Notices

chip for 06 PSD

Old 01-05-2006, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chip for 06 PSD

I am looking for a chip that I can put in my truck where I do not have to do any exhaust mods etc. Nothing real ratical, just some nice hp increases, or am I going to need to do the whole 9. Chip, air intake, exhaust, etc....

Last edited by thunderdan; 01-05-2006 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: chip for 06 PSD

If you only do one mod, do the exhaust. I ditched the cat and put two mufflers in line so it isn't as loud.

The second would be an air intake.

If you take it in for warranty work, take the air intake off and put the stock one on. The dealer won't give you much static about an exhaust but they will balk at motor repairs with the intake- don't know why.

If you do want to monkey with the ECU, what you want is a tuner, not a chip. You will definitely want one with the ability to monitor EGT and automatically de-fuel. There's a very fine line between big performance and toasted pistons when it comes to a turbodiesel. Plus a tuner is removeable for trips to the dealer. Look at EDGE, BullyDog or Banks.

P.S. Ford balks at engine repairs on these so if you toast something (whether you mod or not) be prepared with plenty of documentation on oil changes and have receipts for FORD oil filters. I don't know if anyone in the aftermarket has a 6.0 filter as of yet but if they open your motor and find one, you're in for a scrap. They will also send a sample of your oil out for analysis.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

www.innovativediesel.com. SCT custom tune chip, it works the best vs the others, actually shifts perfect, second place is the Edge Platinum, with level 6. which is out now. Exhaust, MBRP/DPPI/Silverline, come off the turbo, no cat is better into a muffler than cool duals. Mac air intake, only one with a 6" air tube vs 4 on everyone elses.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/downloa...toutReport.pdf

Just call me
Old 01-05-2006, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderdan
I am looking for a chip that I can put in my truck where I do not have to do any exhaust mods etc. Nothing real ratical, just some nice hp increases, or am I going to need to do the whole 9. Chip, air intake, exhaust, etc....
The only vehicle safe unit, for the 2006, thats makes great power and has excellent shifting is the SCT.

Click this link:
http://www.pmtchips.com/_e/Ford_Dies..._0L2003_06.htm

We give a discount for mentioning OSO!
Old 01-05-2006, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Troutly
Ford never balked an instant at the exhaust, nor did they request any maintenance records when the work was done (all oil changes done at a non-Ford dealer).

When I was writing about dealer hassles, it was when the warranty issue was somehow connected to the oil/maintenance. If you damage the short block, you'll get asked and hassled. Oil isn't really connected in any way to a head gasket.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Dan get the stuff from PMT good people. Buy multiple stuff get a discount. Get the exhaust and air intake and a guage for egts with a pillar mount keeping your grab handle, or I have a steering wheel column mount, perfect between gauges, looks factory. What PMT has is the std SCT, which is great. If you want for 100.00 send it to Innovative, talk with the owner Eric, get the modified custom tunes. I have the Xtreme Race with torque converter locked in 1-5 and a shifting at 4100, 4400 is max and too high for me. Truck turns 13.72 all day long in this tune. Then I have xtreme street with Pilot injection to only 1000 rpms, quiets motor at idle and slightly above, great for pulling in job sites and drive throughs. And lastly is the tow setting with additional jake brake, excellent for towing, torque is changed throughout the rev band. Jeff
Old 01-06-2006, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Troutly
OK. I see your point now. Although I agree they would request the oil change records if the failure was related to oil, I disagree with the Motorcraft oil filter part. They cannot tell you to use a specific filter unless they buy it for you. You can use whatever you wish as long as it meets their spec.

It cost my buddy $3500 in attorney's fees and he was just missing documentation. Bone-stock '04 psd with blown head gaskets at 18k/mi.- a known, common issue. They have nothing to lose by being hard-a$$ed and it's someone you never get to see- a Ford tech-rep. Dealer claims it's out of his hands. It's a good practice for them- if 1 or 2 in every ten blown-up motors accepts the "NO" they are quite a bit of dough ahead. I've heard a new PSD is 13K- whether that's parts or labor too, I don't know.

Too may people chip these diesels up 300hp or more and smoke the motor, then take it in crying about what a POS they are. it hurts everybody.