Notices

548 ci motors

Old 12-18-2016, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
It's pretty obvious your very meticulous. You must have a lot of time into them. Look great!!!
Yup, I don`t cut corners and I didn`t build em with selling in mind. Just that`s the way it turned out.
I spent every weekend in the garage last winter meticulously putting everything together with Mild Thunder.

As an example, I had perfectly good Scorpion rockers and swapped those out for the offset Crowers to get a better valve pattern.
No crappy assembly or junk parts here.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Yup, I don`t cut corners and I didn`t build em with selling in mind. Just that`s the way it turned out.
I spent every weekend in the garage last winter meticulously putting everything together with Mild Thunder.

As an example, I had perfectly good Scorpion rockers and swapped those out for the offset Crowers to get a better valve pattern.

You know you don't here of offset rockers that often it doesn't seem anyway. I think it's a great way to help achieve good valvetrain alignment. Were you able to get away with same amount of offset on the ones that were off? Again that's awesome you did that. Any problems with studs breaking since change? Just curious I read somewhere a while back studs snapping but I think it was the particular brand of offset rocker causing the problem.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:34 PM
Registered

When I say offset , I mean the backset ..
When installing a .100" long valve, the rocker arm
tip must be backed up .050" to insure centerline
contact at half lift. Crower offsets the rocker
stud hole in the trunnion, pulling the rocker
tip back into correct alignment with the valve
stem. Re-establishing correct
geometry reduces valve guide wear and promotes
more accurate valve timing.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL

Those look like aluminum heads and different oil filter housings in that pic?
Old 12-18-2016, 10:20 PM
Registered

Joe`s engine.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice motors and great deal . But I do have a question . It looks like no intercoolers. Why and I may be wrong but I thought I always heard 5 to 6 lbs boost with no cooler or8 to 9 with, before needing race gas. Just curious.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff s
Nice motors and great deal . But I do have a question . It looks like no intercoolers. Why and I may be wrong but I thought I always heard 5 to 6 lbs boost with no cooler or8 to 9 with, before needing race gas. Just curious.
You were mis informed.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 596 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
You were mis informed.
So what is the consensus of non inter cooled over inter cooled?

You can get away with out inter cool most of the time operating in a cool dry atmosphere and be ahead of the game because of lack of restrictions from the inter cooler?
Old 12-19-2016, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
So what is the consensus of non inter cooled over inter cooled?

You can get away with out inter cool most of the time operating in a cool dry atmosphere and be ahead of the game because of lack of restrictions from the inter cooler?
I think its application specific. I have ran 7lbs boost with 9:1 static and no intercooler without an issue. Every setup is different though as far as what it can handle boost wise before detonation. The main thing is the tune. An intercooled setup wont last if the tune is off either. Other things are blower size, blower style, cam, spark plug setup, coolant temp, and a bunch of things.

Icdeppls engines listed here, had a wot intake air temp of around 135-140* . That isnt very hot.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:52 PM
Registered

I don`t really believe in the marketing and hype of intercooling in a carb set up where most of the cooling done by the fuel.
Intake temps run cool enough for my application.
The tune is key for longevity , that`s the reason I had EGT, AFRs , knock sensors , intake temp, and 3D timing map set up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.