Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sutphen
big ugly windshields on sutphens? >

big ugly windshields on sutphens?

Notices

big ugly windshields on sutphens?

Old 12-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big ugly windshields on sutphens?

What is the deal I have seen two of these now with these ugly windshields. I know they are truely custom boats but shouldnt there be some style police out there or something.LOL

http://www.doublerperformance.com/ga....php?album=273
Old 12-26-2008, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Your answer lies with just one gentleman, Bob McCoy.
He is no longer with us. There will be a Poker Runs of America event especially for him next summer. And the high windshields were on all his boats, not just Sutphen's.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:01 AM
Registered

Really they were all done by one guy?
Sorry to hear he's passed on.

What was the deal with the BIg windshields?

Was he from michigan I saw one there to an OP with a big windshield and pushed forward too.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes most were done by him. He was from Canada and has owned quite a few Sutphens. I dont think he liked all the wind. He was boating up into his late 70's I believe.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Windshields

Bob Mckoy was a long time Sutphen owner of a couple of boats in Canada and Florida. He was a fixture at all the 1000 Island/Canadian Poker Runs He had to custom order the tall windshields over Rich Sutphen Sr's objection. Rich Sr knew they were unsightly but the customer gets his way in the custom boat scene.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Registered

Yes I talked to the guys at Double r prefromance Where the boat is for sale. Nice guys and the stories they told me about bob Mc koy were very cool.
I guess he did the same thing with a Nortech.

Sounded like a nice guy that the boating world will miss.

Still dont like the big windshield for looks, but I guess he was one of the few of us who didnt buy a performance boat to look a certain way and to show off in that same way.

He just wanted to be comfortable his way and have some fun.
Theres definately something to be said for that.

Maybe hes the one who had it right!
Old 01-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Registered

Yes he had it right, my buddy and I where up at the 1,000 Island Poker Run on his 34 Sutphen. I remember his Sutphen 39 was running 900-hp Poker Run Edition motors and had 4 stand up bolsters, one of the first back then. He and his 3 buddies (all in their 70's at least) had it all over everybody. The day of the run it was all rain, I looked across the dock only to see Bob's 39 "The Real McKoy" dressed in a full cockpit enclosure snapped off that big windshield and up and over the radar on the arch that sported the Raytheon radar just in case the fog rolled in too. Bob and his buddies were always ready to run rain or shine, and they crushed us in the rough stuff twice, once in Georgian Bay and once again in Toronto. He is missed!
Old 01-14-2009, 07:59 PM
Registered

Sounds like he was a great member of the boating comunity that brought his own style to it. Alss sounds like he really knew his boats, and the fact that he owned so many sutphens Shows that those who know choose sutphens!

I was telling my wife the other day that if I owneda boat and had that last name I would call it "the reel McKoy" I was only one letter off.LOL

Funny thing is my wifes grandfather who passed away a few years ago from cancer and whom we loved very much was named Bob MCKay, Again one letter off, and it's even the same letter.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob was an amazing guy. No doubts about it. Someone I was very proud to call a friend. A friend who could drop large $ on a boat and then deal with me ribbing him over his windshields without ever getting upset. One day Bob was at double R picking up his new 43 nortech and I walked in and immediately cracked about carrying over the windshield styling from the sutphens to the nortech. Bob spun around, looked me square in the face and said " Azzhole, I weigh what? 125 pounds. The friggin windshield is the only thing that stops me from being blown out of the boat at 100mph!"

Bob had a nice collection of Sutphens in his time. A sweet 31 with 2 x 300 x's on the back for the cottage. a 33 in florida for fishing, a 39 with 4 evinrude v8's for poker running which was succeded by the 39 with 900's and then a new 39 with quad merc fishing motors for what else? fishing. His last ride was the 43 nortech with 1075's for poker runs.

Yes, the old man really had the offshore bug bad. Bob passed away last year after a battle with cancer at the age of 83. At 82, he was still poker running with the gang which almost always included his identical twin brother Carl. Those buggers had some real fun playing on the "its not me, its him" twin thing.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Registered

Did he own the boat that was in michigan with the big windshield or is that another big windshield boat by someone else?
It had twin big blocks with torquer intakes on them. White with red stripes and a red stripe down the center of the bow?

I looked at it last year online. Nice boat, nice price, not so nice windshiled.LOL

The fiberglass had even beed moved forward so you were stuck with that windhield for the most part or I would have bought it.
They wouldnt send me aside view picture of it for the longest time.
It also had a radar bridge in SS and bike racks on it.
If that helps Identify it

I am suprised he went with evinrudes on a poker runner and mercs on a fishing boat?

Shouldnt that have been opposite?

Is his brother still around poker running?

He sounds lot like paul newman was with cars but he (bob) was into boats.

The guys at double R talked about him with very much respect.
They seemed to be really nice guys as well.

Quick Reply: big ugly windshields on sutphens?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.