Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
What do you tow your 35+ ft. boat with? >

What do you tow your 35+ ft. boat with?

Notices

What do you tow your 35+ ft. boat with?

Old 10-19-2005, 04:12 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Re: What do you tow your 35+ ft. boat with?

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Yep, but its only 11,750 lbs. with out Craig behind the steering wheel making motor noises.

RingDaDingDingDingRingDingDing

Old 10-19-2005, 05:02 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

36 Baja Outlaw

2003 F-350 Powerstroke 6.0L 4X4

With Airlift airbags to smooth out the ride
Old 10-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

old relieable.............m.m...
Attached Thumbnails What do you tow your 35+ ft. boat with?-14.jpg  
Old 10-26-2005, 07:23 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LAKE EFFECT
My little F150 Lightning does a great job with heavy tow duty(311 on trailer 11300lbs). Air bags, weight distribution bars, 6 wheel electric brakes all help too. The Lightning comes from Ford as a high performance truck(5.8HO,HD trans,HD 4:10 diff,oil/trans coolers,and HDframe), turns out it tows good also. The short wheel base makes it a little scary over 65mph though. I'm going to use it to tow my 353 in the spring(12100lb on trailer), since I decided to upgrade the boat instead of the truck! FYI: the 311 is for sale, great boat!

sydwayz put it mildly, you are an accident waiting to happen... somebody pulls out in front of you and that truck doesn't have a chance of controlling those boats... i think you are confusing "HP" and "HD" in the your trucks case... your frame, axles, brakes and suspension aren't rated anywhere near what you are pulling... not to mention your GCWR is probably exceeded by 5 or 6k if not more... your "fixes" are band-aids... buy the correct truck and enjoy boating....
Old 10-26-2005, 07:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean H

sydwayz put it mildly, you are an accident waiting to happen... somebody pulls out in front of you and that truck doesn't have a chance of controlling those boats... i think you are confusing "HP" and "HD" in the your trucks case... your frame, axles, brakes and suspension aren't rated anywhere near what you are pulling... not to mention your GCWR is probably exceeded by 5 or 6k if not more... your "fixes" are band-aids... buy the correct truck and enjoy boating....
This truck actually does do a good job,I know it is not the best tow vehicle but it is not like he is towing all the time or great distances,If you know anything about these trucks you would know it is basically a short wheelbase f-250 2 wd.The eng,trans and rear are plenty capable of doing the job and have a stiffer frame from the factory over a reg f-150.The only big difference is that it is approx. 14" shorter than a f-250.
I have a 90 f-250 4x4 and I am the diesel sites all the time and I see it all the time that people are pulling 12-15,000 behind a f-2 or 350,that is also exeeding limits but you do what you have to do.I know there are more people here that tow way more than the truck should,look up the specs and see,In my opinion any boat bigger than 30 ft "should" be using a dually to be within spec,everyone have duallys??
Old 10-26-2005, 08:08 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 245 limited
This truck actually does do a good job,I know it is not the best tow vehicle but it is not like he is towing all the time or great distances,If you know anything about these trucks you would know it is basically a short wheelbase f-250 2 wd.The eng,trans and rear are plenty capable of doing the job and have a stiffer frame from the factory over a reg f-150.The only big difference is that it is approx. 14" shorter than a f-250.
I have a 90 f-250 4x4 and I am the diesel sites all the time and I see it all the time that people are pulling 12-15,000 behind a f-2 or 350,that is also exeeding limits but you do what you have to do.I know there are more people here that tow way more than the truck should,look up the specs and see,In my opinion any boat bigger than 30 ft "should" be using a dually to be within spec,everyone have duallys??
the brakes, suspension and axles are still suspect... i would still say the frame isn't anywhere near what he is towing, it doesn't matter what it is, it is what is stamped on it.... the "going" part is just a matter of preference, not really safety, the stopping and control in an emergency situtation will not be fun in that truck... nor is he legal... the fact that it sways at highway speeds means he his barely under control at slightly slower speeds... do you want to be next to him? i don't..

you be surprised how many people on here who have big boats, have big tow rigs... it shouldn't even be an option if you are buying boats that weigh 12k+... it shouldn't be a matter of making due with what you have, it would be a shame to lose everything you own because you cheaped out on your tow rig...

Last edited by Sean H; 10-26-2005 at 08:13 PM. Reason: spelling...
Old 10-26-2005, 08:18 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Idiots!!! Again!
Old 10-26-2005, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by OldSchool
I forgot to post mine. 2005 Chevy 2500HD with the Duramax/Allison combo and 4wd. I'm towing a Cig. 38' Top Gun and it weighs in at 11,999.
Craig, you talkin Gun weight including trailer? My specs say Gun at 10,500, then add the rest.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Byrdman
Idiots!!! Again!
Tom, find me a halfway decent dually, will ya??? Used
Old 10-26-2005, 08:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean H
the brakes, suspension and axles are still suspect... i would still say the frame isn't anywhere near what he is towing, it doesn't matter what it is, it is what is stamped on it.... the "going" part is just a matter of preference, not really safety, the stopping and control in an emergency situtation will not be fun in that truck... nor is he legal... the fact that it sways at highway speeds means he his barely under control at slightly slower speeds... do you want to be next to him? i don't..

you be surprised how many people on here who have big boats, have big tow rigs... it shouldn't even be an option if you are buying boats that weigh 12k+... it shouldn't be a matter of making due with what you have, it would be a shame to lose everything you own because you cheaped out on your tow rig...
I understand the issues,I am not trying to make problems here,I think that any vehicle can have the same problems in a emergency,my truck can handle some good loads and would still be scary under a emergency.He is doing with what he has and has taken as many precautions as possible,my whole point is that most of these boats are heavier than the trucks ratings that is all.It is hard to spend 45-50,000 on a truck for two pulls a year.

Quick Reply: What do you tow your 35+ ft. boat with?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.