Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Exhaust temps w/Edge chip & Duramax >

Exhaust temps w/Edge chip & Duramax

Notices

Exhaust temps w/Edge chip & Duramax

Old 08-12-2005, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 3,018 Likes on 987 Posts
Default Exhaust temps w/Edge chip & Duramax

I've heard all different answers. So what's the deal?? When towing the cig up hill's the exhaust temp gets to about 1400. Is this too much? At what point does it start to melt the turbo? Will it lower the tempt to turn the chip off? Who knows these things???
Old 08-12-2005, 11:32 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Exhaust temps w/Edge chip & Duramax

LB7 or LLY
Old 08-13-2005, 07:43 AM
Registered

I have the Banks system with a manual dial that advances the performance from 1-6, 6 being the highest. I have to turn the system down to the 1 setting while towing. The exhaust gas temp increases dramatically and I get a High Rail Pressure reading if I don't do that. It could cause damage if I would leave it higher than the number 1 setting. Does the Edge system say anything about that?
Originally Posted by thisistank
I've heard all different answers. So what's the deal?? When towing the cig up hill's the exhaust temp gets to about 1400. Is this too much? At what point does it start to melt the turbo? Will it lower the tempt to turn the chip off? Who knows these things???
Old 08-13-2005, 08:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I had the same chip, it definatly helps with an exhust, cat back will reduce 100 plus degrees and turbo back will be approx 140-150 and cool duals another 20 or so. An aftermarket air intake like AFE proguard is another example of more air in and getting more air out. Making more hp which is less restriction and cooler temps. Tow in the middle setting, or if Attitude no more than level 3, even when towing my 4300 I rarely saw 1300 up big hills. 1350 is max for anything longer than 15 seconds, or you will be frying something. Also the Attitude is very conservative and alot depends where you set the themometer, pre or post turbo. Good luck. Jeff
Old 08-13-2005, 04:35 PM
Registered

1400 degrees is too hot from my understanding..... I think 1250 is as high as you want for an extended period of time (ie- towing a trailer up a hill). You definently need an exhaust system with any diesel power adder to keep temps down.

I have an 01 duramax with the old Edge "hot" Juice (125hp) that I installed along with an AFE intake and gages a few years and 40k miles ago. With the stock exhaust, it would shoot straigt toward 1400 degress without a load. With a cheap 4" to 5" exhaust with flow-through muffler, it would stay around 1250 without a load, but towing anything more than about 6000lbs I had to go back to level 1 or 2 (60-75hp) to keep the temps around 1250 degrees.

After a few months, I removed the muffler completely and replaced it with a short piece of flex pipe. Ever since then, I leave it on level 4 (125hp) without a load and level 3 (90hp) with a load. Even towing a 12500lbs boat that is 13'+ tall (see pic), you have to try real hard to get to 1250 degrees. I can tow this boat well over 80mph.

As for noise.... I installed a turn-out on the tip of the exhaust that faces towards the rear of the truck and it is actually quieter inside than it was before with the muffler. On the outside it is a different story!
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust temps w/Edge chip & Duramax-ninav.jpg  
Old 08-13-2005, 04:42 PM
Registered

Thanks for the advise guys. I guess I should've included the fact that it has a full Banks Exhaust kit and K&N filter. I tow all the time in the "TOW" mode. I guess I'll just turn it completely off when I'm towing from now on.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The book said that you should not tow anything over 6000lbs on the second setting. I have been towing my 30 Cig on the 1st level have the gauge set at 1350 (stock) no problems so-far.
Good Luck
Old 08-13-2005, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Somethings not right. Your system sounds like there is not enough flow going through it. Possibly a pluged kitty(caddlicconverter) Try as an experiment, take the kitty and muffler off and put a straight pipe in, see if your temps dont drop another 100-200 degrees . Good luck
Old 08-13-2005, 07:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ptufaro
The book said that you should not tow anything over 6000lbs on the second setting. I have been towing my 30 Cig on the 1st level have the gauge set at 1350 (stock) no problems so-far.
Good Luck
Hmmmm, well considering I'm double that...Maybe that's the problem!!

Jassman, thanks I'll fiddle with it and see. The whole system was already installed when I bought the truck (the edge, banks, k&n etc.) The temp gauge is drilled prior to the exhaust where the book says to do so I believe.