Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sutphen
'87 Sutphen with TRS drives >

'87 Sutphen with TRS drives

Notices

'87 Sutphen with TRS drives

Old 12-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome boat. I noticed you guys are pulling the engines. Can you get me the casting numbers off those 300 tempests for a research project im doin? Some pics would be great too. Those tempests have some parts never used in any other smallblock mercruiser. Thanks Paul
Old 12-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Registered

Still trying to pin down exactly what we got here for 350s... Former owner says they are merc tempest. According to Sutphen's records on the H.I.N. it was originaly rigged with Hardin marine engines and Arneson drives! Ritchie told us this hull has quite a history, as it used to do 79mph with the original set up. Along the way someone 86ed the Arnesons and converted to TRS drives. Anyway hoping be able to see more i.d. Disconected everything off the port motor and pulling it soon.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Registered

Casting # will be on the bellhousing area left or right. casting on the heads will be under the valvecover. Casting dates will be there too. According to mercruiser parts catalogs it had intakes that were only used on this engine same with the valvecovers. Last year I picked up a set of valvecovers NOS chrome Mercruiser logo embossed into them i have never seen another set. Thought they might be Tempest covers. The intakes are supposed to be a marine version of the edelbrock performer. If ya need a xtra hand im not far from ya. Be glad to help. goodluck Paul.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the tempest engines are 300 hp have 4 bolt mains forged crank, pistons and a different cam
Old 12-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

dan/ken....
ha ha...are you saying i need a bigger sutphen and a topkick to pull her with....
c
Old 12-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristianGott
dan/ken....
ha ha...are you saying i need a bigger sutphen and a topkick to pull her with....
c
Dont know....but.....I know who has a nice Top Kick and bigger Sutphen for sale!!
Old 12-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Registered

Andyt thanks for the info,another member provided us with the build sheets for tempests with merc part numbers which are all long discontinued I know its and all forged motor but im trying to findout what casting was used for the block and heads. Gm built some engine blocks with a high nickel content that resist corrosion. As we know these are the foundation for any good rebuild. The Intake manifold is aluminum and Tempest only part #43268 . I currently have one with brass cooling jackets cast in an aluminum highrise intake im trying to identify.Thanks for the input
Old 12-14-2009, 08:47 PM
Registered

I think I have the smallest Sutphen here
Old 12-15-2009, 01:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey mako & swordfish
Great lookin new rig. Good luck with your project.

Hey Christian, Jeff, Dan, and all the rest of you Sutphen guys.

Happy Holidays
Old 12-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

don't worry paul..
most guys with little sutphens perform better than guys with big bajas..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.