Project 38ft Scarab arneson asd6

Old 07-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by justdreamin
They are screw in type.
Those are very weird. It looks from the pic like they have the screw on balls like the 1720's but at the same time have the ASD6 aft retaining rings.??? The splines are different on the U.J. between the two but that does not mean that someone did not modify things, like modify the ASD6 socket onto the 1720 thrust tube via a custom shaft.

Regardless, they should be good for an application that can use them.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
Those are very weird. It looks from the pic like they have the screw on balls like the 1720's but at the same time have the ASD6 aft retaining rings.??? The splines are different on the U.J. between the two but that does not mean that someone did not modify things, like modify the ASD6 socket onto the 1720 thrust tube via a custom shaft.

Regardless, they should be good for an application that can use them.
dose the asd6 and 1721 inline transom housing bolt to the transom like that rick? 4 bolts thro the thrust ball socket / transom housing?

I thought the inline asd's had a ring on the out side of the transom housing where it bolted thro the transom and the old 1720's had only 4 bolts that were in the thrust ball socket / transom housing..

I'd say its a 1720 tube and housing with the an asd6 retaining ring. howard built his drives better then B/W an in brass. b/w only had the patent for the 1720, 1721 & asd6 all thats brass on the b/w in the transom housings. howard arneson built all but the non aluminum drives till twin disk took over.. he did race the 1720's in the start its all there was, he was quoted saying the biggest short coming was the u-joint and was also quoted as saying that a cv was used in its place.. the snap rings can fail in a hard impact its short coming may have also been found during the first years racing... its safe to say any thing that B/W or twin disk sell was on howards work bench at one time so there'd be old drives with parts used on newer drives that got race proven long be for the molds were made at B/W....

your drives were built between 79 and 82 after that the housing changed.. your rudder is also not like an old school 1720

there bad a$$ real slick drives.. my be good for well over 1000hp check the joint.. or just sell them to me

Last edited by tomuchstuff; 07-19-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Registered

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

the drive in the center has the same 1720 housing as you with an old style snap ring.

Last edited by tomuchstuff; 07-19-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tomuchstuff
there bad a$$ real slick drives.. my be good for well over 1000hp check the joint.. or just sell them to me
Do you have the wrench to get the aft retaining ring off? If the boat does not move soon I would be interested in parting things out.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Registered

Do you have the wrench to get the aft retaining ring off? If the boat does not move soon I would be interested in parting things out.
I wish I needed one... my drives have the old style snap ring so I do do not need the wrench like you..

I'd rather run a brass drive let me know what your thinking on a price...
Old 07-21-2010, 12:33 AM
Registered

what kinda prop is that? not a speed master is it? is there a prop adapter? whats the prop shaft spline? how long is the spline area?
Old 07-25-2010, 11:21 PM
Registered

Sorry have not had a lot of time this last week to get on here. I will check the splines and get back to you. And no I do not have a prop shaft adapter and it does not need one. I will try to get back with you soon. I have a few people interested in the boat that i think are serious but if i am still weighing out my options... shoot me an offer (pM) Thanks
Old 07-26-2010, 12:17 AM
Banned

Default Parts

more
ID BE LOOKING FOR OTER IGNITION SYSTEM BOX AND HOLE BIT, OF WHATS INCUDED, POSSIBLY ENGINE WIRING HARNESS FOR ONE 454
Old 07-30-2010, 10:23 PM
Banned

would you sell one of the ignition systems out of the boat, msd box and rv limiter etc. and those controls would match that white boat in background excellently i thought about getting them for my boat, its nust not big enough to warrant those.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Would be sad if the boat doesn't sell intact. That's a great old school boat IMO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.