Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Towing with new 2005 Dodge Cummins >

Towing with new 2005 Dodge Cummins

Notices

Towing with new 2005 Dodge Cummins

Old 07-21-2005, 05:32 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Towing with new 2005 Dodge Cummins

"Where's the beef?"

I was VERY surprised that I really liked the truck upon leaving the dealer (w/o towing). The interior was almost as comfortable as the GM (this truck had cloth interior, I would have it swapped to leather to buy). It had all the interior room of the Ford and much more comfortable. It drove and rode well when not towing. I took it for an extended test drive, and towed my boat with it. WHOAH! What happened to the HP? Who forgot to add the Torque? I don't feel that it had any more power than my 8.1L Gas 2500 Avalanche. It is a heavier truck, and the frame and construction feel solid. However, the truck clunked and grunted the whole time! The transmission was anything but smooth, and the poor Cummins had to rev almost up to redline to back the boat slightly uphill into my backyard! My Avalanche 2500 has TONS more grunt, and I did a test of dead stop(light) to a same set point going slight uphill, in a comparison of my AV to the Dodge, and I think the AV pulls the Dodge! What's up with that?

The Dodge dealer near my house has powertrain "Warranty for Life." Its impressive to think I would never have to worry about a powertrain breakdown not being covered, but I just could not justify this truck as is.

How much does this thing wake up with an Intake, Exhaust, and Chip Upgrade? I hope its SIGNIFICANT, otherwise, Dodge is seriously lagging, literally.

It does have some of the best looks of any of the trucks available though. This was an SLT in all black, with the sport appearance package, to have no chrome, everything blacked out.
Attached Thumbnails Towing with new 2005 Dodge Cummins-dsc01373.jpg   Towing with new 2005 Dodge Cummins-dsc01375.jpg  

Last edited by Sydwayz; 07-21-2005 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:35 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Default Re: Towing with new 2005 Dodge Cummins

This used 2004 Powerstoke towed MUCH better a couple weeks ago:
Attached Thumbnails Towing with new 2005 Dodge Cummins-dsc01010.jpg  
Old 07-21-2005, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I borrowed a 1998 and it had plenty of grunt but the brakes were crap. My expedition stops better. I think I have looked at the same 2004 Ford, I live off davis ford road in manassas.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:40 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Sonicator, I took that Ford home from Cowles in Woodbridge on Memorial Day Weekend for a couple hours. That truck had some issues. The stereo is all dorked up due to some removed aftermarket equipment, and for the first 50 feet from a dead stop, that truck was a dog. The orange was also a little too much orange. Nice truck otherwise.

We have crossed paths before. I live not far from the Gov't Center, and have seen you filling up at the 7-11/Citgo on PWC Pkwy. I used to have a 26' Sonic.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about a 2005, but my father has a 2001 with the HO and 6 speed manual, extended cab 4X4 dually. His has the biggest Banks kit they make for it (don't remember what the kit is called). The difference is substantial, you wouldn't believe it. His will absolutely run away from my stock powerstroke, towing or empty. Example:He has a 4200 pound Lance slide in camper. With it loaded on the truck, following my sister to Nags Head, he routinely pulled away from my sisters BMW 323. Messing around with my brother in law, who was driving, the Dodge would just walk it. You would be very happy with it if it had something like this Banks kit. One thing though, the truck only gets 14 MPG with this kit.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fact has it, if you're buying a Diesel truck to get more towing power, you're heading in the wrong dirrection. Gas engines will always out tow a diesel. That's why your boat has Chevy BB Gas engines. But, tow that same boat across country with the diesel (Dodge, Chevy, etc) and your wallet will feel a lot fatter at the end of the trip.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Brian- try the 5" exhaust kit, cool air box and the bully dog controller or edge juice w/ attitude (just came out). it is an unbelievable difference.... you won't be sorry. i've owned powerstrokes and duramax diesels and have never felt anything like it.

in fact, i'm selling my '03 Dodge 3500 HO Cummins w/ 6 speed and i'm buying the exact same truck in an '05 w/ leather and silver exterior instead of cloth and white exterior. see the ad here: HERE

the new edge juice w/ attitude takes the new cummins from 287.8HP to 410.4HP and 538.0 ft.lbs to 786.3!!!

Chad

Last edited by jawbreakerkid; 07-22-2005 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:01 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Hey..I know, just buy the Dam Ford and not worry about all the aftermarket stuff
Of courses I have no room to talk, I tow with a gas Chevy
Old 07-22-2005, 01:12 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Thanks Chad, that is exactly the info I wanted to hear. I am still very surpised at how much I liked the Dodge. I would probably do all those upgrades to any diesel that I purchase, so knowing they REALLY wake the Dodge up is cool. Too bad your rig is not leather and an automatic! I have my heart set on black or charcoal anyhow.

Russ, as for the Ford, I just don't like them as much; engine, interior, comfort, amenities etc.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Brian-

No problem, any time. I'm not totally sold on Dodge's automatic trans. They have had so many problems with them that I'm still a bit gun shy. I certainly wish you could put an Allison trans. in them. There are a few aftermarket companies out there that are making auto trans. to mate to the modified Cummins. Supposedly they have had good luck with them.

Good luck on your search. Believe it or not, I'm a GM guy at heart.

Chad

Quick Reply: Towing with new 2005 Dodge Cummins

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.