Notices

Best Trailer Tires

Old 10-14-2011, 05:40 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mopower
Goodyear Marathons.
Got them on my enclosed car carrier and boat trailer and never a problem. One small bit of advice...cover the tires during the off season. UV rays play hell on ANY rubber
Mine are about 3 years old and allready seeing some cracking in the side wall,and its inside my shop most of the time.

This is what came on my Myco and I put the same back on it,Goodyear Wrangler HT 235/75R16. first set started failing at 7 years old.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Attached Thumbnails Best Trailer Tires-pollishing-my-aluminum-myco-10-12-11.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mich, xps RIB pretty hard to beat those, pricey but great performance.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Registered

What was stated earlier is correct, there are no radial trailer tires currently made in the USA. The only bias ply ST tire made in the US was Titan and I believe they still are but would have to check. Everything changes in the trailer tire world it seems.

Basically, it seems to me that the 2 real areas where radial tires are weak is their sidewall strength and they like to sway. Bias ply tires are actually a much better choice since their characteristics of tough sidewalls and their ability to follow without sway are great attributes. Sure, radial trailer tires will give an incremental gas mileage improvement and should wear better but the longer wear never occurs because the first time a radial trailer tire is curbed, and yes trailer tires are curbed frequently, the tire is set up for failure.

On travel trailer forums the ST tire questions and threads are legion so tune into a travel trailer site like RV.net and you can learn more about trailer tires than you ever wanted to know! My Eagle trailer has Goodyear Marathons from the factory but I'm pretty sure that I'm going to use Titan bias ply made in the USA when the time comes.

I ordered my equipment trailer with bias ply tires and although they are a crap Chinese tire (Taskmaster) that trailer follows my truck like it's on rails. The stability of those bias tires is amazing.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We maufacture trailers and use Good Year Marathons exclusively. Never have had a problem that wasn't operator error.

Check your pressures, inspect your tires for damage, don't overload them and keep in mind that the fact that a 10 year old tire has "plenty of tread" doesn't mean the tire is OK. Most trailers will never wear the tread out, They do not get that many miles.

All tires today have a date code molded into the sidewall.

Rich
Old 10-15-2011, 09:57 AM
Registered

Goodyear Marathons all the way. I am getting ready to finally replace mine this winter. Tread is near new, but they are starting to get dry rotted . The trailer is a 2000 model year, so the tires are almost 12 years old and has never been garage kept.. Jeff Wurl
Old 10-16-2011, 09:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sbracing
We maufacture trailers and use Good Year Marathons exclusively. Never have had a problem that wasn't operator error.

Check your pressures, inspect your tires for damage, don't overload them and keep in mind that the fact that a 10 year old tire has "plenty of tread" doesn't mean the tire is OK. Most trailers will never wear the tread out, They do not get that many miles.

All tires today have a date code molded into the sidewall.

Rich

I have learned to watch the date. I needed new tire. Dealer had to make a lot of calls to find one. When I went to pick up tire and checked date. Tire was already 3 years old. I did not accept tire and had them get me another one.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Registered

This is a joke right ??? Goodyear marathon ??? Do a web search or even better Tirerack .com and see endless number of people have had them come apart with just a few miles and even come apart parked in driveway . From what I have read since Goodyear shipped all tire MFG to china that had nothing but issues . Do your homework before you trade your hard earned money for a set of tires that more than likely will come apart and maybe tear up your hull or worse put you in a Ditch ?
Old 10-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Marathons are junk, lost them on two different boat trailers this year. One was my new Nautique 4 months old. No operator error here. Surely a better trailer tire can be made than what's out there.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Registered

Default trailer tires

Had Carlilses and had to replace after just two yrs for really bad sidewall checking. loving the marathons. I swear they ride better
Old 10-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by KEVLARKAT32
This is a joke right ??? Goodyear marathon ??? Do a web search or even better Tirerack .com and see endless number of people have had them come apart with just a few miles and even come apart parked in driveway . From what I have read since Goodyear shipped all tire MFG to china that had nothing but issues . Do your homework before you trade your hard earned money for a set of tires that more than likely will come apart and maybe tear up your hull or worse put you in a Ditch ?

My local tire guy told me that the Goodyear Marathons are now made back in the states.

Quick Reply: Best Trailer Tires

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.