boat just so I could have turbocharged it down the road.
i used to have a twin turbo set up on my Camaro, it was unreal. i have nitrous now, but the turbo was sick.

but right now a little motor tweek with a reliable 60+ will be good for me for now. i see if they do the new 27 i heard about, i will buy one of those in the future and turn the 26 into my racer. i'll float around like a frog waiting to race people. lol
Old 07-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Registered

you went from turbo back to nitrous?

Thats and unusual step . most guys on the site are switching from NOS to turbo.

I am wondering what prompted that change?

Who did your tuning? Job /Turbo People

sounds like a good plan for the boat.
Why not just bottle feed that thing too?should be able to make that HP reliably with NOS don't ya think?
Old 07-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 30ctsutphen
you went from turbo back to nitrous?

Thats and unusual step . most guys on the site are switching from NOS to turbo.

I am wondering what prompted that change?

Who did your tuning? Job /Turbo People

sounds like a good plan for the boat.
Why not just bottle feed that thing too?should be able to make that HP reliably with NOS don't ya think?
its a newer LS1 Camaro. i did the turbo set up years ago, long befor most people did anything with these cars.
i had the 2nd twin turbo kits CAS ever did, they used my car as a prototype, i did alot of the fit work etc it was allot of work.
i did this on the stock motor ended up running 10.6 with the car which at the time was the 2nd fastes 6 speed forced induction car.
i then trted to put the car into the 9's and just ran out. the turbo's to small, the kit just wouldnt go any further and it was a pain in the ass to work on etc. so i went to the spray, i have had spray on the car since, and since then i broke the 346 spray record (some one has it now, but i dont run a 346 anymore) then i did a 402 with 2 stages and an ass pile of spray, went 9.0 with the car then i had one of the first lsx cars running when i did the new GMPP lsx block and since then have gone 8.9 barrly hitting the car.
it runs 9.7 on motor and thats with a converter/gear for spray.

i do myown tuning with the help of east side performance.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Registered

Cool

I runa carberated 69 firebird with a 468 pontiac and a T88 it runs 9.70's at 145 MPH woth only a 1.71 60 ft time. I haven't been back to the track lately but have the carb tuned alot better should run hard.

I have very little cash in the firebird it was built as kind of a test car for the web site I am a moderator on.
Everyone said I couldn't run 9's for cheap $$.
I had $5500.00 in the motor and turbo set up when I went 9.70.

We also a have a 86 capri me and a buddy work on thats making 1380 HP at the wheels running 8.60 at 161 with a 347 ford but its a pretty big dollar DFI car, tuned by job spetter.

He ran the 8.60 and the data logger showed he pedalled it 3 times. It also ran in the Hot rod pump gas drags 4 years ago and took 13th spinning and having converter issues. if it ran its normal time would have been a second place finish. My buddy robin did well that year in his firebird though.

I am psyched tonight I finaly found the problem with my merc engine on my 26 rum runner it was an intermittent switch box issue that drove me crazy.
Everyone said the switch boxes couldn't do that. I should have known from drag racing you have to check everything no matter what anyone says.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:48 AM
Registered

nice, sounds like a sweet ride!!!

im selling my power gilde out of my car if you know anyone looking for a nasty tranny that will handle 2000 hp. im going back to a th-400 and hope to run 8.50-8.70 befor the season is up.

check everything all the time, if not you will get bitten in the ass

Quick Reply: what kind of speed out of a 26???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.