New CMI headers for 525 and ? >

New CMI headers for 525 and ?

Notices

New CMI headers for 525 and ?

Old 04-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
So you know a secret to making 525 headers last longer but you're not telling. What if we all stop sharing advice here?
Well.. it's not "a" or "one" single secret, it's a combination of things. Some of them are already known and discussed in various threads. Some are more on the "informal", undocumented areas. If some one tells me something in confidence, and request not go out in the public, it will stay with in confidence. There area lot if things to take into concidiration to add longitivity to "any" header. I am not in the liberty to devolge everything I learned through my own headaches, but here is a few items.
Heat is a major factor. Water preassure alone will not help you to know everything that's going on with the cooling system. So the problem... Most manufactureres and Merc, have "preassure" sensing systems like "vesselview". No "flow" meter. The volume/flow meter systems are just coming into the market. You need to monitor both.
Draining and flushing. I would think everyone flushes the motors after salt water use. However, few actually drains the headers and keep them dry after use. They should be drained. There are some aftermarket system to drain the headers.
Installation; assumingly motors are rigged as per specs, but.
due to different set up. (IE; staggered systems) port motor VS starboard may get more reversion then the other.
Storage, no matter where but especially winter. You WILL get condensation. Recommendation, have a $10 fan in the bilge keep the system from condensation. Extending header and motor life.
Engine shut off after use.; many, just shut off once at the docks or ramps. Run the motors for a few minutes, "dry out" the headers, let them cool off before shutting motors off. Idle for a few minutes.
Compression testing. Test the motors frequently before major demage occurs.
Rubber hose / tip connection to tail pipe and transom tips. Keep it as short as possible and as stiff as possible. Viboration and movement of headers. A complicated thing, so just make the system "stiff".

To "share" a few. There is more.
All I will say further, is that there is a reason for Merc. bulletins and header re-designs.
I monitored and did a lot of things, but not everyting. Now I will monitor and do pretty much EVERYTHING.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 606 Likes on 275 Posts

I thought you had the Holy Grail on 525 headers. Good luck with the sale; The price is right.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Registered

I thought you had the Holy Grail on 525 headers. Good luck with the sale; The price is right.
LOL.. yeaaah.. price is right, but still got them. Some one grab these, I need to get the right set.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
Well.. it's not "a" or "one" single secret, it's a combination of things. Some of them are already known and discussed in various threads. Some are more on the "informal", undocumented areas. If some one tells me something in confidence, and request not go out in the public, it will stay with in confidence. There area lot if things to take into concidiration to add longitivity to "any" header. I am not in the liberty to devolge everything I learned through my own headaches, but here is a few items.
Heat is a major factor. Water preassure alone will not help you to know everything that's going on with the cooling system. So the problem... Most manufactureres and Merc, have "preassure" sensing systems like "vesselview". No "flow" meter. The volume/flow meter systems are just coming into the market. You need to monitor both.
Draining and flushing. I would think everyone flushes the motors after salt water use. However, few actually drains the headers and keep them dry after use. They should be drained. There are some aftermarket system to drain the headers.
Installation; assumingly motors are rigged as per specs, but.
due to different set up. (IE; staggered systems) port motor VS starboard may get more reversion then the other.
Storage, no matter where but especially winter. You WILL get condensation. Recommendation, have a $10 fan in the bilge keep the system from condensation. Extending header and motor life.
Engine shut off after use.; many, just shut off once at the docks or ramps. Run the motors for a few minutes, "dry out" the headers, let them cool off before shutting motors off. Idle for a few minutes.
Compression testing. Test the motors frequently before major demage occurs.
Rubber hose / tip connection to tail pipe and transom tips. Keep it as short as possible and as stiff as possible. Viboration and movement of headers. A complicated thing, so just make the system "stiff".

To "share" a few. There is more.
All I will say further, is that there is a reason for Merc. bulletins and header re-designs.
I monitored and did a lot of things, but not everyting. Now I will monitor and do pretty much EVERYTHING.
Can you recommend a mfg or aftermarket kit for the header drains? i can't locate a kit. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Redmen666
Can you recommend a mfg or aftermarket kit for the header drains? i can't locate a kit. Thanks.
I dont have any specific recommendation. Contact some dealers or some HP part distributors.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

So you know a secret to making 525 headers last longer but you're not telling. What if we all stop sharing advice here?
Carl, the only to make them last long is,

a) Dont use yout boat

b) take them off and put them on a shelf and install a set of stellings
Old 04-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Registered

Ttt
Old 04-15-2011, 08:04 AM
Registered

TTT.
Hmmm.. People send E-mails or call they want them, then vanish..

OK who really want these?
Old 04-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headers

Im interested in headers have a customer that needs them please give me a call 203 912 7581

thanx Rich Northeast Performance
Old 05-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Northeast Marine
Im interested in headers have a customer that needs them please give me a call 203 912 7581

thanx Rich Northeast Performance
Old age must be getting to me. I think we talked, did you get what you were looking for? Mine are still in my living room and I need to get them out of here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.