Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Quick Wiring Question On Brake Controller >

Quick Wiring Question On Brake Controller

Notices

Quick Wiring Question On Brake Controller

Old 01-15-2006, 05:29 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Quick Wiring Question On Brake Controller

04 PSD and I,m installing the Draw-tite Activator II, In the instructions it says to connect the the power wire directly to the battery with a 30A breaker, and the ground as well. Should I do this or is there an easier way? I'm figuring that this might be the only way to do it and not mess up the electrical system. The blue wire and the red wire are going to just hook up to the supplied factory harness.
I've got to get this right as I will be travelling up and down the Monteagle Mountain just outside Chattanooga right out of the box with my new rig. All of you know that have seen it that it is a monster! Not one to go down with 10K and no trailer brakes.
Thanks, Eric
Old 01-15-2006, 09:01 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Quick Wiring Question On Brake Controller

Directly to the battery so you are not pulling power from another circut, overloading it, then blowing a fuse. Then you will have no brakes along with whatever you tied into. 30 amp is a pretty good size circut. They don't want people tieing into an existing 10 amp and thinking they are good to go.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Install the power wire as instructed. The ground can be fastened to any metal part. Don't forget to check the system every time you start out. Also, check the fourway flashers do not activate the brakes. If they do you will need to install a pluse preventer in the system. Not all app will do this but if you should happen to use the 4-ways it will pluse the brakes as well.

Last edited by scottc; 01-15-2006 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read your owners manual your truck should already have a circuit for your brake box.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by muffman
Read your owners manual your truck should already have a circuit for your brake box.
My 00 S.D. did
Old 01-15-2006, 01:01 PM
Registered

My wiring harness appears to have all but a power lead to the battery. It has a ground, but the instructions say if the power goes right to the battery then to ground at the battery as well. Muffman and Birddog my manual says nothing about the controller. The supplied factory harness has a red, blue, white and a much smaller guage green.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You already have a prewired circuit in your truck that is set up for this. Get the harness out of your glove box, wire it to your controller correctly, plug it in and start using it.

The prewired circuit is fused correctly for this application. Don't let everyone make it more complicated than it already is.

I will be more than happy to call you and talk you through the details of the installation. Just by chance I installed about 20 of them this last week alone.

Buck
Old 01-15-2006, 09:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by KYElimEagle
My wiring harness appears to have all but a power lead to the battery. It has a ground, but the instructions say if the power goes right to the battery then to ground at the battery as well. Muffman and Birddog my manual says nothing about the controller. The supplied factory harness has a red, blue, white and a much smaller guage green.
Your red is the power source directly to the battery. This wire should go to black wire on your controller.

White is ground. Should go to white on controller.

Blue is the brake wire going to trailer brakes. Should go to blue wire on controller.

Green is the signal wire that will more than likely go to a red wire on your brake controller.

Plug it in and job done.

Buck
Old 01-16-2006, 05:29 AM
Registered

Thanks for the reply Buck, that tells me what I need to know, thanks for taking the time.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:21 AM
Registered

NP.

Be safe towing that big trailer.

Buck

Quick Reply: Quick Wiring Question On Brake Controller

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.