Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sutphen
Negative on Sutphen >

Negative on Sutphen

Notices

Negative on Sutphen

Old 10-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

air ride should do some research and find out how many sutphens have flipped over because of steps in the hull, the answer is not one! as far as I am concerned steps can be very dangerous also I don't feel that steps help at all in rough water, where we boat all we have is big water. personally I would rather have a safe extremely well built boat , i e sutphens rule!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you guys know I am a huge sutphen fan.

My family has owned a few and I grew up on them.

One thing I must say though is my brothers fountain, although
bouncier also handles rougher water pretty well when your on it hard. Its a step type hull.

I have been more and more impressed by the fountain hull as he gets used to how to run it.

That being said I still think sutphens are one of the best made.

40 you owned both whats your take on the step fountain versus the sutphen?
Old 10-02-2008, 12:04 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

We havent owned a step Fountain but do have alot of hours in a stepped 42. The 42 Fountain has a great hull and a great ride. We have run that boat in big big water at a good clip and it handles real good. In a following sea the bow doesnt seem to rise so you get wet but it still rides very well. Sutphens are great boats as everyone knows. Still with Tsunami and the Gladiator which is a step bottom, I would take the Cigarette. I have never felt unsafe ever in the boat in any water and we boat in big water as well or running 90+mph in poker runs. Step hulls when driven properly run amazing and are perfectly safe just as Sutphens are. Sutphens are built as good if not better than anything out there and for not being big heavy resin buckets run damn well in any water! Now a big cat is where its at! Maybe my Dad has a different take on it???

Dan
Old 10-02-2008, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the sutphen ride is by far a great running boat. I own a 30 sutphen with two motors, its a older hull, built by Sr in cape coral. I use the sutphen off the waters of Atlantic City NJ, much like the 777 gang. When i was in the market for a boat i decided on sutphen after extensive research - the boats are built really well. my stringer system is boxed the bottom is 2 degrees more then a common perf boat which means it needs a little more power to make mph however the ride is amazing esp in very rough water. It will be very hard to sell my boat as i enjoy it very much.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:27 AM
Registered

I'll always take over built and a little slower for better rough water capability.

What colors are your boat?

Do you go to Trump Marina much?
Old 10-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I just couldn't resist jumping in on this with my two cents..

First, I was raised on Long Island Sound and my first boat was a 20 foot solid wood boat called a Dunphy. Not built for speed but that boat could go damn near anywhere. In the late 60's early 70's when offshore racing was getting started those boats were built to take some of the worst water we've ever seen and they did it at unheard of speeds for the time.

Sutphens are built with all this in mind even today. Why fix something that isn't broken. Maybe weight is important to push that extra MPH, however, some of you may want to take the family out for a blast. Why let them bounce all over. I've never driven a stepped hull and really don't care if I ever do. All I do know is our boats are built to take punishment if need be. Our new and redesigned 277 and 31 will do just that. Safety first and foremost. As an older guy, I like to go fast but prefer feeling comfortable in doing so.

Morgan and I are working with Rich, Jr. to give to our supporters what they want..tried and true and reliable and definitely built to last.

I can't speak for any other manufacturer but the combined experiences of the three of us will produce boats that surely will be a subject of conversation.

Most of you have already seen our 21 SS and SSX. Some have seen them in person. My first experience being on the other side of the fence at the Norwalk boat show was remarkable to say the least. I was very proud to hear people comment on the lines and finish of our boats and I was certainly overwhelmed by the number of people that were happy we were starting this venture.

For me, it is a dream come true. To represent a product that is built with the heart is truly comforting. Richie, Jr. really enjoys what he is doing and we are confident that we will make our company grow and respected.

Of course, none of this could happen without the support of all of you. Thank you.

Sutphen Performance Group, LLC

Ron
Old 10-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Registered

Ron,

I'm in total agreement with you. Why mess with success. Sutphens are legendary.

I was trying to be polite when I started this thread, but the guy that made those comments is a moron.

Probably owns a bayliner.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

solid, safe, predictable, classic, rough-water boats...where's the problem?
Old 10-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Powerplay25
I'll always take over built and a little slower for better rough water capability.

What colors are your boat?

Do you go to Trump Marina much?
Red and white.

I do head to Trump once and a while. but mostly go to places with less noise- sea isle for sea food at carmens or cape may to the lobster house and blast between Ac and Oc

I too saw the threads and negative comments...
i mailed the new sutphen group a while ago trying to get some info on the hatches they are building for the new boat as i wanted to put one on the 30 but i did not receive any reply. I hope all is well with their new product.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

hey christian..
good summer on the shore?
hope so!
(selling me th eboat yet?)
christian

Quick Reply: Negative on Sutphen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.