Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Chevy 3500HD diesel vs Ford 350 diesel >

Chevy 3500HD diesel vs Ford 350 diesel

Notices

Chevy 3500HD diesel vs Ford 350 diesel

Old 09-25-2005, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Chevy 3500HD diesel vs Ford 350 diesel

both being crew cabs, which truck would you buy and why
Old 09-25-2005, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Chevy 3500HD diesel vs Ford 350 diesel

The Ford is a heavier duty truck,and I like the looks, though there are complaints about the interior being cheap and uncomfortable in comparison to the GM.

The 6.0? well, you either get a good one or a bad one!

spend some time on the Ford truck forums and you'll see what I mean about problem laden powertarains.

The GM rides and handles better. The back of the cab is bigger/more comfortable.
The Duramax is the quietest of the 2, and has a much better reliability record.

But the GM not rated for as much rear axle or towing wieght.

it's a bit of a toss...if you're not maxing the GVW's of the GM, and are going to drive it daily...
give me dependability, ride and handling every day of the week!

GM
Old 09-25-2005, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

its to tow a 357 formula, rather heavy, but also a daily driver
Old 09-25-2005, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ford always rates things a little higher if chevy holds 26 gallons of gas ford will hold 27 if bed is 6.6 feet fords is 6.8 the point is what ever chevy does ford has to be alittle bigger, longer, deeper ,higher my bet is the gm will tow as much as the ford because stock for stock the lly gm motor has more power and i would take the allison trans it is much better than the fords
Old 09-25-2005, 07:33 PM
Registered

Personally like the ford,,the powerstroke has been around in one size or another alot longer than the duramax,,the ford styling has changed less(keeps the value up) and resale (at least in Fl.) is alot better than the G.M.

Just my humble opinion,,,everyone has one
Old 09-26-2005, 08:10 AM
Registered

I had the same question a year ago. I had a 2000 Dodge 3500 Quad cab, had great luck with it. Wanted a full back seat, this time. Was not happy with the back seat room of the new Dodge. Ford, and Chevy had the most room. The choice was Ford, or Chevy for me. The only reason I ended up with the Ford, is the deal I got from a local dealer, who happened to have one on the lot that had everything I wanted. I do not think one will go wrong with either one. So far My Ford is doing fine, pretty happy with it.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:30 AM
jtmiller02

1 if you haven't driven both, go try them before you even think about outside opinions. 2nd check out current deals, and if you like both trucks find a good dealer for each one and see who makes the best deals. Right now everyone is giving huge discounts but that doesn't mean you won't save big on one truck over the other.

I had a ford and my brother had a 2500 GMC,I found a killer deal on a truck that was a year old and new condition. My brother on the other hand with my help shopped around at the right time and found a left over after the next years trucks started to arrive. He managed over $10k off sticker and that was before any of the employee price or insane rebates. The key is to find a dealer that wants to sell volume and not waste your time. Its a buyers market right now!

I like a lot of things about both trucks, and as far as I'm concerned the best way to approach it is by searching online to find the dealers who have what you want then asking them all to make you their best offers, then see who wants to play the game.

Old 09-26-2005, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Slick02
Personally like the ford,,the powerstroke has been around in one size or another alot longer than the duramax,,the ford styling has changed less(keeps the value up) and resale (at least in Fl.) is alot better than the G.M.

Just my humble opinion,,,everyone has one
Izusu has been building diesels for a long, long time.

The worst thing to be said for the Duramax is that the bosch injectors are a little too sensative to the trashy diesel fuel we have here. Even so, the % of owners with injector issues is very, very low.

The 6.0 Navistar "Powerstroke" shares very little with the old 7.3 Don't base your reliability expectations on the former 7.3 The 6.0 has been FAR more problem laden since it's introduction than the Duramax. Leaks, drips, codes, bad PCM's, head gaskets, cracked heads, ect. Ford has bought back thousands 6.0 of trucks over the last couple years...and just as many others are living with downtime nightmares.

I like the Ford also, but I'm not willing to take that big a gamble on getting a good one!

Hit the brand specific diesel forums for some insight!

Last edited by Rippem; 09-26-2005 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boomer, New 6 speed Allison now av. and in a few weeks the new pumped up Duramax will be av. If memory serves, 360 hp and 650 torque. Good luck, Wrink
Old 09-26-2005, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I would say GM. Love my K3500 with the Dmax and Allison.
The new Ford from what I hear is going to be a 6.4 liter with sequential turbos.

Quick Reply: Chevy 3500HD diesel vs Ford 350 diesel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.