Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Registered
    My Boats:
    1988 Cigarette Top Gun

WTB Square port 990 BBC Head

I need a 990 BBC GM square port head. Preferably just a casting but I will consider a complete head or heads if the price is right. I blew a head gasket between 2 cylinders and it would be really hard to repair. Alternatively, I will sell my 1 good head if I can't find a mate to it. Let me know what you have.

Registered
    My Boats:
    1984 Excalibur Cat
    I have a pair with roller rockers, if you can,t find a single. al_scuba@hotmail.com

Platinum Member Platinum Member Rookie's Avatar
    My Boats:
    30 Scarab Panther
    Quote Originally Posted by shrue View Post
    I need a 990 BBC GM square port head. Preferably just a casting but I will consider a complete head or heads if the price is right. I blew a head gasket between 2 cylinders and it would be really hard to repair. Alternatively, I will sell my 1 good head if I can't find a mate to it. Let me know what you have.
    Just throwing this out there, but I did the same thing a few years ago and my machine shop welded up and resurfaced my head for about $140 3day turnaround.
    No matter how pretty she is, there is a guy who is sick of her S#!t

Registered
    My Boats:
    1988 Cigarette Top Gun
    Quote Originally Posted by kneeslider74 View Post
    I have a pair with roller rockers, if you can,t find a single. al_scuba@hotmail.com
    I'll give this a few days to see if I can come up with a single, but I'll keep this in mind. Can you PM me how much you want for the pair? Thanks!!

Registered
    My Boats:
    1988 Cigarette Top Gun
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
    Just throwing this out there, but I did the same thing a few years ago and my machine shop welded up and resurfaced my head for about $140 3day turnaround.
    This head has a section burned out between 2 cylinders... my engine shop didn't think it could be repaired but maybe I should get a second opinion it sound like? Is there a place you recommend that can do this.. sounds like maybe the guy you used? Thanks for the help.. this may save me some bucks!!

Platinum Member Platinum Member Rookie's Avatar
    My Boats:
    30 Scarab Panther
    I had a 5/16" square blown between mine. Gasket blew at 5300RPM and just ate the steel away. Weird thing is that the block had no damage. I would call around, not every shop will do the repair. I think you need to heat the head up and then weld with a high nickel content rod.
    No matter how pretty she is, there is a guy who is sick of her S#!t

Registered
    My Boats:
    1988 Cigarette Top Gun
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
    I had a 5/16" square blown between mine. Gasket blew at 5300RPM and just ate the steel away. Weird thing is that the block had no damage. I would call around, not every shop will do the repair. I think you need to heat the head up and then weld with a high nickel content rod.
    Sounds just like mine... the head casting has a 1" section eaten between the chambers but the block was not touched!! I'll check around for a repair shop that can do this... thanks, this could save me a lot of time and money if I can get this done.