Notices

leds

Old 07-09-2010, 12:57 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmurch3
I just installed some Ocean Led A12 Pro Amphibians on a 288 Sunsation. They are absolutely awesome. I ordered green as I run on a fresh water lake. Beware: Make sure your local Marine Patrol is not discouraging having them on while running. There is a local lake where I boat that is trying to make their own rules and only allowing them to be operated while sitting still.
They may not be making up rules in some cases, displaying any emergency color ( like red or blue) on any vehicle except where it is required (the red running lights on a boat for example) is illegal since it would make you look like a police vehicle.
Also having red or green lights on the back of a boat could be confusing since it would look like you were going in a different direction.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

blue and green are better in salt water
Old 07-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

HOLY BALLS!! did you really spend 2g's on lights or is there a hot spot to get them cheaper?
Old 02-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup...coastal night lights...

way brighter than most LEDS twice the price.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

any pics of the ones from coastal night lights? they seem like they may be the best bang for the buck
Old 02-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I have Abyss lights and I love them. Got them from wake magic. They were great to deal with. Call and Parker will let you know the best lights for your application.http://www.wakemagic.com/ Mine are the WMS 80. I believe that I paid around $250 a piece.
Attached Thumbnails leds-img_0210.jpg   leds-night-time.jpg   leds-img_0410.jpg  

Last edited by indywhsle; 02-21-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Makes for good fishing too
Attached Thumbnails leds-dsc-1049.jpg  
Old 02-21-2011, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmurch3
I just installed some Ocean Led A12 Pro Amphibians on a 288 Sunsation. They are absolutely awesome. I ordered green as I run on a fresh water lake. Beware: Make sure your local Marine Patrol is not discouraging having them on while running. There is a local lake where I boat that is trying to make their own rules and only allowing them to be operated while sitting still.
I will get pummeled here, but I don't think that there is any place for them on boats that are moving. i do most of my night time boating at lake of the Ozarks, and between boats and lights on shore, there are alot of lights to keep track of. For safety reasons, boats should only have the red and green bow lights, and the white transom/stern light.

Differnt colors of light can not only be confusing, but the bright lights can also ruin ones night vision. One bright light will constrict the pupils so that other things in the dark cannot be seen nearly as well (walk into a dark room just after shining a flashlight in your eyes). I believe that they are a safety hazard so they should only be legal when a boat is at the dock.

Ok, flame away!
Old 02-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good point, I wouldn't say DONT use them, but, I DO believe they where initially intended for LARGE cruisers that boat a good distance offshore, not for smaller boats on small rivers and landlocked lakes. But, they do look cool and I haven't heard of anyone being charged/detained for using them, so, I guess from a "legal" standpoint they are ok. I know marine laws state you MUST have a certain number and color of lights depending on size and style of vessel, but, I couldn't find anything prohibiting any additional lights?

I do seem to remember reading somewhere [up here in Canada at least] where you weren't allowed to use lights to attract fish when fishing at night, I haven't fished in years, so, I could be wrong? I guess if there IS such a law and you where using them while fishing you could end up in trouble.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:01 AM
Registered

Default led update

trying to do a follow up for anyone that I can find on the forum asking about underwater lights.

I went with Abyss Lite and got 4 of the 1560 RGB color changing LED lights. They are on the back of the boat, one on each side of each drive. My boat is a Formula 400ss.

I can tell you that the water here at my lake is one of the dirtiest I have ever experienced... It is FAR from clear.

The lights work AWESOME so far. VERY VERY VERY bright. So bright, that they actually shine up and OUT of the water much more than I expected. I put them as low on the boat as I could. Almost all of the colors work well. Red is probably the worst, but it still works very well in my opinion.

Granted, I have not had the luxury to see how underwater lights look out in the ocean or clear water, but I am happy with what I have here on my lake, so I can only imagie that it gets MUCH better.

I will get some pics up in the Formula section next week. Heading up to the lake tonight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.