Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Swap Shop (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/swap-shop-253/)
-   -   WTB Square port 990 BBC Head (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/swap-shop/258583-wtb-square-port-990-bbc-head.html)

shrue 07-21-2011 07:24 PM

WTB Square port 990 BBC Head

I need a 990 BBC GM square port head. Preferably just a casting but I will consider a complete head or heads if the price is right. I blew a head gasket between 2 cylinders and it would be really hard to repair. Alternatively, I will sell my 1 good head if I can't find a mate to it. Let me know what you have.

kneeslider74 07-21-2011 10:17 PM

I have a pair with roller rockers, if you can,t find a single. [email protected]

Rookie 07-21-2011 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by shrue (Post 3458969)
I need a 990 BBC GM square port head. Preferably just a casting but I will consider a complete head or heads if the price is right. I blew a head gasket between 2 cylinders and it would be really hard to repair. Alternatively, I will sell my 1 good head if I can't find a mate to it. Let me know what you have.

Just throwing this out there, but I did the same thing a few years ago and my machine shop welded up and resurfaced my head for about $140 3day turnaround.

shrue 07-22-2011 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by kneeslider74 (Post 3459151)
I have a pair with roller rockers, if you can,t find a single. [email protected]

I'll give this a few days to see if I can come up with a single, but I'll keep this in mind. Can you PM me how much you want for the pair? Thanks!!

shrue 07-22-2011 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Rookie (Post 3459213)
Just throwing this out there, but I did the same thing a few years ago and my machine shop welded up and resurfaced my head for about $140 3day turnaround.

This head has a section burned out between 2 cylinders... my engine shop didn't think it could be repaired but maybe I should get a second opinion it sound like? Is there a place you recommend that can do this.. sounds like maybe the guy you used? Thanks for the help.. this may save me some bucks!!

Rookie 07-22-2011 01:01 PM

I had a 5/16" square blown between mine. Gasket blew at 5300RPM and just ate the steel away. Weird thing is that the block had no damage. I would call around, not every shop will do the repair. I think you need to heat the head up and then weld with a high nickel content rod.

shrue 07-22-2011 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rookie (Post 3459605)
I had a 5/16" square blown between mine. Gasket blew at 5300RPM and just ate the steel away. Weird thing is that the block had no damage. I would call around, not every shop will do the repair. I think you need to heat the head up and then weld with a high nickel content rod.

Sounds just like mine... the head casting has a 1" section eaten between the chambers but the block was not touched!! I'll check around for a repair shop that can do this... thanks, this could save me a lot of time and money if I can get this done.