Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

black hawk drives were an experiment by merc many yrs ago
precursor to modern bravo drives
they are durable and can handle up to about 500 hp
give or take the driver
and on a small light boat......... go for it
light yrs over the alpha you have at present
This is plain wrong!!!! I did A LOT of test driving on the hawk and the bravo had been out for a long while before the hawk was even thought of. They had many teething problems when first started testing had upper gear case floor issues etc. then had some gear probs then when they got that fixed and it became reliable it started literally burning the blades off the props due to hard water and cavitation being a surface drive. Most of our testing was done in an 89 242ls formula with a 502 mag mpi and it was a riot. Fastest 24 formula ive seen lol that hawk picked up a big chunk on that boat. Also the factory guys would bring a Pachanga and a 25 Talon over from time to time outfitted with hawks. The Talon was my favorite.

Now with that being said by the time it was all said and done yes it was a good drive id love to have a couple around for future projects and ideas I have. Just don't want the wrong info out there. Also they were good for between 500-600 hp if you weren't flying the boat a lot. The shock loads from loading and unloading at WOT in that power range could do some serious damage to a hawk. Anything lower than that was gravy though. They are very cool and fun drives though. Like I said id love to have a couple. So in a light boat go for it.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:39 AM
Registered

To clarify when it would BURN the blades off it was cavitation burns at the base of the blades and would pit and literally water blast the blade at the base and sling them off. I was one of the first to have this happen lol. I changed at least two or three sets in the water hoping to not drop anything in the water lol.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

^^^^^^ High HP Bravo III boats have also seen cavitation burns on the prop blades.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:03 PM
Registered

Yup that they have not near to the extreme that the hawk did but still do.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm running a 22 talon with apx. 750 hp ,naturally aspirated 588 cid. Bravo drive and a minus two lower imco.I would love a Blackhawk and I run on inland waters not very rough water . Do you think it would live or die quickly ? Running around 115 mph with current setup . hf...
Old 04-22-2017, 08:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gh700xx
This is plain wrong!!!! I did A LOT of test driving on the hawk and the bravo had been out for a long while before the hawk was even thought of. They had many teething problems when first started testing had upper gear case floor issues etc. then had some gear probs then when they got that fixed and it became reliable it started literally burning the blades off the props due to hard water and cavitation being a surface drive. Most of our testing was done in an 89 242ls formula with a 502 mag mpi and it was a riot. Fastest 24 formula ive seen lol that hawk picked up a big chunk on that boat. Also the factory guys would bring a Pachanga and a 25 Talon over from time to time outfitted with hawks. The Talon was my favorite.

Now with that being said by the time it was all said and done yes it was a good drive id love to have a couple around for future projects and ideas I have. Just don't want the wrong info out there. Also they were good for between 500-600 hp if you weren't flying the boat a lot. The shock loads from loading and unloading at WOT in that power range could do some serious damage to a hawk. Anything lower than that was gravy though. They are very cool and fun drives though. Like I said id love to have a couple. So in a light boat go for it.
Cool stuff. Did you every have anything to do with the Scarab P-29 with the Blackhawks?
Old 10-31-2017, 05:22 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone with a Blackhawk they do not need?
Old 11-04-2017, 06:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by victorlemongello
if the drives are still available, or any cases please call 732-372-1904.
A couple on here in the pics
https://m.facebook.com/groups/352710728253926?view=permalink&id=743088755882786
Old 11-04-2017, 06:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN
Anyone with a Blackhawk they do not need?
Check link I just shared above
Old 11-04-2017, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 374 Likes on 140 Posts

I still have my KILO drive from the 26 Scarab with extra gear sets and shafts both gear ratio's 1.50 & 1.36 the water pickup was deleted by Merc. and the skeg was blueprinted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.