Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
4x4 truck or 2x4 truck to pull with????????? >

4x4 truck or 2x4 truck to pull with?????????

Notices

4x4 truck or 2x4 truck to pull with?????????

Old 05-26-2005, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 truck or 2x4 truck to pull with?????????

Ok so im like allot of people looking at a new truck. Now not to beet a dead crownline, I think I have the type narrowed down. It will be a GMC duramax 4-door the question is straight side or dually, and the real question I have is do I need a 4x4 or a 2x4. Id love a 4-door dually 2x4 for looks but im questioning the pulling the boat up the ramp out of the water issue? Currently I have a escalade EXT truck which is all wheel drive and pulls ok at 8 miles to gallon with my 27 eliminator daytona cat wrapped out on every hill, and ive had lifted trucks. So I ask the group 2 or 4 wheel drive????
And yes I saw (offshoredrillins) truck and love it.
Attached Thumbnails 4x4 truck or 2x4 truck to pull with?????????-duallytruck.jpg   4x4 truck or 2x4 truck to pull with?????????-meandtheboat2.jpg  
Old 05-26-2005, 02:29 PM
Registered

Default Re: 4x4 truck or 2x4 truck to pull with?????????

Well mine is 4x4, but I haven't ever had to use it to get the boat out.....YET..... By the way boat is a 28 eliminator daytona with twins, truck is an F350 4x4 dooley. But you know what they say the one time you need 4 wheel drive it has paid for itself. Now i wouldn't own a truck that isn't 4x4 but that is just me, besides it isn't that much more for 4x4 is it, plus the miliage isn't that bad is it, I mean we are talking about trucks. Heck mine with a diesel and 4.30 gears is getting 16mpg. I think yours will be around 18 or better...Well i think that is what my buddies durmax 4x4 dooley is getting, well those are minus the boats.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

We go over this about every 8 weeks. Do a search. You will find about 4 out of 5 prefer the 4x4. It may cost a bit more up front and in maintenance, but its PRICELESS when you NEED it.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
We go over this about every 8 weeks. Do a search. You will find about 4 out of 5 prefer the 4x4. It may cost a bit more up front and in maintenance, but its PRICELESS when you NEED it.
Took the words right out of my mouth. I was getting ready to reply with the EXACT same thing.

Buck
Old 05-26-2005, 08:23 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My old Ford had locking hubs, if ramp wasn't super steep or wet it was still nice to drop the case into low and not lock the hubs - get the gears down and not wear the front end out turning on dry pavement. New Fords are auto lock, at least the wife can twist a switch on the dash when its snow'n.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:32 PM
Registered

I won't own another truck that's not 4x4, unless it's some old hot rod style deal, but I digress. That one time that you can't get out of the water and there is a line at the ramp and people are pissed off, the 4x4 just paid for itself. I will also never own another dually. They pull nice, look cool, but just suck to drive around daily. If you just leave it hooked up to the boat that's one thing, but other than that, you're always worried about fenders, extra tires, parking lots, you name it, plus you can't run it through the car wash.

I had a dually, never again. From here on out: Crew cab, 4x4 long bed Duramax with the Allison.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:24 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jordy
I won't own another truck that's not 4x4, unless it's some old hot rod style deal, but I digress. That one time that you can't get out of the water and there is a line at the ramp and people are pissed off, the 4x4 just paid for itself. I will also never own another dually. ..............
I had a dually, never again. From here on out: Crew cab, 4x4 long bed Duramax with the Allison.

Ours is my wifes daily driver, I wanted diesel and dually but she'd go berzerk with a diesel and dually will not fit in garage.
besides, boat and trailer is less than 9k lbs and the power is fine.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:20 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same trcuk but with the duramax and ally trans as offshore 2wd lowered (6/8)crew dually and have pulled some nasty ramps on texoma and lewisville along with a few ramps in florida 10th street and the one on longboat key with no troubles.

Last edited by Hard On; 05-27-2005 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We ramp the 39 cat with a Ford DRW,CC, Diesel 2 x 4. Boat and trailer are north of 17,000 lbs. No Issues. We always attract a crowd of the 17-23 footer rampers comprised of ranger bass boaters etc They are always impressed with the ease of loading and pulling her out. Even the water craft guys come to watch.

Occassionally the rear tires have actaully been in the water but have not slipped yet. We have been lucky.

We are looking at another truck and it will be a 4 x4 automatic with a 410 rear end. I know there will be that one time when there will be algae, oil, muck and dust on the ramp and it will be a mess.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:49 AM
Registered

Ok, good info. I think the not running it at the car wash does it for me. no dually and yeah in MO at LOTO id rather not have the Bass Masters laughing the one day my truck wont make it up the hill, if i choose to use the Hurricane deck bridge near the stip club. This is a hangout for Bass masters. So ill look into the crew cab straight side 4x4. Thanks oh and I did search but didnt find just what i wanted to hear.

Quick Reply: 4x4 truck or 2x4 truck to pull with?????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.